Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Driving and Stopping in Snow

Old 10-04-2015, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Well, my data shows manually downshifting helps me control the car in any situation and no tranny issues in 13 years of Audi tips confirms it for me.
With that experience, I'd continue on as well!
Old 10-04-2015, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

The "I'd rather wear out my brakes than my transmision" argument keeps popping up and frankly, I've not seen any data to support it. In fact, one could make the opposite argument that using the transmission to slow the car saves wear on the brakes.
Many of these pearls of wisdom are handed down from the olden days of manual transmissions and drum brakes. I feel that if a transmission can handle 400 lb/ft of engine torque, it can handle downshifts
Old 10-04-2015, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tenspeed
Many of these pearls of wisdom are handed down from the olden days of manual transmissions and drum brakes. I feel that if a transmission can handle 400 lb/ft of engine torque, it can handle downshifts
Yes, I have no basis to dispute that some of these ideas may be anachronisms. But, and not to prolong the debate, I can't help but think about the reality of MTF (mean time to failure) testing for components and the desire not to accelerate reaching that time. I tend to close, not slam, doors, gently rotate, not twirl, *****, etc. I like more gradual vs. sudden changes of state for items around me when possible over sustained time...directly proportional to their value and hassle to replace! Even though I love my other manual trans car, including double-clutch downshifting and some healthy throttle angle, I likely drive it less aggressively than most other owners of the same model.

So, while these trans may be perfectly capable as both of you suggest, I think about the additional inputs to the driveline, the motor/trans mounts, etc., as one more but unneeded load when the brakes could handle it just fine.

Probably sounds a bit neurotic, but I'm aware of it....and much of my stuff lasts a long time in great shape!
Old 10-04-2015, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by tenspeed
Exactly. Otherwise, we should drive like little old ladies on the way to the tea social for fear of breaking something or cover our sofas and chairs in plastic so they don't wear out. My motto is use it or lose it. Make full use of it as it was intended or, in this case, why have a high performance luxury car at all?
Old 10-04-2015, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Exactly. Otherwise, we should drive like little old ladies on the way to the tea social for fear of breaking something or cover our sofas and chairs in plastic so they don't wear out. My motto is use it or lose it. Make full use of it as it was intended or, in this case, why have a high performance luxury car at all?
I'm not sure why you would take my sincere comments to the mocking extreme, but I will remain cordial. Have a good night!
Old 10-04-2015, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I was responding to tenspeed, not you. 'Nite.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

I typically use Tiptronic downshifts from time to time to assist in slowing down on slick roads. Of course, on the way to social teas I use the Loud Pedal mostly – can’t wait to start the gossip lol!
My question in this discussion relates to the use of transmission slowing (on icy roads especially) not taking advantage of the anti-lock functionality that one would gain in using foot brakes. Is this something to consider?
Two things: 1) At least a few years back, most ABS systems did not function under something like 5 mph – so maybe in the last few yards of stopping it doesn’t matter; 2) I sometimes downshift and brake at the same time. Is this a way to get the best from both engine braking (via tranny downshift) and the anti-skid properties of ABS?
FWIW – I love Earl Grey, dear!
Old 10-05-2015, 12:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by irenesbob
I typically use Tiptronic downshifts from time to time to assist in slowing down on slick roads. Of course, on the way to social teas I use the Loud Pedal mostly – can’t wait to start the gossip lol!
My question in this discussion relates to the use of transmission slowing (on icy roads especially) not taking advantage of the anti-lock functionality that one would gain in using foot brakes. Is this something to consider?
Two things: 1) At least a few years back, most ABS systems did not function under something like 5 mph – so maybe in the last few yards of stopping it doesn’t matter; 2) I sometimes downshift and brake at the same time. Is this a way to get the best from both engine braking (via tranny downshift) and the anti-skid properties of ABS?
FWIW – I love Earl Grey, dear!
I believe the traction control system would intervene when using the transmission, even if no brakes applied. It won't trigger ABS but it still could be more effective than braking to slow down a bit in certain conditions. You could use both but you're goal is to minimize any slippage so you want to give yourself enough room for a gradual reduction of speed, with whatever method.
Old 10-05-2015, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by 08A6
I believe the traction control system would intervene when using the transmission, even if no brakes applied. It won't trigger ABS but it still could be more effective than braking to slow down a bit in certain conditions. You could use both but you're goal is to minimize any slippage so you want to give yourself enough room for a gradual reduction of speed, with whatever method.
Yes, the ASR would kick in at any time if the car starts to slew - you can see the dash light flickering as it's working.

Giving plenty of distance in bad weather is always a good idea. I usually use both downshift and brakes in slippery roads as gradually as possible. Any sudden action of any kind on ice or snow covered surfaces can cause loss of control. I call it driving and stopping as if on eggs.

The key is to leave plenty of room and try to anticipate from farther away what other drivers may do, even more so than normally. It's sort of like driving an oil tanker - it takes longer to stop and steer the ship.