Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

DRLs On or Off? That is the questions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
In Canada DRLs are required.
Speaking as a Canadian, I fully support our DRL law. I am, however, frustrated by the half-baked nature of the regulation. Only the front of the car is required to be illuminated, which is fine on the face of it. The problem occurs because some manufacturers don't think things through and they fully illuminate the dash lights at all times. Consequently, brain-dead idiots, seeing a splash of light in front of the car and the lit-up dash, assume their lights are on and merrily drive at night, in the rain, through a snow storm, with no tail lights.

Manufacturers (I'm looking at you, Acura, amongst others) could easily solve it by only lighting up the dash once the headlight switch is turned, thereby creating a built-in reminder for said idiots. Alternatively, they could (like Volvo), light up the tail lights at the same time as the DRLs. The ultimate solution, as implemented by Audi, is to slowly turn down the dash illumination as it gets darker, until the lights are then turned on manually. This is a more expensive solution, as it requires a light sensor and is usually paired with automatic headlights.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:19 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
Speaking as a Canadian, I fully support our DRL law. I am, however, frustrated by the half-baked nature of the regulation. Only the front of the car is required to be illuminated, which is fine on the face of it. The problem occurs because some manufacturers don't think things through and they fully illuminate the dash lights at all times. Consequently, brain-dead idiots, seeing a splash of light in front of the car and the lit-up dash, assume their lights are on and merrily drive at night, in the rain, through a snow storm, with no tail lights.

Manufacturers (I'm looking at you, Acura, amongst others) could easily solve it by only lighting up the dash once the headlight switch is turned, thereby creating a built-in reminder for said idiots. Alternatively, they could (like Volvo), light up the tail lights at the same time as the DRLs. The ultimate solution, as implemented by Audi, is to slowly turn down the dash illumination as it gets darker, until the lights are then turned on manually. This is a more expensive solution, as it requires a light sensor and is usually paired with automatic headlights.
Hondas are like that too. You see Honda drivers driving around without their lights on all the time, even in the US. Honda/Acura seems to be averse to automatic headlights.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike_L
Hondas are like that too. You see Honda drivers driving around without their lights on all the time, even in the US. Honda/Acura seems to be averse to automatic headlights.
FYI - I have owned 3 Honda/Acuras and they all have/had auto headlights.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DB22
FYI - I have owned 3 Honda/Acuras and they all have/had auto headlights.
Can they be turned off? Maybe thats the problem, the owners don't keep them on Auto and turn them off instead? Whatever the reason, there sure are a lot of them running around at night with no lights on.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
On.
1. The car looks better with them on...just my opinion.
2. More attention paid by other drivers (safety). I don't think the cops pay attention to DRLs anymore.
3. See #2
Ditto that. They have such a distinctive look that you can spot an Audi from further away than just about any other brand.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 93 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by kc-raydoc
Ditto that. They have such a distinctive look that you can spot an Audi from further away than just about any other brand.
At least until some other brand copies them.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just find it annoying when people have their full headlights on in the sun.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
At least until some other brand copies them.
+1
Old 03-26-2014, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Aatish11
I just find it annoying when people have their full headlights on in the sun.
Why? Do they ruin your view of the sun? Seriously, if the lights are designed to be essentially glare-free in the dark of night, how can they possibly cause you an issue in the bright light of day?
Old 03-26-2014, 02:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
Why? Do they ruin your view of the sun? Seriously, if the lights are designed to be essentially glare-free in the dark of night, how can they possibly cause you an issue in the bright light of day?
Well no…but they don't help either…I was not trying to be hostile towards driver who keep their lights on during the day, I just find it somewhat annoying and unnecessary. But it's their car so let them do as they please.

Quick Reply: DRLs On or Off? That is the questions.