Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Excess oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Excess oil consumption

Further report on oil consumption on my 2012 A6 3.0 engine.
I now have 14,000 miles on the car. Really love everything about this car and maybe I spoke to soon about how great it is and put the old whammy on it by saying it has been perfect so far. Well now I am beginning to get concerned. Oil consumption is increasing to rapidly. The first 5,000 miles I had the car I showed no oil consumption up to that first oil change. Than at 12,000 miles on the clock the dreaded oil can flashed on the dash that says drive directly to your dealer for a quart of oil, so that equates to 1 quart of oil in 7,000 miles. not to terrible. Now at only 14,000 miles the 1 quart low warning went on again. That now equates to i quart burned in only 2,000 mile. Not good to say the least and not a good trend-line for sure. I called the dealer and they say that is normal for the 3.0 engine and all the 3.0 super charged engines often burn at this rate and to check the owners manual and on page 225 sure enough it states that "depending on the way the vehicle is driven and the operating conditions, OIL CONSUMPTION CAN BE UP TO ONE HALF QUART PER 600 MILES." I do not do stop and go driving and most of the miles are highway at about 65 miles per hour average with hardly any stopping, ideal conditions. The dealer said it will be a problem that Audi would attend to this ONLY IF THE RATE EXCEEDS 1 QUART IN LESS THAT 800/900 MILES.. If it gets that bad or even if it gets to what they call acceptable,I feel 1 quart in 800 to 900 miles might make it time for me to dump this car. Hard to believe Audi would produce a car where they consider this kind of oil burning acceptable for a $65,000 car. Well I can't accept that and never would have bought the car if I was aware of this. They are almost going back to the days when Studabakers burned 2 quarts of oil with every tank-full of gas. After having BMW's for 25 straight years and never burning a drop of oil till they gad 150,000 miles driven on them I am starting to think I made a mistake in switching to AUDI. If I sound upset it's only because I am. I now have to drive all the way over to the dealer to once again get topped off till I bring it in for the 15,000 mile service. Guess I will have to go around carrying a case of oil in the trunk if this continues or till I get rid of the car. I ordered a dip-stick from the dealer for $43 to better keep my eye on this. Their policy on this is absolutely nuts and for them to get off the hook and not even want to check the car just because they state the above oil consumption says in the manual that this is normal, does not fly with me. I guess the next few thousand miles will tell the end of the story. Would really like to hear if others on the board have this same problem and what they think of this. THIS IS NOT GOOD
Old 02-15-2013, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Well, at least want to add my insight with my 2013 3.0T:

up to 5,000 mile service - no oil burned
currently at about 10k miles - no oil burned

So unless I'm up for a rude awakening at 12k as you were, I'm fairly happy.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Check out this thread in the A7 section.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2842536

My fiance and I both have MY2012 A6 3.0T, with approximately 12k miles on each vehicle. Both A6s purchased brand new the same day. Her A6s has needed 2 quarts of oil since the 5k maintenance service, while my A6 hasn't needed any. Her commute is through heavy stop and go traffic (~15-25mph), while mine is moderate to light traffic (~35-45mph). There might be a correlation to how we drive our A6s but adding 2 quarts between 10k mile services is a bit excessive. Will have to bring this up to the service dept during the 15k service.

Other than that, we both enjoy driving the A6 daily.

Last edited by dht34; 02-15-2013 at 02:39 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had my first oil change (5k miles) & no oil burned. I just have 6k now so may be too early to show if there will be oil consumption in future. I would insist on getting oil leakage test despite what the manual says. The trend & feedback from this forum members indicate no excessive oil consumption so the trend you described needs further investigation by doing this test. Audi of America can help if dealer refused to do based on manual.

I had this issue on my 535i (2009) during breakin period & it stopped but I feel the frustration you have. Pls let us know the outcome.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by stoulana
I just had my first oil change (5k miles) & no oil burned. I just have 6k now so may be too early to show if there will be oil consumption in future. I would insist on getting oil leakage test despite what the manual says. The trend & feedback from this forum members indicate no excessive oil consumption so the trend you described needs further investigation by doing this test. Audi of America can help if dealer refused to do based on manual.

I had this issue on my 535i (2009) during breakin period & it stopped but I feel the frustration you have. Pls let us know the outcome.
I checked my garage and not even one drop of oil on floor where I park the car. I was hoping it would be that simple a solution but no luck.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by auditron
I checked my garage and not even one drop of oil on floor where I park the car. I was hoping it would be that simple a solution but no luck.
Acually I meant oil consumption test, check thread:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...nsumption+test

So it gets burnt internally but one may not see actual leakage on the floor. I would ask to get oil consumption test done.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by stoulana
Acually I meant oil consumption test, check thread:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...nsumption+test

So it gets burnt internally but one may not see actual leakage on the floor. I would ask to get oil consumption test done.
OK, will do at the 15,000 mile service and see if they comply. Thanks
Old 02-15-2013, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My A8 is at 5500 miles and the electronic gauge is half way down.

My RS6 does not burn a drop at 130,000 miles.

Go figure!!

Perhaps the greater gas mileage on the new audis is because they burn oil. LOL.

Mike
Old 02-15-2013, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default There is an excess oil consumption problem with some of the newer Audi's I was told

I went to a different and larger dealer in Ct. to get the needed quart of oil and to discuss the problem in person rather than on the phone. There I finally got a straight story. Unlike the other dealer that said the oil consumption was normal (BS) they immediately told me that some of the 2012 Audi's are having excess oil consumption problems and recommended that I bring the car in for an oil consumption test. He claims that fixes the problem more than 90% of the time.
During phase one of the test they put in a new breather valve , crankshaft seal and soft wear. They drain the oil and measure it by weight than put it back in the car. They than give you the car back and you are to just drive it normally. If the oil warning comes on again you must drive the car directly back to the dealer without adding oil. Phase 2 of the test entails measuring the weight of the oil again and they report that to Audi Tech. and a decision is made as to whether or not to replace the car's pistons. Needless to say that is one really big job and I pray my car does not need it. This is all of course covered by the car warranty but do you really want this done to your new car, but what choice would you have. Guess I will worry about that when and if that happens. Not happy about drawing a car with this problem but at least I am working with a dealer I feel I can trust. I got the feeling they had quite a few cars that are showing the same problem. Needless to say I am through servicing my car with the dealer that I bought the car from and will switch my service to the dealer that leveled with me. Why can't all dealers do this. With the internet they should know by now that you can't hide things of such a serious nature as this. Audi should be and must be concerned about this and better tell their dealers to admit to their customer's that there is a problem to at least gain their trust. I wonder if they have issued any bulletins to their dealers on the issue.

Last edited by auditron; 02-15-2013 at 04:57 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default 2012 3.0T Oil Consumption Fix

Just back from my dealer in the Baltimore suburbs. They have an excellent service department. Basically got the same story as Auditron reported. I have burned 2 quarts in last 8,000 miles (have 15,000 miles now). There is a new TSB (did not get number). They drain all the oil, remove the supercharger, drain the coolant, install a new breather valve, new crankshaft seal and new ECM softwear. I am not that technical, but the tech mentioned something about blowback from the supercharger causing the excess oil consumption. This TSB apparently reduces the amount of pressure in the crankcase and in the few instances they have done this procedure it has worked and solved the problem.
If it does not correct the problem, then it is a much more serious issue and the pistons have to be replaced. The dealer had to do this on one Q7.
They also told me that the info on the oil consumption test for the 2.0t engines is NOT the same procedure for the 3.0t engine.
The parts are now on order for the TSB and I will report back after it is completed later this week. In the meantime, they topped off the oil for me and sent me on my way.
This is my 3rd A6, and up to this point, has been problem free. A great vehicle.

Quick Reply: Excess oil consumption