Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Foot operated trunk opener

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Foot operated trunk opener

The fine folks at Audizine started a discussion about some prestige models have a foot operated trunk opener.

The jist of it is that by pretending to step on something invisible right below the center of the trunk while having the keyfob in your pocket will pop the trunk open. It appears to be a feature that became, more or less, standard on 2014 models, A/S 6, 7, etc.

Now I say more-or-less because I spent 5 minutes twerking with my coworker and got it to open up only twice so far.

Has anyone else played with this feature or has any experience? It's rather convenient, if you ask me...
Old 03-09-2015, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

So we just tried doing it a bunch of times again - and it seems to be triggered by a variation of leg motion and leg height... Still can't find a pattern; only got it to open twice
Old 03-09-2015, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

I finally got it to work with more or less 90% success rate by sweeping my right leg from the center to the right, starting from nearly touching the bumper and ending with the foot on the ground. You then have to give it a couple of seconds and the trunk will open up.

So again - start with your foot off the ground, almost touching the bumper and position it at the center between the muffler tips, sweep it to the right and out while lowering your foot. Keep the foot on the ground for a couple of seconds - trunk should pop open!
Old 03-09-2015, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

I still have a pair of 1970’s vintage pointy toe snakeskin boots. When I am wearing them I kick my right foot up under the trunk lid and hit the release; 80-90% of the time she pops right open. Quite a nice feature for Audi to offer even in the lowly Premium Plus 2013 I am driving.
I believe Audi calls it the Boot betrieben Freisprecheinrichtung auotmobile Kofferraumdeckelöffner, or somehting like that.
Old 03-09-2015, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by irenesbob
I still have a pair of 1970’s vintage pointy toe snakeskin boots. When I am wearing them I kick my right foot up under the trunk lid and hit the release; 80-90% of the time she pops right open. Quite a nice feature for Audi to offer even in the lowly Premium Plus 2013 I am driving.
I believe Audi calls it the Boot betrieben Freisprecheinrichtung auotmobile Kofferraumdeckelöffner, or somehting like that.
Boot betrieben Freisprecheinrichtung auotmobile Kofferraumdeckelöffner - that's awesome!

Also - you're right, looks like the 'punting a football and getting your foot back rapidly' works better than the sweep
Old 03-09-2015, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

he, he
Old 03-10-2015, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

You guys are way behind on this one.
Here's a 200+ post thread on the subject.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...lease-2850029/

Summary: A few can get it to work every time. Most cannot. A couple of us had it disabled because the trunk lid would sometimes open when just walking by the rear of the car.
Old 03-10-2015, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, I was all excited to try this feature out.

I went kicking for it, nothing, then I went kicking for it, nothing, then I hit my knee against the bumper by accident, getting upset because I banged my knee on the bumper, I swept my leg back and forth, then I kicked again, this time, dislocating my knee. Popped it back into place, limped back over to the bumper, kicked a few more time, it hurt so good in my truth of engineering quest. Answered a quick question from my neighbor about why I appeared to be epileptic, kicked some more and then gave up.

About 4 seconds later the trunk opened. Cannot wait to try again! Winning!
Old 03-10-2015, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Will read again!

Originally Posted by 2014a6tdi
Yeah, I was all excited to try this feature out.

I went kicking for it, nothing, then I went kicking for it, nothing, then I hit my knee against the bumper by accident, getting upset because I banged my knee on the bumper, I swept my leg back and forth, then I kicked again, this time, dislocating my knee. Popped it back into place, limped back over to the bumper, kicked a few more time, it hurt so good in my truth of engineering quest. Answered a quick question from my neighbor about why I appeared to be epileptic, kicked some more and then gave up.

About 4 seconds later the trunk opened. Cannot wait to try again! Winning!
Good post, will read again!
Old 03-10-2015, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by McFuzz
I finally got it to work with more or less 90% success rate by sweeping my right leg from the center to the right, starting from nearly touching the bumper and ending with the foot on the ground. You then have to give it a couple of seconds and the trunk will open up.

So again - start with your foot off the ground, almost touching the bumper and position it at the center between the muffler tips, sweep it to the right and out while lowering your foot. Keep the foot on the ground for a couple of seconds - trunk should pop open!
Here's a little video one of the guys made on the AZ C7 forum.

Quick Reply: Foot operated trunk opener