Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Full LED head light fix $2,200 !?!?! part only

Old 10-31-2013, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by in2dwww
So how hard would it be to smash the driver's window, pop the hood, and be a few grand richer?
I think headlights are a lot harder to remove now. Manufacturers have changed things since the days of the original Acura TL (the HID lights were constantly, and easily, being stolen and retro-fitted into the base model). As another safeguard, I believe that the Audi requires that LED lights have to be coded to each specific car.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:05 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
I think headlights are a lot harder to remove now. Manufacturers have changed things since the days of the original Acura TL (the HID lights were constantly, and easily, being stolen and retro-fitted into the base model). As another safeguard, I believe that the Audi requires that LED lights have to be coded to each specific car.
I'm not sure the hood pull can be used when the door is closed anyway.

In either case, don't tell the wife/gf/mistress how much each light costs, esp if she's good with a hammer.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

So how hard would it be to smash the driver's window, pop the hood, and be a few grand richer?
Probably harder than it would be for me to call my insurance agent for reimbursement for the repair under my comprehensive policy.

If someone really wants to steal something from a car or damage it, they will. That's why there's insurance. I'm not going to lose any sleep worrying about if it could happen any more than I worry about someone burglarizing my home, a delivery guy slipping on the ice in my driveway or me getting hit by lightning. You take what sensible precautions you can and life goes on.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:26 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty damn difficult. Headlight removal requires bumper removal, plus they're coded. They aren't coming off without somebody noticing, and once you get them out, its not so easy to put them into something else.

Thieves aren't going to risk prison when there's a good chance they're going to be caught, and even if they aren't, they won't be able to get much for lights that require a dealer to install. Not worth it to them. They'll steal something thats easier to remove and get rid of.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by keithl
It is not just $55K+ cars, most modern cars have plenty of very expensive parts in them. The navi and head units in most cars cost a fortune, but are not likely to need replacing. I keep a low deductible on my comprehensive since things like windshields and the mentioned tree hitting the car would be cover under comprehensive vs. collision and comprehensive is usually less expensive and it does not usually cost mush to drop the deductible. I keep $1K deductible on collision, but $0 on comprehensive.
Great point, thanks for mentioning that. Need to look into that for this car.