Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

FYI: Red Pocket users - new SIM cards are coming

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FYI: Red Pocket users - new SIM cards are coming

I got an email from Red Pocket indicating that I am being upgraded 'for free' to their GSMA network and that a new SIM card is on its way to me. Anyone else receive this kind of email? I hope it is not going to disrupt MMI operations :O
Old 06-03-2015, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

ditto. Just did a speedtest on my current SIM card with 3Mb/s download. I asked them if I can continue to use the old SIM card and was told it may not work. We'll see.
Old 06-06-2015, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by McFuzz
I got an email from Red Pocket indicating that I am being upgraded 'for free' to their GSMA network and that a new SIM card is on its way to me. Anyone else receive this kind of email? I hope it is not going to disrupt MMI operations :O
Hi,
They are (Red Pocket) mugging new customers by sending $1 AT&T card instead of $10 T-Mobil SIM but the true is they don’t have relation with T-Mobile anymore so, they replacing T-Mobile SIM’s with AT&T SIM’s and AT&T don’t have $10 for 1GB data plan. I am trying to get my money back from them. Total fraud, don’t have a business with them.
Old 06-06-2015, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Well, what's a viable alternative to Red Pocket? I no longer see the $5/512MB plan available -- or any data plan available for my current SIM (GSMT). I don't use much data, so that plan was excellent. I've seen TruPhone offered up, but am wary because someone wasn't able to get their money back. Also, it doesn't seem any cheaper than T-Mobile's 30-month option.
Old 06-06-2015, 08:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Just checked my Red Pocket after not using the car for 5 days-- it worked then, but no longer making a connection as of today. Chicago area.

Truphone is still working however, 3G.

Last edited by JRomulus; 06-06-2015 at 08:24 PM.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JRomulus
Just checked my Red Pocket after not using the car for 5 days-- it worked then, but no longer making a connection as of today. Chicago area.

Truphone is still working however, 3G.
Ditto!! Central NJ. Red Pocket stopped working as of yesterday and I have yet to receive the new SIM card.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Here is an email I got back from Red Pocket on their GSMT:

"We're sorry you're having trouble. At the moment, our GSMT account activation and refills are on hold. We do not know at this time when it will be resumed. The good news is we can upgrade your wireless service to GSMA for free. When you provide us your mailing address, we can send you a free GSMA SIM. You can access America’s largest GSM network with amazing coverage, superior call quality and lightning-fast LTE service

However we would just like to inform you that we do not have any Data Only Plans available on our GSMA account but we do offer 30-day Unlimited Plans which provides Voice, SMS and Data services."

If I understand the frequency, etc., the GSMA will provide 2G data at best besides being way too expensive for the intended use in Audi in the earlier C7 models (2012-2013)

Last edited by JRomulus; 06-08-2015 at 09:25 AM.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Ah crap; still working in CA Bay Area, but probably not for long.

Ok - so now we need an alternative provider. Any suggestions?
Old 06-08-2015, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

I went back to Truphone. It is more than Red Pocket was per MB, but--

a benefit they have is that it isn't a monthly plan, requiring renewal every 30 days.
Minimum refill is $15, but you can stretch that out for months if you choose.
And I also like that they list your activity in specific sessions, so you can see down to the Kb what different Audi Connect tasks are costing you in data.

But I guess Truphone could meet the same fate as Red Pocket?

BTW, I lost my original TMobile SIM that came with the car. Can anyone point to a webpage where you can order another one if desired and where they list the current plan options?
Old 06-08-2015, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Has anyone looked at the ATT DataConnect 1 GB for 90 days @ $25 plan? Or will that automatically drop me down to 2G speeds?

Quick Reply: FYI: Red Pocket users - new SIM cards are coming