Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Extreme Winterization - How to Prepare?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

I just checked Google maps and I can see no road to get up there - directions are not available. I'm beginning to think this is a joke.
Old 11-21-2016, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by tenspeed
Best advice is to have your head examined for attempting to take a low slung street car over what they call roads.
HAHAHA !!

If you to not want to rent a car as others have suggested, perhaps a call to AAA branch in northern Alaska, or to an auto repair shop in Barrow, Alaska (which is just as far north as your destination) for recommendations in addition to those already suggested.
Old 11-21-2016, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I just checked Google maps and I can see no road to get up there - directions are not available. I'm beginning to think this is a joke.
My guess is that they have ice roads in the winter leading there, but yes, without ice freezing over all the water around that area it looks like the only way is flying.
Old 11-21-2016, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

-25c is only -13f. Shouldn't be an issue. I haven't driven my current A8 D4 in the cold yet but my previous A8 D3 and A6 C5 handled temps much colder than that in the winter with no issues. Started just fine in the mornings and had no problem maintaining temperature when being driven. Synthetic oil makes a big difference when cold starting. I had a '92 Dodge diesel when I used to live in Fargo, ND. I usually ran Rotella T in it. First winter with -30f temps and it had a hard time starting. Switched to Rotella T6 (synthetic) in the winter time and never had another issue.

I think Audi does a good job with their cooling systems and they perform well in a wide range of temperatures.
Old 11-21-2016, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

-25 if he's lucky. It could be anywhere from -10 to -45. Regardless there is no road for the south to Tuk. Winter Roads

I'd never take a low slung car on an ice road. They are suspectible to heaving.
Old 11-21-2016, 08:42 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 515 Likes on 450 Posts

As others have said.
Make sure battery in the trunk is in tip top shape. Replace it if it is still OE from 2013.
Good 0w-40 or 0w-30 oil.
Change to a 60/40 coolant mix just to be safe.
I'd do a brake fluid flush too just to be safe that there is no moisture in the system at all.
Find extreme low temp washer fluid.
Run some dry gas in the tank too.
Old 11-22-2016, 09:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gk1
As others have said.
Make sure battery in the trunk is in tip top shape. Replace it if it is still OE from 2013.
Good 0w-40 or 0w-30 oil.
Change to a 60/40 coolant mix just to be safe.
I'd do a brake fluid flush too just to be safe that there is no moisture in the system at all.
Find extreme low temp washer fluid.
Run some dry gas in the tank too.
Thank you, this is what I was looking for.

The battery is OE, so replacement is prudent, along with a heater pad to be on the safe side. Just did a brake flush and I always run 0w40 now.

Originally Posted by snagitseven
No, this is not a joke. I know it may seem odd for some of you, but I like to go off the beaten path and do so quite a lot. I'm most concerned about mitigating my risks as much as possible by preparing. I'll have AAA which translates into CAA coverage (although rescue times will be much much longer), low-deductible insurance should any large damage occur, and a year left on the CPO warranty if any issues are run into on the way up from SF.

For those concerned, yes there is a road to Inuvik, although gravel and likely packed with snow. From there, this is the last season of the ice road from Inuvik to Tuk; it is open from January to March.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuktoyaktuk_Winter_Road
Old 11-22-2016, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton

The battery is OE, so replacement is prudent, along with a heater pad to be on the safe side. Just did a brake flush and I always run 0w40 now.

No, this is not a joke. I know it may seem odd for some of you, but I like to go off the beaten path and do so quite a lot. I'm most concerned about mitigating my risks as much as possible by preparing. I'll have AAA which translates into CAA coverage (although rescue times will be much much longer), low-deductible insurance should any large damage occur, and a year left on the CPO warranty if any issues are run into on the way up from SF.

For those concerned, yes there is a road to Inuvik, although gravel and likely packed with snow. From there, this is the last season of the ice road from Inuvik to Tuk; it is open from January to March.
Sounds like quite the adventure. Wish you the best on your endeavor!
Old 11-22-2016, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

I'd also get an extra spare tire for a total of 2.
Sleeping bags, shovel, tow rope, lanterns/flashlights, gas line antifreeze (aka methyl hydrate), extra wiper blades...

Good luck
Old 11-22-2016, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Ok, I'm a believer. Kinda crazy in an A6 (actually would be kinda crazy in anything other than an M1A tank) but quite the challenge that will be good for long time memories.

I would add to be sure you have a good supply of emergency rations, winter gear, shovels and some of those snow mats to place under the wheels. Renting a satellite phone might be a good idea as well, just in case - I doubt cel service will be plentiful. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Extreme Winterization - How to Prepare?