Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

First time Audi owner - New 2016 Prestige

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 04:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

I actually like the ACC in my 2013. Most of the time, I can replicate what you have described with no issues. The only thing I would have improved is sometimes when the car in front comes to a complete stop, I often feel the ACC unnecessarily allows the car to brake later than I would when the ACC is off. I've played with the MMI ACC setting and the stalk spacing but it still exhibits this from time to time.
Old 07-31-2015, 08:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hulamau
The funny thing is, so far I have not found the start stop so obtrusive as to even remember to turn it off, when I was sure the first thing I would do after start up would be to push the button and disable it for each ride.

I was told that Audi has gradually refined the action of start/stop including a noticeable improvement in this new refreshed car, whether that difference is that noticeable or not from prior year models I can't say , but the very subtle action of turning back on when it does go off has not been anything close to the annoyance I figured it would be.

Plus, I have been very pleasantly surprised at the seamless action of the Adaptive cruise control which is another function that reportedly the local Audi service guys have said has steadily improved since it's more rocky inception.

I drove home from Phoenix to Sedona last week and literally did not touch either the gas or brake pedal from just outside PHX to the I-17 to Hwy 260 turnoff about an hour and twenty minutes later inspite of a solid amount of high speed traffic.

Even when a mustang zoomed right in front of me when my ACC was cruising at 85mph, the car instantly slowed quickly as fast as I could have responded and then smoothly accelerated back to speed as soon as the Mustang went off the highway. Was a very relaxing drive indeed, and will come in handy for those longer drives too at times I might prefer to chill instead of so actively navigate traffic.

Hulamau
My concern with the start-stop feature is that my normal daily commute is actually pretty short: about 10-15 minutes of side streets with several stop lights. As it was, this was a challenge for my BMW to keep the battery fully charged, but it did ok. If the car repeatedly shuts down, I'm worried the battery will drain dead. Perhaps the system is smart enough to keep track of that?

I'm also not sure what this means with regard to warming up the engine. I'd rather get the engine up to full temperature before the end of my commute.

My guess is that keeping the engine running is probably beneficial for what I need. If that's the case, then Audi has done me a disservice by taking away my ability to control whether start-stop is active.
Old 07-31-2015, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Stop/Start will not engage until the engine is warmed up along with several other requirements. Also, it will not allow the battery to drain.

My dislike is the short, momentary lag if you want to get up and go from an engine stop condition. I've tried it and don't use it. I'll settle for buying an extra 5 gallons of fuel or whatever it is per year. And for the tree huggers, I get the pollution aspect but if I wanted to help save the earth, I would have bought a Prius instead of a high performance, luxury automobile.
Old 07-31-2015, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Stop/Start will not engage until the engine is warmed up along with several other requirements. Also, it will not allow the battery to drain.

My dislike is the short, momentary lag if you want to get up and go from an engine stop condition. I've tried it and don't use it. I'll settle for buying an extra 5 gallons of fuel or whatever it is per year. And for the tree huggers, I get the pollution aspect but if I wanted to help save the earth, I would have bought a Prius instead of a high performance, luxury automobile.
+1 lol

There are a few multi-directional intersections in my area that I have timed out as having cycles in excess of 5 minutes. Sometimes I just shut my car off and wait until I see the side light turning yellow, restart and off I go. I just hate waiting that long when there are no other cars in the other lanes/directions and I want to play with saving fuel as a distraction from the poorly controlled traffic light system.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We just picked up our 2016 3.0 Quattro Prestige last week (Moonlight Blue over beige), and are slowly conquering learning all the various technical features. It took 4 days for the dealer to figure out why AudiConnect wasn't, but eventually they found the right PIN entry screen (blue font, not green).

Anyway, is anyone noticing a stumbling trans in 1st coming off a standstill? It seems to have a bit of a hesitation and then a lurch...somewhat subtle, but I notice it.

Thoughts?
Old 07-31-2015, 03:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven

Excellent, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks!
Old 07-31-2015, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default When I get in the car each morning...

… there are just a few ritual things that I do as it gives the car a moment (15-30 secs.) to reach full oil pressure. Just add the defeat Stop/Start to yours :-)

Best wishes

Eric