Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

How much stiffer is the factory sport suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How much stiffer is the factory sport suspension?

Ideally, I could answer my own question by test driving one, but my local dealer only has the non-sport A6 in stock, so it's a challenge.

Wife is getting ready to replace her C300 (with sport susp), and thinking of either S4 or A6. Interior/exterior looks - I actually prefer the A6. However, she and I do want the car to not handle like a proverbial boat, so I'm thinking the sport suspension option is probably something we would want on the A6. But how much of a difference will it really make? Will it still be a far cry from the handling of the S4?

Thanks!
Old 07-21-2014, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

You'll get lots of opinions on this as it can be difficult to quantify, is subject to personal preference and is also affected by the wheel/tire size.

I selected the 19" Sport after comparing non-sport to both the sport 19 and 20". I felt the extra rubber of the 19" was a good compromise between the ride and handling of the sport suspension. IMO, the superior, more responsive handling is well worth the small amount of increased ride stiffness. I live in the NE where the roads are not always the best, yet I find the ride is very acceptable on most broken pavement and very comfortable on decent surfaces. Also, the lower ride height with reduced fender gap makes the car look much more aggressive.

No regrets on the sport pkg whatsoever here.

As to comparing the A6 w/Sport suspension to the S6, my experience driving an S6 loaner was the handling and ride was comparable, albeit with the S6 adjustable air suspension set to "dynamic". An S4 is a lighter, more nimble car so it's tough to compare the two. Apple and orange.

Last edited by snagitseven; 07-21-2014 at 06:15 AM.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Thanks!

Originally Posted by snagitseven
As to comparing the A6 w/Sport suspension to the S6,
FYI, I was actually talking about the S4 (not S6), despite it being in a somewhat different class than the A6. The fact is, we don't need a car as large as the A6. I just prefer the looks (interior/exterior) of the A6 platform.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by ex-quattro PETE
Thanks!

FYI, I was actually talking about the S4 (not S6), despite it being in a somewhat different class than the A6. The fact is, we don't need a car as large as the A6. I just prefer the looks (interior/exterior) of the A6 platform.
As I wrote, the S4 is smaller, lighter and will be more nimble. Recalling my experience with an S4 loaner, the ride was more stiff than my A6 sport.

Last edited by snagitseven; 07-21-2014 at 11:04 AM.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Thanks!
Old 07-21-2014, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ex-quattro PETE
Ideally, I could answer my own question by test driving one, but my local dealer only has the non-sport A6 in stock, so it's a challenge.

Wife is getting ready to replace her C300 (with sport susp), and thinking of either S4 or A6. Interior/exterior looks - I actually prefer the A6. However, she and I do want the car to not handle like a proverbial boat, so I'm thinking the sport suspension option is probably something we would want on the A6. But how much of a difference will it really make? Will it still be a far cry from the handling of the S4?

Thanks!
Coming from a tuned 2010 S4 and moving into the A6/S6 series, I drove them all. The S6 was faster of course but compares favorable to the 19" Sport option A6. The std A6 felt somewhat disconnected/remote compared to both the S6 and A6 sport.
Neither however was even close to the immediacy and buttoned down feel of the S4.
Anyway, am thrilled with the A6 Sport and would not change anything except perhaps an APR tune in the future???????
Old 07-21-2014, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I opted for the 19" Sports package on my 2014 A6. Handling is nice and tight, but the ride is very smooth. In comparison, I tried the Sport version of the Infiniti Q50 and it was like being bounced by a 70's era pickup. Blech...
Old 07-21-2014, 08:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

i think the tire choice has more bearing on the ride over the sport vs non-sport.

With the sport you can get the 19" all seasons, and the ride is very compliant and smooth compared with the same suspension with the 20" summer, which is still smooth but noticeably firmer.

I have had 2 A6s with sport, one with the 19" AS tires (contipro) and one with the 20" summer tires (Pzero) and I prefer the 20s as to me it feels a bit more buttoned down and responsive.

That being the case, it might be best to go with the 19" sport package, which will give you the option to retain the All Seasons or go summer rubber, whereas once you go 20" you options are really limited outside of summer tires at that size.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 188 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by josh Prieur
i think the tire choice has more bearing on the ride over the sport vs non-sport.

With the sport you can get the 19" all seasons, and the ride is very compliant and smooth compared with the same suspension with the 20" summer, which is still smooth but noticeably firmer.

That being the case, it might be best to go with the 19" sport package, which will give you the option to retain the All Seasons or go summer rubber, whereas once you go 20" you options are really limited outside of summer tires at that size.
I would agree that the sport suspension and 20s are fiirm but not too much so. I prefer a soft ride on my daily commute and good handling during weekend jaunts. I realize you cant have both so this setup isn't bad as it gives a good balance of handling and ride.
As far as replacement tires go, there are several options for both summer and A/S needs on tire rack.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have 20 summer and ride could be harsh over potholes. Switch to 18 winter and there is a marked difference in ride comfort. But even with sport package the car still rolls in corners.

Test drove a S4 and it is totally different animal. With sport rear differentials it handles much better than A6 sport.

I need IR night vision otherwise would have gone with S4.