Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

DWS06 Review

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Yep, P-Zeros are very loud can't wait to replace them once they wear out. Luckily the killer stereo system easily takes care of the problem for the time being!!!
Old 07-21-2016, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought the 2016 A6 and immediately swapped out the Eagle tires that came with it, with DWS06. At first, I do feel a little noise and it was not as smooth. But after they were broken in, around 1500 miles, they are very smooth and quiet, and handling is great. Well worth the $$$ IMO.
Old 07-30-2016, 08:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just got my car back with DWS 06 and they are much better than the P Zeros. Quieter, smoother and handles just as well. Used my goodwill package at the dealer to pay for them and was only $320 out of pocket after the alignment and install.
Old 07-31-2016, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

When I was test driving the cars I took a used 2013 with 12K miles and P zero tires for an extended test drive. The tires were horrible. My wife asked if there was sometime wrong with the car and said it was like we were driving on sand paper.

I had owned P zeros before (which I got rid of early) and I already knew what was going on. I ordered my car with the all season (which I needed) Conti ProContacts. The Contis rode well, and were reasonably quiet, but their handling performance left much to be desired.

I kept the tires for 40K miles (wanted to get value out of them) and then changed them out for DWS06s, which amazingly were much cheaper the the ProContacs (why?!?). Anyway the 06s are much much better. They are as quiet and ride as well (or better) than the ProContacts, but have much better performance. I have about 10k miles on them.
Old 08-02-2016, 08:59 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I have the ContiProContacts as well. I don't mind the road noise but they don't track straight very well. They wander and it seems like like I'm always providing input to keep the car straight. My next set of tires will be the DWS06s and I can't wait.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been using DWS since 2010 starting with BMW 330i which was kind of brand new design at that time. I think it was introduced in 2009.
What sold me was great snow traction and very good price with great all around performance.
Anybody driving rear wheel drive cars in snow will appreciate the traction provided by DWS.
I used to insist on Michelin tires but after I discovered Continental tires I felt like I was cheated on Michelin on the price relative to the marginal performance over Continental tires. Later on I read an article about French factory work habit (unrelated to Michelin plant but tire factory in France) and understood why they were expansive than all other tires. U.S. CEO Blasts French Work Culture - WSJ

Ever since, every tires I am buying are Continental DWS (06) for all passenger cars and Crosscontact LX20 for SUV. They give not the best but great balanced performance at great value and advertised tread life which are one of the best on every tire categories.
And I can not wait to wear out the tires came with car and install new DWS. Matter of fact, I have 2 sets of wheels and tires for 13 A4 Prestige and 01 Range Rover HSE. One set for winter and the other for summer time. You know which tires will be in service in winter season. My current 13 A6 came with Yokohama ADVAN SPORT A/S which was installed during CPO. It is one of cheaper tire but not the worst performer (ranked 10th for performance and price) in Tire Rack's Ultra High Performance All Season category.
I am contemplating setting up anther set of wheels and DWS 06 for winter season. Problem is I am running out of garage space. I bought two of this overhead storage rack.
Family think I am going in tire business.

SafeRacks 4 ft. x 8 ft. Overhead Garage Storage Rack and Accessories kit
Old 08-02-2016, 10:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Here's a another earlier review I wrote on the DWS 06 purchased last summer right after they were introduced. I'm still very pleased with them.

I had a set of 255/40-19 purchased from Tire Rack (just under $900 for the set) and were mounted and balanced last week by my Audi dealer. I've had an opportunity to break them in and put them through their paces after about 300 miles.

My observations and some comparisons thus far (the tires mentioned I have owned in the last few years and are used here as data points):

Comfort:

More comfortable than my Bridgestone RE970AS. A bit less so than the original DWS all seasons on my former B8 A4. Definitely more comfortable than my OEM Pirelli P-Zero summers. Still can feel sharp road cracks and broken road but less harsh than the RE970AS but very smooth riding overall. No vibrations whatsoever.
A-

Noise:

The DWS 06 is very quiet and more so than the other tires mentioned, especially than the Pirellis and even the RE970AS. About the same as the DWS.This may change with wear but so far, so good.
A+
(Update: 15K miles and still very quiet).

Handling:

Ths for me is the biggest surprise of this tire considering its older DWS roots. Turn in is very crisp with none of the "mushiness" of the old DWS. It parallels the RE970AS when they were new and almost as responsive as the P-Zero summer tires.
A-

Wet Performance:

Had a chance to drive in the rain and, as expected, like the DWS were excellent - much more confidence inspiring than the other tires. No slip or slide and felt planted in the corners. Minimal hydroplaning at speed, they were planted on the wet. Close to the DWS and Bridgestones but best of the four models.
A+

Snow Performance:

Still at least 3 months away but Conti claims the DWS 06 has improved snow performance over the DWS which was no slouch in light snow (they were rated best overall in the UHP A/S category for several years). In snow up to 4" I anticipate they will be the best in the category.
Anticipate A+
(Update: they perform very well in light snow for an A/S tire. Would still recommend a winter tire if you often travel in the deep stuff)

Tread Life:

Obviously this will be determined for some time but again, Conti claims the DWS 06 has improved tread life over the original model. I turned the A4 in with 38K miles on the DWS and thet still had usable tread remaining.The RE970AS had 35K miles and were done and were worn unevenly at the end. I sold the OEM P-Zeros not long after acquiring the A6 so can't speak to tread life but reports indicate it's not great.
Anticipate A+
Old 08-03-2016, 12:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by audi bug
I have been using DWS since 2010 starting with BMW 330i which was kind of brand new design at that time. I think it was introduced in 2009.
What sold me was great snow traction and very good price with great all around performance.
Anybody driving rear wheel drive cars in snow will appreciate the traction provided by DWS.
I used to insist on Michelin tires but after I discovered Continental tires I felt like I was cheated on Michelin on the price relative to the marginal performance over Continental tires. Later on I read an article about French factory work habit (unrelated to Michelin plant but tire factory in France) and understood why they were expansive than all other tires. U.S. CEO Blasts French Work Culture - WSJ

Ever since, every tires I am buying are Continental DWS (06) for all passenger cars and Crosscontact LX20 for SUV. They give not the best but great balanced performance at great value and advertised tread life which are one of the best on every tire categories.
And I can not wait to wear out the tires came with car and install new DWS. Matter of fact, I have 2 sets of wheels and tires for 13 A4 Prestige and 01 Range Rover HSE. One set for winter and the other for summer time. You know which tires will be in service in winter season. My current 13 A6 came with Yokohama ADVAN SPORT A/S which was installed during CPO. It is one of cheaper tire but not the worst performer (ranked 10th for performance and price) in Tire Rack's Ultra High Performance All Season category.
I am contemplating setting up anther set of wheels and DWS 06 for winter season. Problem is I am running out of garage space. I bought two of this overhead storage rack.
Family think I am going in tire business.

SafeRacks 4 ft. x 8 ft. Overhead Garage Storage Rack and Accessories kit
I forgot to mention a couple of things.

As much I praise for DWS and Continental tires in general, I can not understand engineers in Continental and Audi who designed and authorized the factory installed ContiProContact. It has horrible rating but it is 2nd most expensive tire right below Michelin. I bet many original owners will be fed up with Continental tires and not going to replace them with another continental tires (lost customers).

There is a new tire from BFGoodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S which is matching the performance of DWS06 at lower price. Unfortunately it doesn't have 20 inch size for A6 although they have 18 and 19 inch tires to fit A6. I may consider this one in the future if they are making 20 inch size to fit A6.

Consumer Survey Results By Category

Last edited by audi bug; 08-03-2016 at 12:46 AM.
Old 08-03-2016, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by audi bug
As much I praise for DWS and Continental tires in general, I can not understand engineers in Continental and Audi who designed and authorized the factory installed ContiProContact. It has horrible rating but it is 2nd most expensive tire right below Michelin. I bet many original owners will be fed up with Continental tires and not going to replace them with another continental tires (lost customers).
OE tires are designed with a different priority. The tire supplier conforms to the specs created by the OE. The top two priorities are 1) cost and 2) rolling resistance. Rolling resistance is another way of controlling cost, as the lower the rolling resistance, the better the fuel economy for calculating CAFE and avoiding penalties. (Similar, most likely, to why our automatic trans upshifts so frequently and early). Once past those two criteria, which can compromise a tire's overall performance and noisiness, the remaining attributes are optimized as best they can without violating 1 and 2 above.

Continental's price position for ProContacts may in part rest upon those who feel the need to match the originals, or who need only one at a time due to damage. The price reflects what the market will bear....certainly not production costs.

When a tire manufacturer produces an "aftermarket" tire, they are free to create the best product their technology and business case allows, therefore, the DWS06. Even a similarly branded ContiProContact bought in the aftermarket will have superior characteristics to the ones found on a new vehicle.

Lastly, for vehicles which cost what ours do, I don't understand the comments about waiting for the OE tires to wear out. Why go through that? We removed our OE tires very early on and installed the DWS06 to enjoy the benefits now. It's not as if we're financing Corollas here!

Last edited by Sportstick; 08-03-2016 at 06:01 AM.
Old 08-03-2016, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Sportstick
Lastly, for vehicles which cost what ours do, I don't understand the comments about waiting for the OE tires to wear out. Why go through that? We removed our OE tires very early on and installed the DWS06 to enjoy the benefits now. It's not as if we financing Corollas here!
I hear you. In 2012 when my A6 was delivered, I had already ordered Bridgestone RE970AS (rated #1 for UHP A/S at the time - the DWS 06 was not yet available). I drove home on the P-Zeros, could barely hear my radio from the tire noise and the next day when the Bridgestones arrived, I drove back to the dealer for a swap and balance at no charge as previously arranged. With my past experience with Pirellis, I had no desire to to drive more than 60 miles on them. Sold the P-Zeros for $500 on Craigslist to a Corvette owner two days later and was happy to get it.

Quick Reply: DWS06 Review