Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

First Time Audi Owner - 2012 CPO A6 Prestige

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 09:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Time Audi Owner - 2012 CPO A6 Prestige

Hey guys, figured I'd start a new thread.

Just picked up a 2012 CPO Audi A6 Prestige w/ 20" Sport, Innovation, and Cold Weather Package, LEDs, as well as B&O. It is Ibis White with Black interior, black headliner, and dark brown walnut inlays.

The car has 30k miles and AudiCare till 45k. Got it for $40k + TTL.

A few questions since I am going back to the dealer tomorrow.

1. Rear deck has a rattle. I read rattles unfortunately can happen in some C7's and I'm not sure if this one is B&O related. Sounds like it's coming from under the speaker's grill.

2. They're going to give me the AMI cable cable. Which is the best one for an iPhone 6? I read the one with the yellow grommet, but someone also mentioned the red grommet with a lightning adapter is better. ? Also, what can I do with it that I can't already do via bluetooth audio?

3. Which is the latest MMI update my model can take?

4. The rear was debadged. I want to put on some lightly smoked badges. Does someone sell them already painted (maybe an Optic's set)? Should I just buy OEM and have them painted? Recommended website?

5. Aftermarket grill: Seeing as I have a Night Vision camera is the Optic's grill and RS6 my only option? I liked the honeycomb grill but apparently it takes some rigging to get the camera mounted on the Audi rings.

6. OBD Bluetooth Adapter: Recommendations? Going to use Carista to tweak some options. That shouldn't void warranty if I just add window features to the smart key right?

Appreciate your advise guys. Let me know if there is anything I should be doing right away to enjoy this ride even more (besides just driving it of course) and if there are any reputable websites you recommend I use when purchasing accessories and/or aftermarket parts.

Old 08-10-2015, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats! Love the dark tint on a white car. You should black vinyl wrap the roof to really make the car pop. JMO.
As for the smoked badges, try Ebay. I usually find such products there without much browsing.
I had rattling from the rear too but mine had to do with a plastic piece on the C pillar. My tint guy had taken the piece off and broke one of the clips.
When you take it to the dealership do ask them to perform all open TSB's on the car. Depending on the dealership, some are great at performing it and some will give you resistance and tell you that they will only perform TSBs if there is a valid issue. You just have to be nice but persistent and break them down.
Enjoy your car and how about some interior pics
Old 08-10-2015, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

The cable that Audi normally has been providing with new cars is the older black grommet 30 pin AMI cable. This cable will not pass video or album art - audio only. A newer red grommet AMI cable will pass video but is still the older 30 pin connector and will need a 30 pin to Lightning adapter. Unfortunately, the adapter will not pass video, only audio and album art. The best solution for an iPhone 5 or later is the yellow Lightning AMI cable which will pass video, album art and audio - no adapter needed.
Part # -4F0 051 510-L

Latest MMI version for MY2012-2015 is 014.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks guys. I'll get some better pics tomorrow.

Going to the dealer to try to get that rattle fixed and pickup that wire.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 178 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
The cable that Audi normally has been providing with new cars is the older black grommet 30 pin AMI cable. This cable will not pass video or album art - audio only. A newer red grommet AMI cable will pass video but is still the older 30 pin connector and will need a 30 pin to Lightning adapter. Unfortunately, the adapter will not pass video, only audio and album art. The best solution for an iPhone 5 or later is the yellow Lightning AMI cable which will pass video, album art and audio - no adapter needed.
Part # -4F0 051 510-L

Latest MMI version for MY2012-2015 is 014.
Not sure the yellow cable will pass video. I have just got one on my new A6 and whilst the red cable with my old iPod Touch sees the iPod video folder the Yellow cable on my iPhone 6 does not. It does do album artwork though
Old 08-11-2015, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Well, if true that cable will not pass video, it's surprising that Audi still has not got the Lightning to AMI right. The L cable is the second generation of AMI/Lightning cable in about a year.

Like you I have an old iPhone 3Gs I leave in the car as an audio/video player with the red grommet cable.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the advice everyone.