Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Emissions Recall Notice - ECM Software

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by JRomulus
If I have followed this thread correctly, the software change "fixes" the emissions problem at the expense of mpg, which several forum members have already documented.

Aside from the legal issues, will future years' models with the 3.0L engine have dramatically reduced City/HWY MPG's on their sticker?
That IS the billion dollar question!
Old 12-29-2016, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Well, they have only three options for the future:

1. redesign the engine so that it meets emissions requirements and maintains mpg
1. leave it as is with the cheat software removed and report lower mpg
3. come up with a new cheat software and hope they don't get caught again.

While I'm guessing it will be numbers 1 or 2, I wouldn't put it past them to try number 3 again.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I brought my A6 in for a MMI update and they came back and told me they just did an ECM recall update to the car. I wish they would have asked me prior to doing it. So far that have not mentioned the tune (I'm still here) but I assume they are going to write over it. Luckily I can just run by the APR dealer and they will reflash it. I really hope my MPG does not suffer.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my '12 at the end of november last year. This is my first 3.0T car and based on research i was expecting a little better overall MPG. My commute is 14 miles 50/50 city highway. I would typically read 33 MPG on my passat TDI at the end of my commute either way with typical traffic. I was expecting the A6 to hit 22-23 MPG driving "normally"...but i consitently would get 19-20 MPG...OK but a little disappointed.

I think it was this thread that caused me to look again at my records and low and behold they did this ECM update the day before I picked up my car - purchased at audi dealer that serviced the car from new so I have all records.

Then in early Jan I pulled the trigger on EPL stage 1. After a little over a month i am now consistently able to get 23-24 MPG on said commute. On a long trip from Roswell GA to Macon GA averaging 70 MPH(was moving pretty good most of the highway miles 80-85) I was just able to hit the 30.0 MPG mark. Pretty happy with that for a large powerful car.

My only missing piece of info is how the car did before the ECM update as they reset the trip computers before I picked it up.

So, anecdotally I can say that the EPL flash improved my MPG for sure.
Old 02-23-2017, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Averaging 70 on long drives, before the ECM update, I would average 29 to 30.
Old 02-23-2017, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well dang. I should be spending more time here then i would have read this thread... did the update to the ecm :/
Old 02-24-2017, 04:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by porksoda
Well dang. I should be spending more time here then i would have read this thread... did the update to the ecm :/
Time for a tune then!!!
Old 02-28-2017, 01:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dc2002
Time for a tune then!!!
Not sure if it will get my mpg back... speed wise i am ample happy.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Unfortunately I had this recall done. I have no question seen a drop of 2 to 3 mpg. I drive about 200 mostly highway miles a day and have been keeping track every tank sense buying the car. Prior to the recall I was seeing 26 mpg for the most part and some time a 27. In the month sense the recall I've mostly seen 24's with an occasional 23.

It does also feels slower in drive, less responsive. When putting it in sport it feels the same as before but in drive it's a different car.

Super bummed I didn't see this prior to the recall. Wouldn't have gotten it done had I.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dkp993-A6
Unfortunately I had this recall done. I have no question seen a drop of 2 to 3 mpg. I drive about 200 mostly highway miles a day and have been keeping track every tank sense buying the car. Prior to the recall I was seeing 26 mpg for the most part and some time a 27. In the month sense the recall I've mostly seen 24's with an occasional 23.

It does also feels slower in drive, less responsive. When putting it in sport it feels the same as before but in drive it's a different car.

Super bummed I didn't see this prior to the recall. Wouldn't have gotten it done had I.
i also noted a decrease on mpg, But what bothers me is a decrease on power also. Its ridiculous! I wonder if a stage1 tune will fixe the problem?

Quick Reply: Emissions Recall Notice - ECM Software