Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Finally upgrade from 2002 A6 2.7T

Old 05-25-2014, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally upgrade from 2002 A6 2.7T

After 10 years I finally sold my 2002 A6 2.7t with 160K miles. This was a sad moment for me as for the first time in 28 years I no longer own a manual transmission. After searching the Audi CPO sites for several months and reviewing threads here on AudiWorld I decided to look for a 2013 versus a 2012 A6 and located a 2013 around 120 miles away.

After having the '13 A6 for a week I am pleasantly surprised in how much the A6 has changed in 10 years. I purchased a:
- 2013 A6 Prestige
- Dakota Gray / Nougat Brown
- Innovation Package
- LED Headlights
- Cold Weather Package

Current plans are
1 - for some winter wheels / tires...not sure if I want to use the current 18" wheels for the winter tires and get set of 19" wheels to replace the current setup for the remainder of the year.
2 - Ordered Truphone SIM for Audi Connect
3 - Vagcom...question mark??

I am considering Vagcom and want to know if I should get it. Based on some of the threads I read it would seem to be something that would be useful for me. I am pretty computer literate and wondered what your thoughts were. I will probably keep this car for quite awhile.
Attached Images     
Old 05-25-2014, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations on a beautiful upgrade to your '02 A6.
I think one of the options on your car is "Adaptive Cruise Control"--You'll really like that.
Old 05-25-2014, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

That is a beautiful car and great color combination - I was torn between that and what I ended up with.

I have travelled the same path - Dec 31 bought a 2-14 A6 Prestige, Daytona Grey, Black Optics, and this is also the first Automatic car I have owned. I was driving a 2002 VW Passat 1.8T Manual, in fact I still have it, trying to find an VW enthusiast who would appreciate a well-cared for low mileage car. My wife keeps nagging me to take it to carmax so we don't leave it parked in the driveway.

At times I feel the A6 is a bit too refined for my driving style and I park it and drive around in my Passat, and quickly realize that the A6 is in a world of its own in terms of comfort and effortless power. I still shift gears once in a while when I come to a stop - from drive to neutral! but I think I am getting used to it.
Old 05-26-2014, 03:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dicktahoe
Congratulations on a beautiful upgrade to your '02 A6.
I think one of the options on your car is "Adaptive Cruise Control"--You'll really like that.
I has taken a little time to get used to the "ACC" with the braking when not expecting it. Need to figure out the spacing a little better and to determine when to change lanes prior to the ACC taking over and slowing me down.

The Active Lane Assist is also another feature that is taking a lot of time to get used to. I can feel in the wheel when the car tried to correct me...and I definitely know that I need to use the direction sooner prior to changing lanes or the car tries to place me back in the lane.
Old 05-26-2014, 03:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by oceanengineer
That is a beautiful car and great color combination - I was torn between that and what I ended up with.

I have travelled the same path - Dec 31 bought a 2-14 A6 Prestige, Daytona Grey, Black Optics, and this is also the first Automatic car I have owned. I was driving a 2002 VW Passat 1.8T Manual, in fact I still have it, trying to find an VW enthusiast who would appreciate a well-cared for low mileage car. My wife keeps nagging me to take it to carmax so we don't leave it parked in the driveway.

At times I feel the A6 is a bit too refined for my driving style and I park it and drive around in my Passat, and quickly realize that the A6 is in a world of its own in terms of comfort and effortless power. I still shift gears once in a while when I come to a stop - from drive to neutral! but I think I am getting used to it.
Thanks...I really knew I wanted the Nougat...definitely didn't want the Beige. Probably the one option I would have wanted was the Sport package for the paddle shifters and the 19" wheels. Overall though this is exactly what I wanted.

After getting this car I drove my wife's 2012 Subaru Outback...I thought that car was really nice compared to my '02 A6 but after driving in my '13 A6 you realize what a step up the Audi's interior is over other cars/

One really pleasant surprise is the gas mileage after the first fill-up...after traveling 460 miles I calculated 25.8 MPG...better than I ever attained in the '02 A6. Wasn't expecting that.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats. I still keep my C5.
Old 05-26-2014, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

"The Active Lane Assist is also another feature that is taking a lot of time to get used to. I can feel in the wheel when the car tried to correct me...and I definitely know that I need to use the direction sooner prior to changing lanes or the car tries to place me back in the lane."

When you have the Lane Assist (ALA) on, it's interesting how often you find you are drifting too close to the lane-edge and it corrects you. This feature is very helpful on long trips--I recently travelled for two days on I-40 from Kingman, AZ to Memphis. When changing lanes, a short bump of the turn-signal lever will give you 3-flashes and let you change lanes without ALA trying to keep you in lane.
Old 05-26-2014, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by TJKs '02 2.7T
I has taken a little time to get used to the "ACC" with the braking when not expecting it. Need to figure out the spacing a little better and to determine when to change lanes prior to the ACC taking over and slowing me down.
You can change the rate of response behavior of the ACC in the MMI. For example, if set to Comfort or Auto, the ACC will react more gradually to a following car's speed/distance changes. Conversely, the Dynamic setting will force the car to speed up or slow down more quickly. The difference in settings will have little effect if the following car comes to a sudden stop.
Old 05-26-2014, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

"You can change the rate of response behavior of the ACC in the MMI."

This is a very good suggestion, and I have mine set on "Comfort" for this reason. Also, the toggle switch on top of the lever lets you select a longer following distance if you want (although I usually find distance-3, the default, to be perfect).
Old 05-27-2014, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just curious but have you read your owners manual? It seem these days that most new car owners rarely read their owners manual. I've tried many times to get my wife to read the owners manual for the Lexus ES350 I gave her soon after I retired. Has that happened nooooo!!!
Anyway, good luck on your A6 and enjoy. A comment on the following "distance" settings for the ACC. The 4 different settings are really following time settings. That means the actual distance will increase as the speed increases for each setting. So it is not a fixed a distance but a fixed time. The manual will tell you what the following time is for each setting.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Finally upgrade from 2002 A6 2.7T