Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Diesel Polution

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Electric cars are not necessarily zero emissions vehicles. Particularly in the US where we burn coal in old low-tech dirty plants.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DB22
I assume that you are referring to the demise of gas/diesel as being replaced with electric? This will require more power stations which will pollute so it will promote solar. Elon Musk is the one with the broad smile on his face

I must admit, however, that if you ride your bike in a majority diesel city then you learn to hate diesels but the A6 is impressive: no smoke and no smell of note.
I'm not talking about the demise of any technology. PM, NOx and Carbon Dioxide are the issues (CO is under control with catalytic converters)

I'd say PM and NOx are getting under control. So carbon dioxide is the focus.

If carbon dioxide is bad then zero emissions (at least for now) is achievable via battery or fuel cell. You can argue "power plant" environmental impact, however, there is huge value in new generation technologies pushing environmental improvements rather than that responsibility pushed onto consumers (smog test, etc). If the cars are zero emissions (battery) then new generations of power plants automatically cleanup the environment versus waiting for polluting cars to age off the road.

I personally am waiting for my Back to the Future "Mr. Fusion" powering my flux capacitor.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Looks like an official EPA charge that VW/Audi has been playing around with pollution measurements:

EPA says VW intentionally violates clean air standards

I guess that's one interpretation of "Truth in Engineering"
Old 09-18-2015, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let's not forget about the rest of the world where the car sales for Diesel engines below 2.0 liters is much higher. The tough regulations on annual taxes for any engine larger than 1.999 liters wants to make you puke. The clean diesel and none clean diesel regulations for sub 2.0 liter engines are lacking.

I remember here was a publishing several years ago from the WHO's study conducted about how the smaller Diesel engines being worse than second hand smoking...
Old 09-18-2015, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Fahrer
Electric cars are not necessarily zero emissions vehicles. Particularly in the US where we burn coal in old low-tech dirty plants.
The implication of your argument is that you are simply moving pollution around. I don't buy it.

With one stroke of the EPA's pen those coal power plants could be phased out in favor of something less polluting. Here in California during the Enron created energy crisis nat gas peaker plants popped up everywhere seemingly overnight. However the transition away from coal power needs to be done in a way so the working poor and folks under the poverty line don't have to bear significant cost for that transition. Smog fees transition to power plant upgrade fees maybe? Dunno.

This is about enabling technology that allows pollution to be more easily managed that is good for the citizens of 'murica.
Old 09-18-2015, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 2014a6tdi
The implication of your argument is that you are simply moving pollution around. I don't buy it.

With one stroke of the EPA's pen those coal power plants could be phased out in favor of something less polluting. Here in California during the Enron created energy crisis nat gas peaker plants popped up everywhere seemingly overnight. However the transition away from coal power needs to be done in a way so the working poor and folks under the poverty line don't have to bear significant cost for that transition. Smog fees transition to power plant upgrade fees maybe? Dunno.

This is about enabling technology that allows pollution to be more easily managed that is good for the citizens of 'murica.
It's worse than that. It is moving the energy generation from a relatively clean technology ( modern gasoline engines) to an extremely dirty one (coal combustion particulates, mercury,etc). It would would be much easier and more effective to clean up power plants than millions of cars but it is not done due to the energy lobbies.
Old 09-18-2015, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts
Default VW Is Said to Cheat on Diesel Emissions; U.S. Orders Big Recall

Well, this is not good news for Audi.

09/18/2015: EPA, California Notify Volkswagen of Clean Air Act Violations

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/19/bu...ware.html?_r=0
Old 09-18-2015, 07:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

tsk, tsk....if true, VW will join the ranks of Ford and Honda both of which have been caught doing the alleged trickery....Honda involved 1.6 million vehicles.

see: http://www2.epa.gov/sites/production...nts/defeat.pdf

Unfortunately, if true VW/diesel may get blasted as this administration really pushes the gospel of electric vehicles, which one day may be realistic, affordable and practical (think long family trips: soccer/hockey tournaments). Trust that they realize that an increase in electric vehicles may require a concomitant increase in power plants to satisfy the increased demand for electricity..........power plants will have to burn something as wind/solar not quite ready to replace coal.........sorry for digression
Old 09-19-2015, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

A6 TDI is not one of the named models with defeat device.
Old 09-20-2015, 01:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 180 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Fahrer
Many countries have higher taxes or higher vehicle registration fees for cars with 2.0 L or larger. Therefore many engines are 1999 cc or less.
During the 70s and 80s things were so bad in Italy that Ferrari made 2.0 V8 for the domestic market https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrari_Dino_engine

Quick Reply: Diesel Polution