Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Emissions Recall Notice - ECM Software

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by trmills
I recieved mine a couple of days ago. Of course!!! Three weeks after APR stage 2 install.

Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes you're the hydrant.
The place that I got my stage II done in the Denver, Colo area told me that if I needed service from an Audi dealer and they needed to reflash my ECM, that as long as I got written confirmation that the ECM unit was flashed, they would re-install the stage II software at no additional charge to me. Great shop. 'Avalon Motorsports'.

Last edited by engleg; 09-30-2016 at 02:27 PM.
Old 09-30-2016, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by engleg
The place that I got my stage II done in the Denver, Colo area told me that if I needed service from an Audi dealer and they needed to reflash my EMC, that as long as I got written confirmation that the EMC unit was flashed, they would re-install the stage II software at no additional charge to me. Great shop. 'Avalon Motorsports'.
Yes, my shop will flash back to stock before I take it to the dealer for any service and flash it back when done for free. Since this recall will update the ECM software I wonder if it requires a link to the mothership which might trigger a TD1.
Old 09-30-2016, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 882 Likes on 721 Posts

It will probably trigger a TD1. As they say, you got to pay to play. No big deal.
Old 09-30-2016, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KevinGary
It will probably trigger a TD1. As they say, you got to pay to play. No big deal.
I agree. Absolutely no regrets if it does.
Old 09-30-2016, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Just got my notification today…………………

Last edited by DanfZX14; 09-30-2016 at 02:44 PM.
Old 09-30-2016, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Yeah, even if you flash back to stock, these days the operating history data is logged in the ECU and probably in other components. When the car is brought in for service, the computer reads the data and calls home. The last few years Audi has gotten more aggressive in tracking down mods and assigning TD1s.
Old 10-01-2016, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I wonder if this will trigger a TD1 for piggybacks...my guess is prob not if you have it removed before bringing it in and do a ECU reset
Old 10-03-2016, 02:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So if Audi is changing the software on the ECU to accommodate the new threshold setting for the catalytic converter, does that mean the APR's of the world will need to update their software to properly adjust their software to also accommodate the new threshold that Audi is moving too?

So will APR and the other ECU software folks need to also update their software?
Old 10-03-2016, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

I don't believe it will make any functional difference.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Moodys2014a6
So if Audi is changing the software on the ECU to accommodate the new threshold setting for the catalytic converter, does that mean the APR's of the world will need to update their software to properly adjust their software to also accommodate the new threshold that Audi is moving too?

So will APR and the other ECU software folks need to also update their software?
Great question! The custom Audi tunes are proprietary so we don't know what parameters they have changed. As a previous tuner myself... I would think it's pretty strong bet that the Audi tunes have already adjusted the cat overtemp settings.
Assuming that the AFR tables, or fueling and/or timing tables have changed, that would mean different fuel/exhaust ratios passing though cat, and therefore would need to be adjusted.

Aftermarket tunes are supposed to improve the engine's performance by unlocking the restricted (regulated) potential.
But again.. hard to speculate when we don't know what has been changed in our tunes. Each company's tune is a secret recipe. Tuners take different approaches to reach the same goal of higher performance.

One tune may adjust the AFR to leanest setting at the edge of detonation and then back-off timing to reduce knock retard (detonation) to keep consistent lean AFR as much as possible.

A different tune may also adjust AFR to leanest setting at edge of detonation but then progressively add slightly more fuel to quench detonation, progressively changing AFR based on Cylinder Air Mass and RPM levels.

I would be curious if anyone with a custom tune has every received this Catalytic OBD error code. I find it hard to believe it would be an issue on tuned cars. But it all depends on how thorough the tune.

NOBODY PANIC!!... just my opinion based on my individual experience.

Last edited by IknowHuhA6; 10-03-2016 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Forgot smiley face. ; )

Quick Reply: Emissions Recall Notice - ECM Software