Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Fuel gauge shows empty: How much gas is actually left?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 06:48 AM
zia
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel gauge shows empty: How much gas is actually left?

After experimenting over the past 10k miles or so, I've determined that zero miles to empty and "E" on the gauge actually means 1 gallon remains. For me that is about 22 extra miles.
1. Is the 1 gallon standard amongst all Audi models?
2. Is there a way to reset the gauge so that "E" actually mean empty?
Thanks
Old 11-13-2014, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by zia
After experimenting over the past 10k miles or so, I've determined that zero miles to empty and "E" on the gauge actually means 1 gallon remains. For me that is about 22 extra miles.
1. Is the 1 gallon standard amongst all Audi models?
I once drove more than 10 miles after the "distance to empty" readout read 0. Upon fillup, the car took 18.6 gallons of fuel - - which tells us that there were roughly 1.2 gallons still in the tank.

Per the owner's manual, when the yellow "low fuel" warning triggers (yellow 'gas pump' symbol at the top of the instrument console) there are 10 liters (roughly 2.5 gallons) of fuel left in the tank. for me that happens with 35 miles showing on the distance to empty....so on the highway, assuming 30 mpg, when the "low fuel" warning lights up I can probably drive 75 miles....but I would not want to test that hypothesis.

Originally Posted by zia
2. Is there a way to reset the gauge so that "E" actually mean empty?
Thanks
None that I am aware off. IMHO one would not want to do this, as it would leave zero margin of error. I'd rather have a bit of latitude if unforeseen circumstances require driving in the "red zone".
Old 11-13-2014, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

The specifics are in your owners manual.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by forza1976
The specifics are in your owners manual.
Actually, there's nothing in the manual that specifies how much fuel is remaining when the gauge is indicating empty, it only states how much is left when the warning light appears. So, the responses by others supports the OPs observation.

The manual also warns against running the tank to empty as it could damage the catalytic converter.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Actually, there's nothing in the manual that specifies how much fuel is remaining when the gauge is indicating empty, it only states how much is left when the warning light appears. So, the responses by others supports the OPs observation.

The manual also warns against running the tank to empty as it could damage the catalytic converter.
Not only the Cat-converter, but also the fuel-injector system.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven

Roger that.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

The Fuel low warning on mine is 40 miles. That is when I get the pop-up asking if I wish to navigate to a gas station. That is as low as I would go to eliminate the possibility of sucking up some crud from the bottom of the barrel.
Old 11-14-2014, 05:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Of the gas remaining in the tank I imagine a certain amount is unusable i.e., can't pick it up. This amount is specified in aircraft for instance.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have driven a few miles past the point of the low fuel warning and after the bottom fuel gauge LED starts flashing red. When I filled up the tank, it took 17.934 gallons. I never top off after the pump clicks off. Audi says the tank holds 19.8 gallons, which means I still had 1.8 gallons left in there. But you can't run it all the way dry. What if the car is on a slope and all the gas pools at the opposite end of the tank to the fuel pump?
Old 11-17-2014, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have run out of gas in My 2016 A6 Prestige as I pulled into the gas station. Had just enough momentum to get to the pump without having to push the car. I did not get much distance after hitting 0 on the miles remaining readout. Did much better on my A4.

What was disconcerting was that when the gas ran out completely the power steering turned off. Imagine that happening on the highway...

Quick Reply: Fuel gauge shows empty: How much gas is actually left?