Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Deer hit - poor A6

Old 07-14-2014, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by irenesbob
derfA8L - I read something similar. One of the articles I read said that the leasing company (Audi/VW) has its own insurance in place to protect them in the event they have to eat the diminished value on a returned leased vehicle. Well, I guess I just have to wait and see.
I purposely got the insurer to tow the car to my dealer's preferred/recommended body shop and the parts are all new I am told. the detailed estimate I got sure looks like the price of new parts.
I'm confident that you will have absolutely zero problems with AFS related to your accident when you turn in your car. I hope all the repairs to your car are satisfactory to you, and that your A6 provides many more miles of fun driving---sans any further wildlife misadventures ;-)
Old 07-14-2014, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by derfA8L
I'm confident that you will have absolutely zero problems with AFS related to your accident when you turn in your car. I hope all the repairs to your car are satisfactory to you, and that your A6 provides many more miles of fun driving---sans any further wildlife misadventures ;-)
Thanks. Hopefully the only wildlife misadventures will be the damned birds that seem to love to crap on nice cars. My bottle of detailing spray and a microfiber towel are always in the trunk for just such situations!
Old 07-14-2014, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm confident that you will have absolutely zero problems with AFS related to your accident when you turn in your car.
And if not, It's good to know you'll send Bob a check to cover any extra charges at lease end.
Old 07-15-2014, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by snagitseven
And if not, It's good to know you'll send Bob a check to cover any extra charges at lease end.
LOL---He'd have better luck getting the deer's estate to fork over the $. ;-).

But, based on my own experience, I seriously doubt he'll have a problem if the car is repaired to spec.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Just discussed with my dealer. He says AFS does not charge back for diminished value (as long as repairs are performed according to spec with OEM or approved parts). They take the risk, not the lessee. He's had multiple customers returning their leased cars that were repaired following an accident with no financial ramifications from AFS. According to him, you'd have to turn over a car with wavy body panels painted in crayon for AFS to bring up a diminished value claim against you. An exaggeration surely, by I think you get the point.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I got my car back today, after 29 days of driving a Chevy Sonic. The Sonic surprised me for being as good as it is at that price point (I can get a new 2014 Sonic LS equipped as my rental was for $15,800) but once I adjusted the seats, wheel, etc. for my fit and got moving the A6 seemed so much better than what I had been driving – wow!
So far, so good in terms of how it looks and runs. The initial estimate was $15,253. They got the insurer to approve a supplemental increase and now it is $19,062, with me paying the $500 deductible. To me this is an amazing amount of money to repair anything.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just discussed with my dealer. He says AFS does not charge back for diminished value (as long as repairs are performed according to spec with OEM or approved parts). They take the risk, not the lessee. He's had multiple customers returning their leased cars that were repaired following an accident with no financial ramifications from AFS. According to him, you'd have to turn over a car with wavy body panels painted in crayon for AFS to bring up a diminished value claim against you. An exaggeration surely, by I think you get the point.
Hmm, I always buy, but this is a point in the lease column.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

This is especially important with higher cost cars. Likewise, I initially had hoped they would total the car and I could get something new, since I never trust repairs. However, the value of my car was in the high $30K range and so no deal. On a cheaper car (Chevy Malibu maybe) or an older one the same amount of damage (even adjusted for lower parts costs) may have led to the car being totaled. Not sure I am explaining this clearly, but I do have a point in mind. lol
The insurer said they look for around 80% of value as the threshhold to declare a vehicle totaled.