Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Fuel Injection System Recall - Car Now Dead

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Fuel Injection System Recall - Car Now Dead

I took my 2012 A6 into the dealer to perform the Fuel Injection System Recall on 4/13. 8+ days and counting, still don't have my car back as it is now DEAD and won't start. They said the ECM (Car Engine Computer) shorted-out and they had to order a new one from Germany (still no ETA on its arrival).

As you can see in the photo they had to take off the supercharger and take the engine apart to replace the fuel rails. The said...... in quotes "When they put it back together the car started. They moved it to another spot in the garage and the next time it didn't start, nothing. They took it apart again, checked everything, and it still wouldn't start. They determined the ECM shorted out."

WTH!!!! I really hope they didn't screw up my engine. I'm just hoping when they finally fix it, the car runs the same or better. I don't know what to think? How could they short out the ECM? Anybody have any ideas on this? I just worry because I have 44,000 miles and warranty runs out real soon, so who knows what kind of damage was done that may show up 1-2 years from now.

Old 04-22-2015, 02:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Correct me if I am wrong, but most repairs like this will include their own warranty. Usually 1 or 2 years, and unlimited miles. So if they fix this recall issue, and your factory warranty expires in 6 months.... and then this issue pops up again, you should be covered.

That's how BMW does it, anyway.
Old 04-22-2015, 04:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would call AoA and ask them who is responsible for this mess and what happen down the road after your warranty is expired.

This is another example that shows these guys have no clue what they are doing.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Huntergts what dealership did you take it to?
Old 04-22-2015, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It is probably a coincidence that a failure occurred with the ECU as a result of the dealer doing the safety recall on your vehicle. I had mine done recently and while they did the recall I had the dealer update the MMI SW to fix some bugs I had complained about on previous service intervals. During the MMI update the 5F module failed. I am out of warranty but insisted that Audi should pick up the cost for replacing the module as it was working fine when I brought it in and since it failed during an update there must be some kind of design issue, this type of failure has happen before, that caused this failure. In any event the unit was replaced and Audi and the dealer shared in the cost. So these things happen. Hopefully in your case the engine starting problem is the result of a failed ECU and nothing to do with the recall work.
Old 04-22-2015, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JR - I have to take mine in but I was hesitant because I have the GIAC Stage 1 and INJEN Short Ram. Did u have any issues. I am out of warranty as well but I read in a B8 thread that Audi refused to do his recall because of tune. Apparently they needed to update the ECU. ANyone can respond but we have similar mods.
Old 04-22-2015, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

where are the fender covers ? the mechanic is a slob Im suprised a dealer would let this happen.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by lmbatts
JR - I have to take mine in but I was hesitant because I have the GIAC Stage 1 and INJEN Short Ram. Did u have any issues. I am out of warranty as well but I read in a B8 thread that Audi refused to do his recall because of tune. Apparently they needed to update the ECU. ANyone can respond but we have similar mods.
No, I had no issues with the dealer performing the recall. Dealer is well aware of my GIAC stage 2 tune as well as injen intake and other mods.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Did you loose your stage 2 tune during the recall service? I've been curious if the ecu update after the recall issue is fixed, will erase my stage 2 tune.
Old 04-25-2015, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by engleg
Did you loose your stage 2 tune during the recall service? I've been curious if the ecu update after the recall issue is fixed, will erase my stage 2 tune.
The recall service does nothing to the ECU. It simply replaces the fuel injection fuel rails and the injector "O" rings. So my tune is still intact.

Quick Reply: Fuel Injection System Recall - Car Now Dead