Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Distant train whistle sound?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Update.

They have not figured out what it causing the noise but they checked a new A6 straight off the truck and it also has the noise. They say it should NOT be present so they are talking to the engineers in Germany.

Meanwhile I am chillin with a loaner S4.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
I have exactly the same sound from my YOM2013 A6...
I have highlighted to my dealer before, but I could not replicate it. The service advisor did a check and said he could not detect any problem. However, its still there.
I realise it usually happens during low/slow speeds or when braking and its most definitely the A/C.

Keep us posted if Audi finds a fix, and if there is a TSB.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yet another update.

The dealer has had the car for 9 days. They are now saying that Audi has identified this as a common issue, they have no solution for it, and they have decided they are going to use my car as the one to figure it out on (lucky me).

The service manger says they can perfectly reproduce the noise at will. They also report THEY have started following the forums to see if anybody has reported a solution. They HAVE isolated the noise to the compressor. That gets replaced next.

I still miss my car.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:08 AM
Banned

It's good to see that they are taking care of you. From personal experience, if it was a Mercedes or VW, the noise would have been dismissed. 4 years later on my MB, the noise still exists, but now that the car is out of warranty, the diagnosis is suddenly a faulty harmonic balancer for the belt... go figure!

Originally Posted by Homer1946
Yet another update.

The dealer has had the car for 9 days. They are now saying that Audi has identified this as a common issue, they have no solution for it, and they have decided they are going to use my car as the one to figure it out on (lucky me).

The service manger says they can perfectly reproduce the noise at will. They also report THEY have started following the forums to see if anybody has reported a solution. They HAVE isolated the noise to the compressor. That gets replaced next.

I still miss my car.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I still have the train sound in my car.

Most noticeable when the car has just come to a complete stop at a stop sign or traffic signal.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Was told by the dealer yesterday that the sound is normal (was also present on my loaner) and it's noise coming from a diverter flap in the cooling system. I didn't get into too many technicals with him about it but he explained that when the flap is not completely closed it allows air to pass through causing the whistling sound. In any case, they've had it reported on many other cars and they deem it normal.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

That's what I always thought it was. My BMW made a similar noise after the engine was turned off, which I always assumed was the outside air vent flaps closing.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Sickler
Was told by the dealer yesterday that the sound is normal (was also present on my loaner) and it's noise coming from a diverter flap in the cooling system. I didn't get into too many technicals with him about it but he explained that when the flap is not completely closed it allows air to pass through causing the whistling sound. In any case, they've had it reported on many other cars and they deem it normal.
We are all somewhat at the mercy of our dealers. My dealer is adamant that the sound, although frequently reported, is not normal and that Audi just has not had a fix yet. They have now escalated it to regional and the regional technical person is working on the car today.

We'll the good news is that my new car now has many new parts...wait...
Old 10-16-2013, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Sickler
That's what I thought too. I was hearing a strange humming noise from the air vent at the base of the center of the windshield while I was at stopped at a traffic light with the radio off, so everything else was pretty quiet.

I played with the manual air flow controls and found that one of the settings caused that windshield vent to close and the noise went away. It was like that vent was piping the sounds of the radiator fan, etc from the engine bay into the cabin.

Note that if the climate control is set to auto, that particular vent may be set to open or close depending on the temperature conditions, so not everyone will get this.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I went for my an oil change service today, and asked the authorised distributor about the distant train sound from the a/c. They acknowledged its a known issue, likely attributed to the a/c compressor, both in the 2.8 and 2.0 A6 C7s.

In the 2.8 variant, they have changed out the compressor to a different one, which has fixed the issue.
However in the 2.0TFSI (which I have), there is no known fix at this time. They said that replacement of the compressor won't necessarily solve the problem. At this point, they have highlighted to Audi as a "hollow" sound coming from engine/dashboard, and awaiting a fix.

So its certainly not recognized as a "normal" incident, but at least the response seems quite consistent from my part of the world (Singapore) that they will await a fix from Audi.

Pls share if Audi has identified a fix. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Distant train whistle sound?