Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Differential options worth it???

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 09:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Differential options worth it???

Anyone purchased or have experience with Quaife differential units and know if these really do deliver???

I was asked at work today.. "What's your next mod"?
uhm... I had no answer for once. I was stumped! I'm VERY happy and content with my car. THAT!; in itself is quite amazing for those that know me since I can't leave well enough alone LOL.

Then I remembered... the greatest mod I ever did on a previous non-Audi build was completely unexpected and yielded unparalleled rewards that I took for granted.

A Heavy Duty built transmission with an LSD unit that planted HP to the ground to both sides of the car. It kept my launches straight, and it kept me better connected to the ground. I didn't have to strong-arm the steering wheel hoping I could hold the car straight under the barrage of Horsepower being set free!! My Car launched like a bat-out-of-hell with minimal resistance. My car chirped tires when I slammed the pedal at 2nd AND 3rd gears. I could skip shift from 4th gear down to 2nd and bask in the joy of MAJOR torque!! (custom tuning used). "Thank you Intense-Racing for that 3rd Gen LSD"

So anyone purchased or have experience with the Quaife units and know if these really do deliver?

I see Front and Rear Quaife Differentials available, and ALSO a Stasis center differential available.

If you have any of these, or know someon that does I'd appreciate your input.

Thank you.
Old 08-21-2015, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you track your car a lot it might be worth it, but otherwise I think there are other mods that would give you more bang for the buck including:
Pulley and chip
Big Brake kit
Anti-roll bars (ahh, I see you've done these)
Coilovers
Old 08-22-2015, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can't imagine a Quaife differential improving the Audi Quattro system IMHO. So I would suggest for your next upgrade a tune.
Old 08-23-2015, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks guys. Still trying to learn about the quattro platform as I never had 4-wheel drive before. So wasn't sure. Appreciate the suggestions. I don't plan to track my car just yet. I think i'm a year or two away from mid-life crisis still. But Once car is all done and I've enjoyed it for a while I'd be looking forward to a few fun occasional track events.

I purchased Eibach springs for the A6 instead of coil overs due past experience. I wanted to retain some smoothness to my ride quality and instead opted for stiffer springs paired with stock shocks this time around. However now I'm not sure if I want to install the springs and lower the car. Starting to worry about body damage on curb and parking bumpers with rebar sticking out on a lowered car.

I'll definitely nix looking into differentials for now.
Thank you.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I would be more interested in a sport differential than a limited slip. If needed, the sport diff sends power to the outside rear wheel in a hard corner.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by tenspeed
I would be more interested in a sport differential than a limited slip. If needed, the sport diff sends power to the outside rear wheel in a hard corner.
Ahh, this is where I believe some of us differ in understanding of what a differential is. Descriptions change but purpose remains the same. It's all marketing trying to re-invent the wheel, LOL. Maybe I'm still confused. But......

I could give you the time marker to skip past the boring part, but I had to sit through it to better understand. Maybe you don't need the prologue and can grasp it quicker than I did; But for those like me that needed the introduction to better understand, suck it up! And enjoy a timeless video for what it's worth!

Old 08-24-2015, 11:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Here's a short explanation of the sport diff. Sorry no motorcycle stunts or girls running in barrels...

Old 08-25-2015, 03:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

The 2005 Acura RL, I think, was the first all wheel drive system with torque vectoring where increasing the torque to the outside wheel, both front and rear, was done instead of using breaking of the inside wheel. My DIS display was 99% set to watching the torque distribution menu but it was difficult to see because the steering wheel spokes got it the way when pushing hard through a corner!
Today just about everybody with AWD has a torque vectoring system even a fairly cheap Subi.