Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Fuel rail recall messed up my A6

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 132 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Fuel rail recall messed up my A6

Dropped my A6 off last Wed for the recall & picked it up the next day. When I got out of the car in my garage, I noticed a strong smell of fuel. Called the dealership & they stated that it was probably residual fuel that got spilled when changing the rail. Please give it a couple of days. (my thought was why didn't the mechanic clean up the spilled fuel). Well, 100 miles and 5 days later, still a strong smell of gasoline from engine compartment. Called dealership & will drop the car off Thur. Wonder what kind of BS I'll hear then!
Just really pisses me off when I drop a car off with NOTHING wrong with it & they screw it up! I really think that the mechanics just get in too big of a hurry - flat rate pays much better if you can do the job faster.
Old 04-28-2015, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is sad to read thread like this. I hope they fix it properly the next time around.
Old 04-28-2015, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I sincerely hope this is not a big deal. This recall has been performed on who knows how many vehicles by many dealers. Unfortunately someone is bound to screw something up, because we are fallible humans. Hope the dealer makes it right for you
Old 05-03-2015, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Got the fuel leak fixed. Mechanic said it was a faulty fitting. Most likely the fault was the failure to properly tighten the fitting. But, the dealership was very apologetic about the whole thing, and I still feel comfortable taking my car there for service. However, I will be doing my own oil changes, as well as all the filters and brakes - except the rears, of course.
Old 05-13-2015, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Regarding the fuel rail recall, I recently had this service performed. Prior to taking it in I had the dreaded thermostat failure. Followed the instructions to pull over and let the engine cool while not running, etc. and limped my way home stopping a couple times to cool down. Had the car towed in and they replaced the thermostat and crankcase valve as well as fuel rails and updated software. Now I have a vibration that didn't exist before, most noticeable at idle up to 2000 rpm. Took it down to the dealer and they agreed it was running rougher. After a couple of days they say it's normal and due to the software update. And they say they compared it to a couple of new vehicles as well, all exhibiting this vibration. My car is a 2012 3.0T, with 32,000 miles. Has anyone had this same experience with the recall? Or is there something else at play here?
Old 05-18-2015, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Pnt3013, I am the OP that had the fuel leak, AFTER the recall, but at no time did my engine run rough. They also did the thermostat & crankcase valve at the same time. My experience is that a small vacuum leak can cause a rough running engine, especially at low RPMs. I have no idea if that crankcase valve replacement could possibly cause a vacuum leak, but a lot of stuff has to be removed from the engine to perform that recall. Have you observed this "rough running engine" in other A6s with the 3.0? I would go to another dealer and/or call Audi US.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Is there a recommended online resource that lists and details factory recalls?
Old 05-19-2015, 02:42 AM
jbn
Audiworld Junior Member

1) Open Google
2) Type "Audi recalls"
3) Click the top entry: web.audiusa.com/recall

Less work than posting the question...
Old 05-26-2015, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Aviator6
Pnt3013, I am the OP that had the fuel leak, AFTER the recall, but at no time did my engine run rough. They also did the thermostat & crankcase valve at the same time. My experience is that a small vacuum leak can cause a rough running engine, especially at low RPMs. I have no idea if that crankcase valve replacement could possibly cause a vacuum leak, but a lot of stuff has to be removed from the engine to perform that recall. Have you observed this "rough running engine" in other A6s with the 3.0? I would go to another dealer and/or call Audi US.
Thanks. According to the dealer they compared it to a couple of other cars in for the recall, and found the same rough idle as a result of the ECU program flash, and pretty much tossed it off as the new normal. They ran diagnostics and said everything was normal but who knows what that really entails? They even said they actually had an Audi field engineer there for something else and asked him about it. Think you might be right about the possibility of a vacuum leak somewhere. Think I'll email another dealer's service manager to poll them if they encountered this issue and also write AofA. Not thrilled about the roughness. (or the transmission software update either but that's a different thread)