Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Does Audi consider the A7 more sporty than the A6?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by EasyRider
Something else I don't completely understand is why auto manufacturers often save their best luxury features for the biggest or most sporty models. I simply don't want a car the size of an A8 or BMW 7-series, and I don't want a stiff suspension.

I was actually originally interested in a BMW 3-series, which is a fantastic car, but the interior is somewhat cheap compared to the 5-series or 7-series. I really like the M3's interior with full leather, but it's simply not a luxury car (a lot of fun to drive, but a pretty stiff suspension and a lot of ambient noise on the highway). But you can't get full leather on a regular 3-series, and you can't get the really nice BMW multi-contour seats on any 3-series.

Car manufacturers ain't stupid, so I'm sure they are just simplifying their offerings based on what the market demands, but I do wonder how many people would want the top-grade interior on the smaller or mid-sized sedans.
I am with you on this issue. I actually think the Audi A5 sort of fits that “sweet spot” compromise between luxury and a relatively smaller size and weight. That being said, in order to get some of the luxury (sport seats with pull-out thigh extender) in the US you have to get the Sport Package with its very harsh ride characteristics. I bought a new townhouse last fall and after moving in I discovered how narrow my garage is (9’ 7”). My 2013 A6 is very tight and I can never open any of the doors except at a very narrow angle. I am looking for a new car after my lease is up the end of November and hopefully I can get an Audi model that is more compact, yet luxurious. I was hoping the updated 2016 Q3 would have a better drive train since it is 21.3” shorter and 2.6” narrower than my A6. With the Q3’s shorter length I could angle the vehicle as I pull in and wind up with more walk-around room in the garage. I still might go that route with a Prestige Q3 with the Sport Package that includes better seats but luckily not a stiffened sport suspension as that package comes with in other Audi models. I am not really into tech features, so the older MMI in the Q3 probably wouldn’t bother me as much as it does others at AW. An A3/S3 might work, but I just don’t like the look of the interior.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I was surprised to see that the Q7 followed the interior theme of the 4/5 series rather than the upscale 6/7 series.
As Snagit said, all of the interiors are changing to be soft key and menu driven because they add new features but have no room for more switches etc, besides, the press get confused with too many switches.
I too am another one who wants the nice features of the high end models but want a smaller version. The problem is that it sometimes costs more to package A8 features into an A3 car.
Old 08-04-2015, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Two different cars for two different target audiences. Those attracted to the A7 are attracted to the unique styling and want the additional exclusivity.
I'm in this camp - this is what attracted me to the A7. For me it's a sporty-looking family car.

Originally Posted by ben_aip
post this in the A7/S7 forum and I guarantee you'll get completely opposite responses and opinions.
Since this is in the A6 forum, I'd be curious on A6-owner opinions about the look of the A7 with spoiler deployed. I think in the A7 community there are mixed opinions, some think it looks cool but many prefer the fastback lines with the spoiler closed...

Originally Posted by irenesbob
Where i live in NYS virtually all the A7's I see are driven by women, maybe it was designed to appeal to women and that is why I don't "feel it."
Here it seems like the A7 owners are about 50/50, but I will say that my car does get compliments from ladies more than any other car I've owned -- so your theory has some merit, but not necessarily a bad thing
Old 08-04-2015, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

I've never been a fan of motorized rear wings on street cars. My understanding is you need to be going faster than 100 mph or so for the downforce to have much effect. Also, I would think that a rear wheel drive vehicle would benefit more than a Quattro. In any case, I believe its more for the "cool factor" than for real performance benefit. (Now, if we're talking ventilated seats, there's no "cool factor" or performance benefit to speak of).
And on the interstate it looks a bit dorky to me on an A7 or a hopped up Subaru.
I'm sure an A7 owner will disagree.

Last edited by snagitseven; 08-04-2015 at 07:20 AM.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tman007
I'm in this camp - this is what attracted me to the A7. For me it's a sporty-looking family car.

Since this is in the A6 forum, I'd be curious on A6-owner opinions about the look of the A7 with spoiler deployed. I think in the A7 community there are mixed opinions, some think it looks cool but many prefer the fastback lines with the spoiler closed...

Here it seems like the A7 owners are about 50/50, but I will say that my car does get compliments from ladies more than any other car I've owned -- so your theory has some merit, but not necessarily a bad thing
I see almost all men driving the 7 where I am.

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I've never been a fan of motorized rear wings on street cars. My understanding is you need to be going faster than 100 mph or so for the downforce to have much effect. Also, I would think that a rear wheel drive vehicle would benefit more than a Quattro. In any case, I believe its more for the cool factor than for real performance benefit. And on the interstate it looks a bit dorky to me on an A7 or a hopped up Subaru.
I'm sure an A7 owner will disagree.
I'm. 7 owner and agree with you. Actually, I'm one of the 7 owners who thinks the rear of the car is too "droopy". But the front and front 3/4 view are killer. In fact, the 7 is the only Audi sedan that I can easily identify coming at me because of the low, wide look. I have trouble telling the 4, 6, and 8 apart coming or going.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by jjsC6
Actually, I'm one of the 7 owners who thinks the rear of the car is too "droopy". But the front and front 3/4 view are killer. In fact, the 7 is the only Audi sedan that I can easily identify coming at me because of the low, wide look. I have trouble telling the 4, 6, and 8 apart coming or going.
I agree with you on the A7 from the front as well as your comments regarding how hard it si to spot whether it is 4, 6 or 8 coming toward you. I would add the A3 to that list. The new TT ought to easy to spot!
Old 08-05-2015, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Where I used to live, the A7 was considered the trophy wives's cars. Where I currently live I still more women driving the A7 vs the A6. The droopy look in the rear made my mind for the A6. The drive is nice, more nimble. With two kids, I needed a bigger rear seating area. The A5 sports back as someone already mentioned, IMO is a much better looking car, but lacks power under the hood. I test drove it in Korea a few years ago and they only have the 2.0 TDi engine configuration for that market.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Inyoury
Where I used to live, the A7 was considered the trophy wives's cars..
Exactly. Where I lived until late last year (Westchester County, NY) in the richer enclaves (Scarsdale, Edgewood) it was only the coiffed, Armani clad women of leisure that I ever saw in A7's as the valet was waiting to park the car at the hairdresser or day spa. Just saying.
I would add that in those areas men usually drove A8's, not A6's, so I saw the A7 as the wife's version of the A8 in a way.

Last edited by irenesbob; 08-05-2015 at 07:54 AM.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

My wife may not be coiffed or Armani clad but she does drive our A6. Sometimes, when I let her.
(Actually, for some reason that she can't really explain to me, she prefers driving her low mileage '02 allroad).
Old 08-05-2015, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

For some reason the men in the area I use to live perfered the Mercedes CLS63 or the BMW M6. So I was one of the poorer guys with an A6. I'm just glad my wife was happy with her Q5. Would have hated to spend $100k for an A7 to compete with the trophy wives.

Quick Reply: Does Audi consider the A7 more sporty than the A6?