Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Driver side vent blows less air compared to passenger side

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver side vent blows less air compared to passenger side

Hi All,

I have been dealing with an issue (in my mind) where the vent to the right of the driver side is blowing air slower then the other vents. I usually run my climate control on auto, when the temperature in the car normalizes and fan speed lowers down, I can barely feel any air coming out from the driver side vent.

Took it to the dealer twice, first time they increased the blower speed which seemed to have masked the issue, however, once the temperature normalizes and fan speed reduces one can tell the difference. The second time around they said this is how it works as they checked 5 other A6s and they did the same thing. Will be speaking with the service manager to understand my options, basically they said this is how it is engineered.

I want to see if anyone out here has had an issue like that and have any insight on to where might be the issue or am I just blowing smoke.

Thanks!
Old 08-06-2015, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

My understanding is that there is a feature that adjusts how much each side blows depending on the suns position - I felt it first hand too, was kinda cool tbh (no pun intended).
Old 08-06-2015, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

I assume you have the little vertical coin edge dials on both side opened or closed to the same degree. If not that would be a first step.
Old 08-07-2015, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by McFuzz
My understanding is that there is a feature that adjusts how much each side blows depending on the suns position - I felt it first hand too, was kinda cool tbh (no pun intended).
That's seems like a cool feature, however, if that's the case then I would expect the speed to vary based on sun position which I don't see it happening.
Old 08-07-2015, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by irenesbob
I assume you have the little vertical coin edge dials on both side opened or closed to the same degree. If not that would be a first step.
Yup, that was the thing I messed with and ruled out already.
Old 08-07-2015, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by dmaniac
Yup, that was the thing I messed with and ruled out already.
This is one of those things where I definitely prefer manual controls. When I get a cheap rental at an airport it is a pleasure to just take half a minute before driving off and set all the vents, etc. to have AC the way I like it. Usually the cheap rental will send as much of an arctic blast at me as I want, unlike the "luxurious" Audi back home.
Old 08-09-2015, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

This is what I have experience from two A6 and a Q5. Coming from a couple of Lexus it was a bit disappointing until I had my first A6 windows tinted. That seems to help resolve heat temp problems. The ventilated seats were another issue compared to the cooling function from Lexus. I realize more these days just how much the first 10 minutes of my 2016 A6 air condition sucks after driving my wife's Mercedes. Not sure what Mercedes does, but as soon as you get in and turn the engine on and press the max cool button, the air coming out of the car is ice cold within seconds. Why can't Audi do this?
Old 08-10-2015, 02:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 180 Likes on 160 Posts

A question often raised here in the UK is why the passenger side (LH) of the windscreen often defrosts/demists before the right hand side. The answer I have seen given on more than one occasion is that because of the direction that the fan rotates the airflow is stronger on the LH side of the car than it is on the right. Not sure if that is the issue here, but it may be that Audi is trying to balance out that effect to ensure the car achieves a balanced temperature
Old 08-10-2015, 04:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Interesting finds on my 4 zone system:
The Auto button changes the direction of blow according to temperature setting.
The fan speed is on auto ALL of the time because the fan speed changes even if Auto is not selected.
The temperature setting is not absolute. 72 is comfortable at night time but 77 seems to be about the same during the day so I assume that it is either sensing time of day or sunlight hitting the sensor.
I cannot tell the difference between the two center vents velocity because I have them both pointing at me all of the time.
The ventilated seats seem to be OK on level 2 but they are noisy and too noisy on level 3. They do not work as well as most other cars.

I too would prefer the option of full manual control because the software associated with this system is not to my preference, others may like it however and just leave it on Auto. My problem with Auto is that is blows too hard and I prefer the lower velocity with a lower temperature, not the full blow with the higher temperature.

The non 4 zone system may be better but their views of the base system would be welcome.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 180 Likes on 160 Posts

On my (UK facelift) car with 4-Zone, if you press the fan button you can then adjust the fan speed for left and right using the temperature ***** to take it off Auto and I think if you go into AC options in MMI then you can do the same for the rear. My previous car had the 2 zone system and the only real difference for the purposes of this discussion was a single fan speed control rather than a left and right as with the 4-zone system

Quick Reply: Driver side vent blows less air compared to passenger side