Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Distant train whistle sound?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Distant train whistle sound?

After a bit of driving when I slow down or stop my car makes a soft wailing sound, like a distant train whistle. The first couple of times it did it I actually rolled my window down to listen wondering how I could possible be hearing a train from where I was.

I am going to have it looked at, but, of course, getting it to manifest for the dealer may be problematic. Anyone experienced anything similar or have any ideas what it might be?

Thanks in advance
Old 09-23-2013, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I have that exact same sound in my S6.

I literally told my wife it sounds like a train in the distance.
The Amtrak rail runs right through our town so we are very used to hearing trains.

I have assumed it is just a noise from one of the car's systems, and is normal.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't heard anything like that but if you don't think it will happen for the dealer then take a video with sound whenever you hear it happening.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gatorguy7
I haven't heard anything like that but if you don't think it will happen for the dealer then take a video with sound whenever you hear it happening.
Because of the nature of the sound, "distant" and not loud, I fear recording it will be difficult. However it drives me nuts.

(I had a friend that had squirrels in his attic so he put one of those noise makers that only squirrels can hear to try to drive them off. Instead it drove him nuts as he could hear it constantly.)
Old 09-23-2013, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Homer1946
Because of the nature of the sound, "distant" and not loud, I fear recording it will be difficult. However it drives me nuts.

(I had a friend that had squirrels in his attic so he put one of those noise makers that only squirrels can hear to try to drive them off. Instead it drove him nuts as he could hear it constantly.)
Your story cracked me up.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the same sound and I think it is related to the AC. When I hear it when stoped if I turn off the AC the sound stops. Try it and see. Hope this helps.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 93 Likes on 43 Posts

Does it come and go or vary in frequency/intensity with the climate fan speed? My allroad has a noisy fan bearing - not as loud as a train whistle though; more like a subtle whine but only at a certain fan speed. We've gotten fond of it over the years - It's actually a member of the family now and we would be sad to see it go.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yep. It looks like it is climate control related. Will have to do some more testing.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Homer1946
Yep. It looks like it is climate control related. Will have to do some more testing.
Funny when I saw the title for this. Yeah, my 2012 makes the same sound with the A/C on. Only notice it at stops. And yes, sounds like a distant train whistle. Fairly consistent volume and frequency. Doesn't change with acceleration.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

The dealer has now had my car for 3 days, and has replaced several parts related to the climate control system, and still they are working on it. They are now conferring with Audi technical support.

I miss my car...

Quick Reply: Distant train whistle sound?