Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Firewall Access for RD Hardwire

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I usually follow the wire harness to the firewall. Either there is a hole with a rubber grommet or a electrical connector.

If it's a grommet, try poking a stiff wire through along side the wire bundle. Tape a piece of light wire or string on the end. Grab the string from the other side with needle nose pliers and pull your wire through. Add a couple of spares for future use.

If it's a connector, use it to measure off of and drill a hole. Check the other side first so you don't drill into something expensive. Use a grommet so the metal doesn't cut into the insulation and seal the opening with RTV silicone.

I'm going to a auto show tomorrow - maybe I can check out the possibilities if the sales people don't call security.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tenspeed
I usually follow the wire harness to the firewall. Either there is a hole with a rubber grommet or a electrical connector.

If it's a grommet, try poking a stiff wire through along side the wire bundle. Tape a piece of light wire or string on the end. Grab the string from the other side with needle nose pliers and pull your wire through. Add a couple of spares for future use.

If it's a connector, use it to measure off of and drill a hole. Check the other side first so you don't drill into something expensive. Use a grommet so the metal doesn't cut into the insulation and seal the opening with RTV silicone.

I'm going to a auto show tomorrow - maybe I can check out the possibilities if the sales people don't call security.
Thanks for the tip.

My question was not how to do route wiring (done it a few times), but rather which was the best path to use on the A6 if there was one.

Upon closer examination under the ECU, I've found that this was indeed the best access point. The grommet I found last week behind the relay tray under the ECU is not empty as I initially thought. The tray's wiring goes through the bottom through a rubber boot and into the firewall. It's not a grommet per se but the rubber boot itself that feeds all the cabling from the ECU into the cockpit.

I will post pictures of the process soon.

Neurobit
Old 03-05-2012, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Neurobit
Not sure why the pics turned out so small.
Seems everyone else's attachments come out bigger
Open a Photobucket account. Upload load the pictures. Copy and paste the IMG code in the reply. Gives you full sized shots.

edit: I tried zooming in on your shots and the text is almost impossible to read.

Last edited by tenspeed; 03-05-2012 at 07:49 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Full size pics

Thanks tenspdeed, pb worked like a charm.

Rear antenna location is temporary until I can find a good spot under/behind the rear bumper (don't want this to become a missile and hitting me in the back of the head in case of a collision)

Neurobit

Last edited by Neurobit; 03-21-2012 at 07:10 AM.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Nice work!!! I'll use that same approach for the blinder jammers. And while I'm running wires, maybe I'll go ahead and install a detector too.

Thanks very much for the pics. A huge help!
Old 03-06-2012, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome, this job doesn't seem too bad. This car is a beast, and I plan to protect it anyway I can, from international and domestic threats.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sgroer
Nice work!!! I'll use that same approach for the blinder jammers. And while I'm running wires, maybe I'll go ahead and install a detector too.

Thanks very much for the pics. A huge help!
Thanks.

Agree with you. Might as well do the RD in you're doing the blinders

Neurobit
Old 03-06-2012, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Rear Antenna

Found a great spot behind the rear bumper near the driver's side muffler for the rear antenna.
I will be able to feed the cable from the inside through a grommet located by the rear relay tray (above the driver's side wheel well compartment).

I will do the install on Saturday and post photos of the procedure.

Neurobit
Old 03-12-2012, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Rear Antenna Update

All,

Here are the pics for the rear antenna installation.

After installing behind the rear bumper, I've realized after testing that this location was too low.
The side-assist sensors came into play and the rear antenna was rendered useless by giving a constant "K" band alert.

After trying different locations, I've found that mounting inside the trunk does indeed work even though the trunk lid is likely diminishing the range. Not sure how much though. I got a hit this morning on my drive to work at a stationary sign that posts your speed. Got a hit from the front antenna and as I passed it from the rear for up to about a 1/4 mile range beyond that, so I think that this location is going to work out just fine.

Used 3M Heavy Duty outdoor double tape (holds up to 5 lbs) to mount. Tape comes out easy without damaging surfaces.

Used 3M tape here also to secure to the vent the GPS module (Photo/Speed camera database)

[

RD Control Panel (no drilling - mounted with 3M tape)

Last edited by Neurobit; 03-21-2012 at 07:12 AM. Reason: Updated Photo Links