Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017
Old 07-13-2016, 10:48 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C6) Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Is this excessive oil consumption or within spec?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 12:10 AM
fcd
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this excessive oil consumption or within spec?

Hello,

I have been reading similar threads to my question, and some have really excessive oil consumption (like 1-2k miles) and I'm curious if mine is an issue or not. I have a 3.0 A6 with 24700+ miles on the odometer. Recently I had the "Add 1 qt oil" warning. My last oil change was approximately 6 months ago (had my 25k mile service done early), and since then, I have logged approximately 4000 miles. My daily commute is usually back roads/city driving with speeds averaging 25-40 mph with occasional highway driving. In terms of driving style, I'm not overly aggressive and try to mix being sporty and conservative, although would favor slightly sporty more.

Is this considered normal oil consumption, or should I ask for an oil consumption test or mention oil consumption TSB I saw in some of the threads? I did ask my service advisor and he asked that my oil consumption was normal and wasn't aware of any TSBs. I'm just worried that this may escalate into a bigger problem or is indicative of one. My car is a CPO so don't know it's previous consumption. Had a 2.0 A6 before, different engine I understand, but my MMI oil indicator level barely moved (had it for close to 20,000 k miles), so not sure if my driving habits would come into play?

Thanks in advance for all your responses. Thanks also for responding to my previous posts.

Last edited by fcd; 10-20-2014 at 12:16 AM.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

With my previous 2010 3.0T, I used to burn about a quart every 3-4k miles, which also started after my 25k service. It got to the point where I'd keep a quart of Mobil 1 in my trunk at all times. I also had a couple oil consumption tests done and they both came back "within spec". IIRC, unless you're burning a quart every 1,200 miles or less, anything above that is considered normal.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 881 Likes on 720 Posts

It is possible that when you got the oil changed that they did not top it off but short changed you half a quart. If so you don't really have an oil consumption problem. At the next oil change make sure it is truly topped off and see what happens.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:48 PM
fcd
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by audi40
With my previous 2010 3.0T, I used to burn about a quart every 3-4k miles, which also started after my 25k service. It got to the point where I'd keep a quart of Mobil 1 in my trunk at all times. I also had a couple oil consumption tests done and they both came back "within spec". IIRC, unless you're burning a quart every 1,200 miles or less, anything above that is considered normal.
Audi40, not sure how many miles you kept your 2010 car, but did the issue ever get better? or were you still burning oil up to 3-4k (past 25k) throughout your ownership of said car.

KevinGary, not sure how accurate the MMI oil level indicator is, but it was showing up as full after my "25k mile maintenance." It is possible though I guess...

Unfortunately I'm not a DIYer but, is this as simple as adding oil to the oil engine bay, or a lot of things have to happen - like oil/filter has to be changed or MMI has to be reset? I'm leaning towards just letting the dealer do it, as it may actually be an actual problem.

Just curious with other 3.0 owners with similar daily drive habits (short distances, occasional highway), have you experienced the same issues?

Thanks again for all the responses!
Old 10-21-2014, 10:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KevinGary
It is possible that when you got the oil changed that they did not top it off but short changed you half a quart. If so you don't really have an oil consumption problem. At the next oil change make sure it is truly topped off and see what happens.
Happened to me. Dealer was very sorry and corrected it.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by fcd
Audi40, not sure how many miles you kept your 2010 car, but did the issue ever get better? or were you still burning oil up to 3-4k (past 25k) throughout your ownership of said car.
I traded it in @ 47k and issue never got better, but dumping in a quart every couple months between services didn't bother me too much. Oil consumption aside, it was a great car...only got rid of it because the lure of the TDI was too much

And since it is "TBT", here's a pic of the old ride...

Last edited by audi40; 10-23-2014 at 04:35 PM.
Old 10-25-2014, 01:27 PM
fcd
AudiWorld Member

Anyway I just added a quart and now level is close to max. I was just afraid that this was an oil consumption issue and a precursor to bigger issues. Never had an oil related warning light before so wasn't also sure if this was just as simple as adding oil, or if it involved resetting the MMI. The oil level indicator did take a few days to reset though.

DasA6 and KevinGAry, hope you were right and this was an issue of them not topping it off on the last oil change. I will be keeping an eye on my oil consumption from here on out.

Thanks again for all your replies.
Old 10-27-2014, 01:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 180 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by fcd
Anyway I just added a quart and now level is close to max. I was just afraid that this was an oil consumption issue and a precursor to bigger issues. Never had an oil related warning light before so wasn't also sure if this was just as simple as adding oil, or if it involved resetting the MMI. The oil level indicator did take a few days to reset though.

DasA6 and KevinGAry, hope you were right and this was an issue of them not topping it off on the last oil change. I will be keeping an eye on my oil consumption from here on out.

Thanks again for all your replies.
Unfortunately it is a bi-product of modern lean burn engine design that they have a tendency to use more oil than most of us have been used to. I think Audi's view is that anything up to 1 litre (essentially a quart) per 1000 miles is within manufacturing tolerances
Old 10-27-2014, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm sorry I do not buy the "this is how it is with Audi Engines" excuse. I have a 2012 3.0T and I have 33K miles on it now. I get it serviced once a year in January. I put about 10000 miles on the car a year and it works for service intervals and such. the Service level states that the oil is supposed to be changed every 10000 miles. Of course you can do it sooner. After Service in January - I checked the oil level and it was topped off at MAX. I check it at least once a month. It has never moved. Finally late this month it is a tick below MAX. The miles went from 24.5K to 32.8 and stayed at MAX. I have never had to add oil to it and this interval will not require it either.

just some information for you guys.

Scott
Old 10-27-2014, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Silver42
I'm sorry I do not buy the "this is how it is with Audi Engines" excuse. I have a 2012 3.0T and I have 33K miles on it now. I get it serviced once a year in January. I put about 10000 miles on the car a year and it works for service intervals and such. the Service level states that the oil is supposed to be changed every 10000 miles. Of course you can do it sooner. After Service in January - I checked the oil level and it was topped off at MAX. I check it at least once a month. It has never moved. Finally late this month it is a tick below MAX. The miles went from 24.5K to 32.8 and stayed at MAX. I have never had to add oil to it and this interval will not require it either.

just some information for you guys.

Scott
+1
My 2014 has 16k on it and was barely down at all for its 15k service. I believe if you're burning oil at the rate of a quart per 1,000 you have a problem. Audi just doesn't want to address it as such and just says it's "within tolerance". So, some 3.0T's burn next to no oil in 10k, while others burn a quart per 1k, and each engine is functioning normally? I don't buy it.

Quick Reply: Is this excessive oil consumption or within spec?