Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Dealership wash caused scratches

Old 06-29-2015, 03:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by DB22
I realize that the education system has been lowering its standards for many years but "an advanced engineering degree" to get rid of paint swirls wasn't even offered a few years back.
I was making an attempt at humor.

Nevertheless, the underlying point is that proper paint restoration is NOT a simple process that any person with a buffer machine can do. It takes training and experience to get it right. A dealership or car body shop will not have anyone working there who knows the correct methods. Only a true professional detailer will do it correctly.

There are only 2 people I know who I trust to even wash my car. Me and my detailer in Florida. I recently moved to SC, and I'm worried because I haven't found a good detailer yet. I'm afraid they don't exist here.

Last edited by subterFUSE; 06-29-2015 at 03:28 AM.
Old 06-29-2015, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
I was making an attempt at humor.

I got your humor, I was just making an observation in case any students were reading and looking for a career in paint swirls
Old 06-29-2015, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The last time I took my car in to the dealer it was spotlessly clean, they had it for 3 days, washed it and I picked it up the following day. The overnight dust and pollen was on it and they parked next to some sprinklers. I complained and the service guy got the cleaner guy to come to the parking lot and detail it. After he had finished it still was not as clean as when I had taken it in.
A few days later a company rep called me to thank me for the business and to ask if everything was to my satisfaction! Sometimes, even I get fed up with complaining!

There are a lot of people, including numerous members of this forum, who take great pride in the look of their car. It's not rocket science to notice that the cars appearance upon arrival is that of a person who goes above and beyond what some people may consider normal and respect the owners personal concerns. To think that an automated car wash at a dealership is going to satisfy an enthusiast is a business decision that is naïve.
Old 06-29-2015, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Slightly off topic but has anyone ever taken their car to a dealer or to a mechanic and not had that person leave a scuff mark on the sill, kick panel or speaker grill?
Old 06-29-2015, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DB22
Slightly off topic but has anyone ever taken their car to a dealer or to a mechanic and not had that person leave a scuff mark on the sill, kick panel or speaker grill?
In Korea, they dealers have a detailer that handles all the cars every time the cars come in for services. So the cars most of the time come in cleaner than dropped off.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Speaking of dealers, my paint since I got the car slightly used about 1 year ago not only already had swirl/spiderweb stuff, but, also has a strange holographic effect. I'm about to send it off to the detailer to get it cleaned up, but, seriously what causes that holographic effect? Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Did the dealer have somebody with a buffer or something that didn't know what he was doing?

Full disclosure: I sometimes wash my car with Dawn. So I may very well be responsible for all terrible things with my cars paint.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by 2014a6tdi
Speaking of dealers, my paint since I got the car slightly used about 1 year ago not only already had swirl/spiderweb stuff, but, also has a strange holographic effect. I'm about to send it off to the detailer to get it cleaned up, but, seriously what causes that holographic effect? Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Did the dealer have somebody with a buffer or something that didn't know what he was doing?

Full disclosure: I sometimes wash my car with Dawn. So I may very well be responsible for all terrible things with my cars paint.
I use Dawn when I'm getting ready to wax my car as it strips off the old wax.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by ColoradoMark
I use Dawn when I'm getting ready to wax my car as it strips off the old wax.
Not a good idea to wash with Dawn though unless you are ready to wax afterward. Prob why the prev poster is having issues. He removes the wax then there's no protection left on the paint.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2014a6tdi

I was told that when the paint has that effect, the car must have been repainted and been washed with soap prior to the car paint being cured. I had a few scratched on my car from the delivery truck and they sent the car to be repainted and I was instructed not to wash my car for at least 30 days and another 30 days before I can put any wrap on it. Otherwise you will get that holographic image and or rainbow effect in the paint. Check with the dealer to see if the car was repainted prior to you purchasing it.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This post was timely as I just got an appt with the detailer this weekend. Not sure why I didn't just ask them versus posting in this forum, but, hopefully this information is helpful to someone...

Just called the detailer and he said that effect I'm seeing is generally due to someone using a buffer that doesn't know what they are doing. He said no problem clearing the spider webs and the holographic effect when he's done.

Then I called the dealer. They do have their detailers not only wash & clean the car, but, CPO's are buffed as well. There is no record of the car being repainted.