Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Fuel Door Won't Open

Old 06-27-2015, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warranty?

My car has about 55,000 on it so it's out of warranty...are you saying that there's an exception to the standard warranty for these?

Originally Posted by dicktahoe
The gas cover on my 2013 A6 had the same problem as described. My Audi dealer replaced the Solenoid and that cured the problem. Audi has released a new, updated solenoid to replace the one you have and it's covered under warantee.
Old 06-28-2015, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 178 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by jmgard58
My car has about 55,000 on it so it's out of warranty...are you saying that there's an exception to the standard warranty for these?
It seems to be a common problem so even though your car is out of warranty I would speak to your dealer and see if they can get it replaced as a goodwill gesture. Key to that of course is to (at least at the start) be very polite and perhaps point out how you are thinking of replacing the car. Asking never hurt anyone!
Old 10-03-2015, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have a 2004 Audi A8L and just replaced the Fuel Flap Actuator switch but the fuel flap still will not release. The switch is working fine but still not releasing the flap. any ideas?
Old 10-04-2015, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 178 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry Gentry
I have a 2004 Audi A8L and just replaced the Fuel Flap Actuator switch but the fuel flap still will not release. The switch is working fine but still not releasing the flap. any ideas?
Have you replaced the whole locking unit or just the electrical part? The problem (on the C7 at least) is mechanical not electrical and basically the locking pin stops moving in and out and rotating as it does so thus unlocking the filler cap
Old 10-05-2015, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

No, I just replaced the Actuator. When I push the button with the flap open the latch seems to move just fine. It is as though the release pin doesn't move far enough back when the button is pushed with the door closed. The Actuator switch works properly
Old 05-10-2020, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry I know this is an old thread. My Fuel flap (2015 TDI ultra Avant) failed to open today. Tried pulling the emergency release and pushing the flap from outside but eventually the thin plastic wire broke off :-( Managed to eventually get the flap open manually but prizing the flap open as much as i dared and using a scredriver to force/break one of the lugs on the actuator.
How do I get to the actuator ?? I've looked at a number of guides and some mention 2 slots in the filler housing but cant see them on mine. I've tried using plastic sprungers and screwdrivers (whilst protecting the paintwork) but cant get the housing to budge, gave up when i started to crack the filler housing itself.
Have tried taking the internal side panel off but no way from the inside either
At moment have snapped the other lug from the actuator and have a "manual" fuel flap, does anybody have any idea how to safely remove the filler housing to replace the mechanism/actualtor without wrecking the bodywork
FYI its the housing with both the Fuel and AdBlue filer caps
Cheers for any advice :-)

Last edited by i0zjh02; 05-10-2020 at 05:42 AM. Reason: Spelling :-(
Old 05-10-2020, 09:36 AM
bpd
AudiWorld Member

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

This might help. You tube has others

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-.../#post24736833

Old 05-13-2020, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I had this issue on my 2016 A6 TDI and after looking at the fixes, and the real likelihood they would show up again at some point, I did this. I cut off the two tabs on the plunger. Those tabs are what locks the fuel flap to the plunger. Voila, no more locked fuel flap. Also, it keeps the plunger apparatus in place which my dealer informed me is part of the security circuit so the system won't throw a fault by having a missing plunger.
Lastly, the spring on the fuel flap door will keep the flap shut while driving yet the flap is easy enough to open by finger when you need to refuel.
The following users liked this post:
gk1 (05-13-2020)
Old 05-14-2020, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I had one of these landscape edging spikes laying around the garage which I used to put the short bent end around the filler cap gap and was able to pull the housing out to access the solenoid.
Old 07-18-2020, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Help! I have a 2016 A6 and am experiencing the same problem with the fuel door not opening. I could try a number of the options posted here but my conundrum is I can't get the darn thing open and my 18 year old used it last night and there is barely any gas left in it. Any ideas/tricks to get it open so I can refuel? The manual red cable doesn't work. Tried it with someone pulling and me pushing and no result. When I press the unlock button on the FOB I can hear a switch click but nothing happens. Any idea?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel Door Won't Open