Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Excessive Road Noise? I'm thinking it's the Pirelli's...

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe@joeadams.com
I have now tried the Pirelli PZero, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S and the Yokohama Advan Sport A/S on my new A6 with Sport suspension and 20" wheels. Here are the results:

Pirelli Pzero: Loud low pitched and high pitched whine at all speeds. Noise gets louder as speed increases. LOUD over 60 mph. Noise gets really loud on various interstate pavement, and is unbearable on cement at highway speeds. The ride is jarring. Absolutely amazing handling on curvy roads in dry and wet.

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S: Quietest of the tires I tested. Low pitched road noise, but MUCH quieter than the Pirellis. Not tomb quiet, but comfortably quiet. Harsh ride. Slightly harsher ride than the Pirellis. Handling is great. Maybe as good as the Pirellis. I only put about 100 miles on these tires, and returned them. They felt like the ride was getting slightly softer, but I did not want to risk having to keep them in order to find out.

Yokohama Advan Sport A/S: The first thing that I noticed was that the ride was substantially smoother. Changed the ride of the car from jarring to comfortable. Quiet. Low pitched road noise at about the same volume as the Michelins, but SLIGHTLY higher pitch than the Michelins. The handling MAY be slightly less than the other two tires on curvy mountain roads, but it could be that it does not feel as fast because it is so much quieter, and I am not feeling every little crease in the pavement.

Bottom line: The Yokohama Advan Sport A/S transformed my new 2014 A6 with Sport Suspension and 20" wheels from a car that I was starting to hate to a car that I love. They are relatively quiet (some low pitched road noise), and provide a COMFORTABLE ride with great handling. I heard about them in another forum on Audiworld. They have a 30 day money back guarantee as of this review. I would strongly recommend them to a friend.
Thanks for the write up, def helps me narrow down my choice for replacement tires! On the Michelin did you try the pilot sport A/S plus of the A/S 3? Curious since the # 1 complaint I hear about the A/S 3 is the tread noise.

I have def been eyeing the Advan Sport A/S since they came out, just not a lot of feedback on them. I am in the DFW area, and we spend quite a bit of time around the freezing mark from DEC-FEB so I think I am going with all seasons since I don't track and this is more my daily driver. How is the high speed stability on the interstate with the yokohama compared to the stock P zero? How about steering response?
Old 11-17-2014, 10:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3. I don't think the Plus is available in my tire size. They are quiet compared to the Pirellis.

Steering response on the interstate with the Advans is fine. I really had not even thought about it, but it is exactly what you would expect. The Pzeros felt funny on some interstate. Kind of laggy. I'm told that is called tracking. I do not feel that at all with the Advans.

The longer I ride on the Advans, the more I love them.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

I put a set of the Hankooks VentusS1noble2 on my M635. Made 2 trips from MD to NC for car shows and the tires performed very well even in heavy rain. No hydroplaning and they are quiet. I like them so much I plan to put another set on my Z4. Tirecrazy.com has some unbelievably cheap prices with free shipping and no tax shipped to MD from CA. I considered the Michelin Sport AS3 but they are about $350 more expensive and do not rate any better on TireRack surveys. The Contis and Hankooks tie for first place.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're going with all seasons on the 20's, I had a pretty good experience with the toyo proxies 4 plus all season. Bought 4 tires for under $800 shipped to my house. Pretty quiet and handled well.

I ended up selling the pzeros on craigs list cheap just to get rid of them.

No tire is perfect, but I'll never buy a Pirelli summer tire again if I can help it.

The Michelin SS is the way to go for a summer tire. The Pirelli is torture.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

I just replaced my 20" Yoko Advan Sports with Continental DWS all-seasons, and the road noise improvement is noticeable. Quite happy with the Contis.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Just replaced my P Zeros with the new Yokohama Advan Sport A/S. Decent improvement noise and overall ride, as well as impact harshness. To be expected the steering response has been muted, as well as high speed stability (which is somewhat vague on center feel - will continue to play with the pressure to see if I can mitigate). Never considered the Conti DWS as I don't need the aggressive snow traction that it seems this tire is built around and I do like some responsiveness in a tire.

Not thrilled with them overall, so not sure yet if I will keep them. Pirelli just came out with (NEW) P zero All Season plus that just scored best on the most recent tire rack UHP A/S shootout, whereas the yoko advan sport A/S finished 3rd. Very limited sizes available now on the Pirelli though. I know most discount Pirelli as a brand, but they do make 'some' good tires. Namely the P7 A/S (not available in the 20" size) that is one of the smoothest riding and quietest tires I have ever tested (on an A4 loaner car).

Hands down I think the best tire for this car is the Michelin Pilot Super Sport, though it may be overkill for some with a 25-30k treadlife, its easily the most jack of all trade tire and I loved them on my last S4.

Last edited by MCRN; 11-24-2014 at 08:28 AM.