Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Get yer' Prepaid Audi Connect!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 09:18 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by woodhead
Could you let us know what you have to enter to set it up in the car once you receive the SIM? Thanks!
Of course I will report back when I receive the sim and how many days lasted the 10 Dlls at my mild usage rate
Old 01-15-2014, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So it seems that many in this thread don't use much data per month. I took a quick look at my usage since Jan 1st (just bought the car) and after 15 days I am at 245 megabytes halfway through the month (only 195 miles on the clock) and I have yet to connect to the wifi. This data usage is as of 1/1/2014 right from initial activation.

If this usage for me is indicative of how much I use it with such little mileage and 15 days, none of these options would be cost effective. Because even at .06/MB it would still be 15 bucks for 250MB and I'm on target to use between 450 and 500 this month. So 30 bucks for 500MB.

Is this really a cost effective solution? Or is my data usage just the first months usage for activation, etc.?
Old 01-15-2014, 12:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 13c7a6
It didn't work for me last time I was there with roaming off. However, T-mo announced global data roaming as of Oct last year @ 128k, I'll try again later this month with data roaming on and see if that works. I have the 30-month T-mo plan.
Will appreciate information.. Please post about your experience.... Thank you.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by forza1976
So it seems that many in this thread don't use much data per month. I took a quick look at my usage since Jan 1st (just bought the car) and after 15 days I am at 245 megabytes halfway through the month (only 195 miles on the clock) and I have yet to connect to the wifi. This data usage is as of 1/1/2014 right from initial activation. If this usage for me is indicative of how much I use it with such little mileage and 15 days, none of these options would be cost effective. Because even at .06/MB it would still be 15 bucks for 250MB and I'm on target to use between 450 and 500 this month. So 30 bucks for 500MB. Is this really a cost effective solution? Or is my data usage just the first months usage for activation, etc.?
Well first i do not use my car daily, second the 30 month deal for 450 was not available to me until I had my car for a year, third the first days you consume more data because the system is downloading the maps to the cache memory which it will use eventually without downloading them again, and finally you consume more data because it is the new thing and I am sure you are performing searches, etc.
15 per month is a good deal if I had the option when I has the car.
I don't remember but I believe the best deal I could get back then was like 25 per month for like 3 years or so.
I got my lycamobile today I put 10 Dlls of credit and the APN settings

data.lycamobile.com
Username lmus
Password plus

Let's see how many days those 10 Dlls last for 100 meters google maps imaging.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Question About Lycamobile and/or WiFi Hotspot

I installed my lycamobile SIM card today and changed APN to data.lycamobile.com. Audi Connect works for Gas Prices etc. BUT the WiFi HotSpot doesn't work.

On the MMI where you select Data Connection or WiFi, the WiFi line is greyed out. Only the Data Connection line can be selected.

Anyone have any ideas???
Old 01-15-2014, 02:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by AUDIQSS
I installed my lycamobile SIM card today and changed APN to data.lycamobile.com. Audi Connect works for Gas Prices etc. BUT the WiFi HotSpot doesn't work. On the MMI where you select Data Connection or WiFi, the WiFi line is greyed out. Only the Data Connection line can be selected. Anyone have any ideas???
I do not know because if I use the wifi it will deplete my credit pretty fast but I will check, did you enter username and password?
Old 01-15-2014, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by forza1976
So it seems that many in this thread don't use much data per month. I took a quick look at my usage since Jan 1st (just bought the car) and after 15 days I am at 245 megabytes halfway through the month (only 195 miles on the clock) and I have yet to connect to the wifi. This data usage is as of 1/1/2014 right from initial activation.
Really curious what you are using all the data on - that seems so far out there. In 7 months I had used 85 MBs down and 9 MBs up. Now I did very little in terms of searches, etc. Most was from just using the google maps on NAVI
Old 01-15-2014, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Maverick61
Really curious what you are using all the data on - that seems so far out there. In 7 months I had used 85 MBs down and 9 MBs up. Now I did very little in terms of searches, etc. Most was from just using the google maps on NAVI
That's a really good question, I honestly have no idea. I use the Google maps all the time but I'm not searching and honestly i've only used Connect a few times to see the weather and gas.

Perhaps my car needed several updates? I'll see how it goes for February but I thought it looked rather excessive as well.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AUDIQSS
I installed my lycamobile SIM card today and changed APN to data.lycamobile.com. Audi Connect works for Gas Prices etc. BUT the WiFi HotSpot doesn't work.

On the MMI where you select Data Connection or WiFi, the WiFi line is greyed out. Only the Data Connection line can be selected.

Anyone have any ideas???
i got my SIM card today, but I've been having trouble reaching Lyca to buy my first $10 of Charge. Once I do that, I guess they will give me and ID and password, but how do I load that into the Audi MMI? I have a 2013 A6 Prestige.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After about 20-minutes on hold, I finally got in touch with Lyca and talked with someone in India. He was hard to understand and he wanted me to dial *613# to get my Lyca cell phone number, but I can't do that from my Audi. I have an iPhone so I can't put the SIM card in that phone--so I don't know what to do?

I told him I wanted to use the card in my Audi, and I needed to register and pay for my "Pay as you go service", and he indicated I can't use my iMac to do that, I must use a PC through Internet Explorer. OK so I'll try to do that now. Rather confusing, I must say I thought it would be easier than this.

Quick Reply: Get yer' Prepaid Audi Connect!