Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Easy way to shine A6?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Maverick, we've discussed this in the past but as you are skeptical that Opti-Coat will last as long as advertised without needing "rejuvenating", I'm equally skeptical that the shine won't prove to last as long as the application (which so far on mine has for over a year). Also, it's not just another OEM clearcoat but is a ceramic shell and much more durable. I guess in another year or two we can compare how both of these two very good products have held up and if Optimum is on track to meet its longevity claims.

From Optimum (italics are mine):

Opti-Coat is a hard wearing, aftermarket, ceramic clear coat for superior resistance to scratching (9H) and chemical etching from environmental impacts. It provides permanent protection for all factory paints, and can also be applied to exterior glass, metal and hard plastic surfaces.

Opti-Coat is not a wax or sealant like other products on the market. It is a ceramic clear coating very similar to factory type clear coats. A layer of Opti-Coat measures approx. 2 microns in thickness, or about 100 times thicker than your typical wax or sealant. Unlike paint protection sealants such as PTFE, Nano Sealants, GlassPlexin that degrade over time and are easily removed through washing with water or chemicals, Opti-Coat does not degrade and cannot be removed by chemicals such as heavy duty truck wash or even caustic degreasers. It is totally resistant to these chemicals and produces a permanent film that is chemically bonded with the factory paint layers. Opti-Coat is effectively the vehicles new outer clear coat. It is far more resistant to chemical etching than factory clear coats and far more resistant than competing paint protection sealants. The 2 micron layer also provides a thick buffer between any damage and the factory paintwork.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by in2dwww
Overlap on the A-pillar and other areas with the Quick Detailer spray from Optimum will be fine. A carnauba/yellow/white wax will be a bad idea.

I wouldn't go with a Turtle wax or anything of the sort without doing a full decontamination, clay, polish, and wax. The main reason being that waxing without proper decontamination because 1) it's a waste of time; and 2) all you'll do is seal the fallout under a fresh coat of wax.

The ONR will work wonders and the quick detailer will last between washes.
Pro Kits 60 minute Optimum Wash & Wax Kit came today!! I washed towels first today and looking forward to weekend. :-)
The Kit comes with Optimum Car Wax. Are you saying don't do even spray wax but just do detailer?
I also got http://www.detailedimage.com/Free/ free cray bar kit for free. I thought I need them sooner or later. :-)

Thanks.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:41 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinsong
Pro Kits 60 minute Optimum Wash & Wax Kit came today!! I washed towels first today and looking forward to weekend. :-)
The Kit comes with Optimum Car Wax. Are you saying don't do even spray wax but just do detailer?
I also got http://www.detailedimage.com/Free/ free cray bar kit for free. I thought I need them sooner or later. :-)

Thanks.
That's great! Hold off on using the spray wax. Just use the quick detailer for the first few washes. The wax is a 2-step process and takes more time. The quick detailer is much simpler to use. The wax might be handy when you approach winter.

The Optimum stuff you have should last you for at least a year before you need to replenish your stock. Have fun!
Old 04-02-2014, 08:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Maverick, we've discussed this in the past but as you are skeptical that Opti-Coat will last as long as advertised without needing "rejuvenating", I'm equally skeptical that the shine won't prove to last as long as the application (which so far on mine has for over a year). Also, it's not just another OEM clearcoat but is a ceramic shell and much more durable. I guess in another year or two we can compare how both of these two very good products have held up and if Optimum is on track to meet its longevity claims.

Opti-Coat is a hard wearing, aftermarket, ceramic clear coat for superior resistance to scratching (9H) and chemical etching from environmental impacts. It provides permanent protection for all factory paints, and can also be applied to exterior glass, metal and hard plastic surfaces.

Opti-Coat is not a wax or sealant like other products on the market. It is a ceramic clear coating very similar to factory type clear coats. A layer of Opti-Coat measures approx. 2 microns in thickness, or about 100 times thicker than your typical wax or sealant. Unlike paint protection sealants such as PTFE, Nano Sealants, GlassPlexin that degrade over time and are easily removed through washing with water or chemicals, Opti-Coat does not degrade and cannot be removed by chemicals such as heavy duty truck wash or even caustic degreasers. It is totally resistant to these chemicals and produces a permanent film that is chemically bonded with the factory paint layers. Opti-Coat is effectively the vehicles new outer clear coat. It is far more resistant to chemical etching than factory clear coats and far more resistant than competing paint protection sealants. The 2 micron layer also provides a thick buffer between any damage and the factory paintwork.
+1. I bought the Porter Cable polisher too, just waitInc for May!
Old 04-02-2014, 10:07 PM
Banned

It's worth noting that Optimum is a company that is headed by Dr. David Ghodoussi, the former paint polymer chemist for PPG. There are other great products out there, but the Optimum stuff really does do the best job for the least effort/time investment. I do like some of the tried and true Chemical Guys products, too. Citrus Wash and Jetseal 109 are handy.

Once you use something like Opti-Coat, it's worth noting that a wax/sealant/glaze will not bond to the surface. The best bonding agent as far as a wax is the Optimum Quick Detailer, Chemical Guys Hybrid V7, or the Optimum Spray Wax. I have not tried too many other products since I've invested a lot of money and time over the years and I feel I've dialed it in well and I'm happy.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by in2dwww
Once you use something like Opti-Coat, it's worth noting that a wax/sealant/glaze will not bond to the surface.
Per my discussion with Optimum, you can wax the Opti-Coat. It just won't last as long and in any case, is unnecessary unless you want a fingered, slippery feel to the surface. There's no need for a sealant on top of its cured, ceramic shell - it's a paint and clearcoat sealant unto itself.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Snagit - As I said, I am not saying Opti-coat is not a good product, it is. I just am skeptical about the longevity claims.

But more importantly, the shine aspect over time. I am sorry, but there is no way that shine will hold up over time (and you yourself say you are skeptical about this). To those who may think otherwise, ponder this.

As Optimum notes, Opti-coat is It is a ceramic clear coating very similar to factory type clear coats. Now, what happens over time on any cars surface. Dirt, iron particles, etc accumulate and stick to and start to degrade the look / feel / shine of the surface (aka the clear coat). The same thing will happen over time with Opti-Coat. No way around that.

So while the opti-Coat may be there after two, three or four years, it will not look like it did when new. The surface will be contaminated, the shine will be degraded.

Typically the way to restore a car's surface to a showroom finish is to polish the paint / clearcoat. You strip the contaminants, the use a random orbital polisher with various polishing creams to take off a very small sliver of the clear coat. So if in a few years, you want your car to have that showroom finish, and you do this, you are removing the Opti-Coat product. No way around it.

So that is why I am saying there are better alternatives - IF you want that showroom finish and plan to polish your car every one or two years.

Now if you don't care about that, and just want a one time protection added, Opti-Coat will work (although it will be interesting to see what a vehicle with this looks like in 4 or 5 years)
Old 04-19-2014, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

here is the before shot and the after shot. The problem with white car is you can't tell much.
Attached Images   
Old 04-20-2014, 06:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sweet! Even though it's white, I can still notice the difference.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Now I did my first 2 bucket method wash. Now I'm thinking that I can do more :-) what about some waxing? Maybe with some power tool? (My wife thinks I'm going crazy). I got cray kit. Can anyone recommend good wax and polish stuff?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Easy way to shine A6?