Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Dealership wash caused scratches

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 09:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealership wash caused scratches

My 800 mile, 2.5 month old 2016 A6 Prestige had a faulty sensor so I scheduled a service appointment at the only local dealership where I bought the car. 3 days later my car was repaired and they were so happy to inform me that they "washed" it for me. Never did they ask me if I wanted it washed (by a bunch of brushes - no touchless here) and I didn't know that they would do this without asking. I only handwash, myself.
There are signficant scratches, swirls, and spiderwebbing not only on the Mythos Black metallic paint but also on the bumper and pillars.
The manager has offered his apologies but states that the only way he can help me is if the body shop is allowed to repair the damage. A 3rd party detail shop has estimated 5-6 hours of work. I'm not trusting the dealership right now.
Does anybody have a similar experience or advice?
Old 06-28-2015, 02:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 873 Likes on 714 Posts

When I drop the car off for service I always hang a sign on the dashboard "please do not take the car to the car wash. Thank you." You should do the same.
Old 06-28-2015, 03:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Well, you have four options.

First, take them up on their offer to repair. Fixing swirls isn't terribly hard but it will likely take a full correction on a Black car, not just a single pass like most colors. If these are the "detail" guys that screw up most cars at delivery then I wouldn't bother, but if they're going to have the body shop do it, the same guys that would paint and buff your car after a repair, then you're probably ok. If you go this route, make sure that you're clear with them that it was perfect when it went in and that it will be perfect when it comes out. If they can't meet those standards then you WILL insist on them doing it again or sending it out to a 3rd party.

Second, you could continue leaning on them to get them to pay for a 3rd party repair. You'll likely need to escalate to the dealership GM if the service manager isn't budging.

Third, sue them for the cost to repair. This is a horrible idea and you'll likely lose at this point. It's an option though if they can't repair in-house and then refuse to pay for a 3rd party.

Fourth, live with it or correct it yourself.

Me? If they really do have a collision center on-site with a paint booth then there's probably no harm in letting them do it. They probably can't make things worse (and on the off chance they do something that can't be repaired tell them you want a new car). I would make sure that the dealership GM knows though. Do not try and milk it now for some kind of accommodation. Be a reasonable, forgiving (if they can repair correctly) person and keep this in your back pocket as leverage later.
Old 06-28-2015, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I make it clear to dealer not to wash my car when I bring it to service.
Old 06-28-2015, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by qqq1970
I make it clear to dealer not to wash my car when I bring it to service.
We all know what car washes do to the paint, and we all know that Audi sends the cars to the car wash after being serviced, so telling the dealer not to send it to the car wash is a must.
Old 06-28-2015, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Never let your dealer wash the car unless you want the dealer installed swirl option, free of charge

When I ordered mine, I made it very clear at delivery they were not to wash it.

And I put a sign in - please do not wash - any time I take it to be serviced
Old 06-28-2015, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Finally something we agree on! Lol
Old 06-28-2015, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Maverick61
Never let your dealer wash the car unless you want the dealer installed swirl option, free of charge

When I ordered mine, I made it very clear at delivery they were not to wash it.

And I put a sign in - please do not wash - any time I take it to be serviced
I was at Sewickley Audi last week and waiting for my car, a lady came in very angry that her A7 wasn't washed. She asked when did the dealership stop washing cars? The service manager quickly apologies and said he would send someone to get it washed and told her to wait 15 minutes. I quickly told her, I'm sure everyone has been asking them to NOT wash their cars, just like me. Then I told her that her car will have many scratches and swirls with a clean surface if you let them wash her car. She didn't care, she told me if the car looks all scratched up, all the more reason to get her hubby to get her a new car... It must be nice...
Old 06-29-2015, 03:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

A body shop doesn't know how to fix swirl marks on a black car.

Only a professional detailer with years of experience can do this properly.

It practically takes an advanced engineering degree to get it right. LOL
Old 06-29-2015, 03:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
A body shop doesn't know how to fix swirl marks on a black car.

Only a professional detailer with years of experience can do this properly.

It practically takes an advanced engineering degree to get it right. LOL
I realize that the education system has been lowering its standards for many years but "an advanced engineering degree" to get rid of paint swirls wasn't even offered a few years back.

Quick Reply: Dealership wash caused scratches