Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Early review of Conti DWS 06 tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Inyoury
I see that the Conti DWS06 are available on tirerack.com now. Has anyone with 20" tried them yet? Also the people with 19", how do they feel on the road after putting some miles on them?
Thanks
We put the 255/45-20 DWS 06 on our '16 Q5 and love them. Fantastic handling in the rain. Agree with everything Snagit said above.
Old 09-24-2015, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Just returned from an 800 mile trip up the coast of Maine. Encountered one day of very heavy rain and I couldn't detect any hydroplaning - very planted. So far, my initial observations are still holding up.
Old 09-25-2015, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How are these found on Tire Rack, are all DWS now the 06 model, or is it specifically labelled 'DWS 06'?
Old 09-25-2015, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Nyuni
How are these found on Tire Rack, are all DWS now the 06 model, or is it specifically labelled 'DWS 06'?
"EXTREMECONTACT DWS 06"

There are also still original DWS models available.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....Contact+DWS+06
Old 09-25-2015, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Given the good reviews of the DWS 06, does anyone know why they cost almost $100 less each than the 19" OEM Conti's? I know price isn't a great indication of quality, but within the same brand this difference is unusual.
Old 09-25-2015, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I doubt that reviews correlate to pricing. IIRC, the original DWS were also less expensive than the Conti summer counterpart although the DWS 06 is quite a bit more expensive than the old DWS. Pricing usually is directly related to materials cost, anticipated scale of production and manf. processes with some marketing cost tossed in.
Old 09-26-2015, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wonderful! Thanks guys for the great review. I am looking forward to ordering a set within a month. Not sure what I'll do with the P-Zeros...
Old 09-26-2015, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Inyoury
Wonderful! Thanks guys for the great review. I am looking forward to ordering a set within a month. Not sure what I'll do with the P-Zeros...
They make for a great bonfire - long burning.
Old 02-04-2016, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

snagitseven, I am expecting delivery of my special order S5 in early March and I will be swapping out the original summer tires for Continental DWS06's. I have read your comprehensive review on them as well as others including TireRack and they all point towards a positive ownership experience. I currently drive a GTI outfitted with factory ProContact tires and I enjoy them immensely in terms of its capabilities in dry, wet, and light snow conditions. I do not track or race my GTI just for daily driving and long out of town trips. They're really quiet too. So, I look forward to acquiring DWS06's for my incoming S5.

In the meantime, it would be great if you can post a follow-up to your review of the DWS06 especially now that you've probably driven it in snow conditions and have logged more miles on them.

Cheers!
Old 02-04-2016, 08:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

After 6 months and about 10K miles of ownership, my original review essentially still stands. I would only add that I've had a chance to drive in light snow and while not a dedicated winter tire, I was pleased with the grip. Also, I've driven in hard rain storms and the tires handle standing water well with little hydroplaning.

Also, the noise levels remain low and while ride comfort has reduced a bit as the tread wears down from new (as most tires do), they are still less jarring on the rough roads with my 19" sport suspension than other UHP A/S and summer tires I've owned.

Finally, they still track true with virtually no road crown drift. Unless something else better comes along, when these are worn out, I wouldn't hesitate purchasing them again.

Quick Reply: Early review of Conti DWS 06 tires