Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

DRLs On or Off? That is the questions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 04:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DRLs On or Off? That is the questions.

So I get a lot of questions on why I leave my DRLs off. Not just on my Audi but also on my Benz, my old Jetta and even my dads Rolls when I take that out... Here are my reasons why:
1. The car looks better with them off…just my opinion.
2. Less flash, less attention from both other drivers and cops…
3. I do not see the point of DRLs in the sunlight.

So here is my question:
Do you keep you DRLs on or off? Why?

Last edited by Aatish11; 03-25-2014 at 06:10 PM.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Aatish11
So I get a lot of questions on why I leave my DRLs off. Not just on my Audi but also on my Benz, my old Jetta and even my dads Rolls when I take that out... Here are my reasons why:
1. The car looks better with them off…just my opinion.
2. Less flash, less attention from both other drivers and cops…
3. I do not see the point of DRLs in the sunlight.

So here is my question:
Do you keep you DRLs on or off? Why?
On.
1. The car looks better with them on...just my opinion.
2. More attention paid by other drivers (safety). I don't think the cops pay attention to DRLs anymore.
3. See #2
Old 03-25-2014, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
On.
1. The car looks better with them on...just my opinion.
2. More attention paid by other drivers (safety). I don't think the cops pay attention to DRLs anymore.
3. See #2
+1 on all accounts.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Have you ever, in broad daylight, pulled out to pass someone on a rural highway and been surprised by an oncoming car? If that oncoming car had DRLs, you would have seen them much more easily. Making yourself visible prevents someone else from making the same error.

As for the cop factor, you shouldn't be speeding if you're in front and there's an oncoming vehicle. Instant-on will toast you every time.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
Have you ever, in broad daylight, pulled out to pass someone on a rural highway and been surprised by an oncoming car? If that oncoming car had DRLs, you would have seen them much more easily. Making yourself visible prevents someone else from making the same error.

As for the cop factor, you shouldn't be speeding if you're in front and there's an oncoming vehicle. Instant-on will toast you every time.
I respect your answer. While I have not driven on single lanes roads much, I can see the benefit of DRLs...just that I'm usually driving in a urban/suburban climate. As for the cop factor, I've been stopped while I was the "Chaser". It might just be the cops in my area ( or just my luck) but I haven't had much drama after I started keeping them off.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

In Canada DRLs are required.

In some states in the USA they are required when it rains.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
In Canada DRLs are required.

In some states in the USA they are required when it rains.
I am not sure that some states require DRL's when it rains. I think that you will find that they require the headlights to be on when it rains and therefore the rear lights will be on too. California requires lights to be on when it's raining but expertise in driving here is so minimal that half the people don't turn them on or are too ignorant to know the law. Some cars turn the lights on automatically if the wipers have been on for more than about 10 - 20 seconds.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by DB22
Some cars turn the lights on automatically if the wipers have been on for more than about 10 - 20 seconds.
As does most if not all Audis these days. My former '09 A4 and my A6 have this feature for safety. I believe it works with the rain sensor system.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

I think the DRLs are a signature mark of an Audi. Not only do I like the look of having them on all the time but I have made the VCDS change to make them a bit brighter and more pronounced.

IMHO no other car has elegance, sophistication, and luxury all wrapped up in headlight/DRL looks like Audi has.

Not all cars look good with the DRLs on.
BMW's look nice and they have their own look.
Lexus and Mercedes looked like a tacked on afterthought (imo)
Most of the other brands either do not have led DRLs or they look so bad, they aren't worth mentioning.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
As does most if not all Audis these days. My former '09 A4 and my A6 have this feature for safety. I believe it works with the rain sensor system.
Thanks for the info, it's a great feature and negates bad drivers that don't use lights in the rain. I didn't know this because I have only driven in "mist" twice since I bought the car last December and both times at night so the lights were already on. So Cal has only had rain once this year and I went skiing so I missed it!

Quick Reply: DRLs On or Off? That is the questions.