Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Electric Steering Update - Confirmed Fix Now Available

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kukster
Took my 2013 S4 in for the steering issue after the firmware done. Tech said a new bulletin was issued to replace defective steering column. After one day of driving it appears my problem has been fixed. Steering feels noticeably better with no alignment or knotty issue or slippage. Done at audi exchange in highland park. I was skeptical but worked.
Interesting. I had my steering "software" update done last spring, it seemed to improve things, but as the cold weather has set in, it seems to me some of that weirdness when driving straight has returned. Be interesting to see if more people get this hardware fix.
Old 12-02-2014, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The tech explained the defective steering column provided too much resistance to the steering wheeling which may have contributed to the electronic steering providing uneven pressure or spotty pressure.
Old 12-04-2014, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Sorry, my problem returned after couple day with the steering column replaced. The pulling issue is gone but the steering still slips at 12 o'clock position intermittently. Hard to have the dealer check something that happens intermittently. Like to hear any other solutions.
Old 12-04-2014, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Unfortunately, even after the previous software update, there still seems to be some amount of off center wandering that may be exacerbated by colder temps. It's the nature of the design and apparently no further fix is coming or even possible. It's the only disappointment I have with the car.

Last edited by snagitseven; 12-04-2014 at 05:43 PM.
Old 12-08-2014, 04:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The fix is useless.It will still do it when it's cold outside.Just have to live with it.Audi cannot or won't do anything.It's fine most the time,but when temp. drops below freezing - there it is again.We have 13 A6-done it last year.
Old 12-14-2014, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have a 2013 A6 with steering that has been poor right from the original delivery back in summer of 2013. This includes the notchiness, varying assist (slip as some call it) and the on-centre wandering that feels like you are driving in a strong cross wind.

Had the 48k8 update done, helped get rid of the notchiness (although it comes back in the cold) and did improve the effort/feel. It did introduce what I would call a "hump" on center and really didn't do much for the wandering.

Been chasing my dealer on this but they seem to not have any suggestions or solutions. I was interested in the VAG-COM fix of turning off DSR as the ultimate fix to the wandering.

I had read that the VAG-COM fix of turning off DSR did not work on C7 A6's as it created a number of errors related to ABS, Traction Control, etc. I wondered how connected these systems were so as an experiment, I have been driving with ESC turned "off". This is the switch on the console just above the heater controls with the skidding car icon on it. According to the manual this only disables the ASR (kill the power if wheel slip and skid occur) so I'm not too concerned about the reduction in safety.

It may be my imagination but I think that the steering is really improved, especially the on-centre wandering is greatly reduced (if not eliminated).

Has anyone else tried this?
Old 12-14-2014, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

I tried this once a year ago before the 48K update and it didn't seem to make a difference with the wandering. I'll try it again to see if I note any change since. I wouldn't recommend turning ESC off on slippery road conditions.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yeah, as the cold has set in, my steering is back to be flaky. The word slip does sum it up well, trying to hold it straight without constantly tweaking the wheel is impossible. Almost like the wheel pushes you off center every few seconds. I have dialed back from dynamic which improves it, but makes the overall steering more sucky.

Pretty crazy that they have no resolution for this.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Kukster
Sorry, my problem returned after couple day with the steering column replaced. The pulling issue is gone but the steering still slips at 12 o'clock position intermittently. Hard to have the dealer check something that happens intermittently. Like to hear any other solutions.
Audi has to be aware of this issue, it would seem to impact most if not all cars of this generation.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Its below freezing here for 4 months of the year, not like its the odd day here and there.

Quick Reply: Electric Steering Update - Confirmed Fix Now Available