Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Distant train whistle sound?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 06:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have my car being worked on for this exact same issue. Had the TSB performed but didn't help. Still waiting for the next appointment.
Old 09-26-2016, 05:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'd be curious as to whether they can determine any other solution aside from the TSB, which I believe I already had done as well. The noise was "better" for a few days and then returned. I still hear it when the compressor is running, usually at idle.

Please keep us posted!
Old 09-26-2016, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Nakedhoof
As an aside...

On my wife's 2008 A4 with the 3.2L V6, there's a sound when the car shuts down that sounds like a force field being deactivated and powering down on the Death Star. I have no idea what causes it, my force field seems to be working, and I can't find Obi Wan under the hood, anywhere.

Maybe Yoda will chime in and tell me what part of the force is causing this...
I wouldn't worry unless it starts making a wookie noise.
Old 10-05-2016, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

I've been experiencing this for a while now, and it's super frustrating. Went into the dealer for my 15k service, explained the issue, and asked them to perform TSB 2044717/2. They did it without making me demonstrate the whining noise, which was good because it seems to come and go. It helps that I had complained about it at the 5k service too.

I asked them for a printout of the TSB for you guys, so here it is -- enjoy! It's good to see they have finally accepted that this is an issue.

No whining since the work was done... fingers crossed!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
TSB 2044717-2.pdf (1.61 MB, 400 views)
Old 10-10-2016, 05:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by smhirsch
I'd be curious as to whether they can determine any other solution aside from the TSB, which I believe I already had done as well. The noise was "better" for a few days and then returned. I still hear it when the compressor is running, usually at idle.

Please keep us posted!
Well, I had a recall/advisory notice to have a reprogram done on the exhaust/catalytic system, so while I had my vehicle scheduled for that to be done, I shared the TSB about the counter-weight/modification with my service writer. Fortunately since I have Audi Care Plus, it was only an $85 deductible to have this done, which was completed this past Friday 10/7.

It's been cool enough in St. Louis that I haven't had a real need for A/C so it's difficult to determine whether the issue is fixed, but I'm hopeful.
Old 01-05-2017, 10:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Had the TSB done under warranty (I've been complaining about it for years) and sure enough, the "whistle" is gone.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

For those where this TSB fixed the problem, is the repair still working?

And was it the same noise as what is heard in this video? (raise volume high, its under the engine noise)

My B8.5 S4's AC is making the same exact noise whenever the compressor is on, possibly louder, ...and dealer is insisting that it is normal. Hoping I can inspire them with this TSB to try a little harder.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Doesnt apply to my car unfortunately(A6). Have this whistling / whining noise that comes through the ac system vents and gets louder / softer according to acceleration/deceleration. Duplicated for dealer, but they aren't interested in looking into it. They say its normal. Noise drives me crazy.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mrchntmarine
Doesnt apply to my car unfortunately(A6). Have this whistling / whining noise that comes through the ac system vents and gets louder / softer according to acceleration/deceleration. Duplicated for dealer, but they aren't interested in looking into it. They say its normal. Noise drives me crazy.
Did you show them the TSB? It applies to A6's...
Old 05-04-2017, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Raiden256
Did you show them the TSB? It applies to A6's...
maybe i misread it, i guess at the top where it says model year, thats for the particular car listed, not for the tsb, right?

Quick Reply: Distant train whistle sound?