Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Get yer' Prepaid Audi Connect!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by forza1976
So it seems that many in this thread don't use much data per month. I took a quick look at my usage since Jan 1st (just bought the car) and after 15 days I am at 245 megabytes halfway through the month (only 195 miles on the clock) and I have yet to connect to the wifi. This data usage is as of 1/1/2014 right from initial activation.

If this usage for me is indicative of how much I use it with such little mileage and 15 days, none of these options would be cost effective. Because even at .06/MB it would still be 15 bucks for 250MB and I'm on target to use between 450 and 500 this month. So 30 bucks for 500MB.

Is this really a cost effective solution? Or is my data usage just the first months usage for activation, etc.?
My avg usage over 18 months is about 250-275MB. It really comes down to how much you use the Google Earth map overlay outside of your local area cache (a real data hog) and how often you use the other services, i.e. weather, news, Street View, etc. For those who don't use AC for more than the occasional Google search and don't wander out of a 20 mile radius or so with Google Earth, one of the pay-for-use options would be the way to go.

I'm one of those that really enjoys the tech and uses it regularly on day trips out of my area. I paid the $450 and like that I don't have to worry about usage or even think about it for three years (incl the trial period). I'm sure there are some months where the $15 effective cost is higher than my usage but overall, at least for me, it's evened out (and I very rarely use the in car wifi).
Old 01-15-2014, 08:05 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dicktahoe
After about 20-minutes on hold, I finally got in touch with Lyca and talked with someone in India. He was hard to understand and he wanted me to dial *613# to get my Lyca cell phone number, but I can't do that from my Audi. I have an iPhone so I can't put the SIM card in that phone--so I don't know what to do?

I told him I wanted to use the card in my Audi, and I needed to register and pay for my "Pay as you go service", and he indicated I can't use my iMac to do that, I must use a PC through Internet Explorer. OK so I'll try to do that now. Rather confusing, I must say I thought it would be easier than this.
same thing happened to me but I waited and eventually somebody answered the call, I told the guy I wanted to get a phone number and he asked for my zip code, the last 4 digits of my sim and the puk code.
(He told me I could have done it through their website and I believe that is the case here https://account.lycamobile.us/DNA.aspx?lang=EN)

Anyways he gave me a number with my area code, and with that number I registered in lycamobile.us (I tried from the iphone and never worked I had to do it from a pc, maybe that is what he said about the imac, maybe the website uses flash, which idevices cannot open)
After that I put 10 dollars of credit, the APN settings I already said below in the MMI settings AND.....
lets' see how for long the 10 dollars last.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:08 PM
Banned

i got my SIM card today, but I've been having trouble reaching Lyca to buy my first $10 of Charge. Once I do that, I guess they will give me and ID and password, but how do I load that into the Audi MMI? I have a 2013 A6 Prestige.
sorry for answering in two different posts, but you are obviously CONFUSED
You DO NOT put neither your number nor password nor anything in the MMI, that is for you to go into lycamobile website and recharge, check your balance etc.
What you put in the MMI is the APN settings, go to phone, and then settings, I believe is connection settings and there you put this info
APN data.lycamobile.com
Username lmus
Password plus

hit back and the information is stored in your MMI.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Maverick61
Really curious what you are using all the data on - that seems so far out there. In 7 months I had used 85 MBs down and 9 MBs up. Now I did very little in terms of searches, etc. Most was from just using the google maps on NAVI
What are you using to connect? audi connect or one of the prepaids?
because for you the lycamobile option would be great, 94mb at 6 cents $5.64 in 7 months.
PERFECT
Old 01-16-2014, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by feralc
What are you using to connect? audi connect or one of the prepaids?
because for you the lycamobile option would be great, 94mb at 6 cents $5.64 in 7 months.
PERFECT
I started using Truphone a month and a half ago. It has been fine. only thing was when I started using truphone, I lost all my cached maps from my first 6 months t-mobile trial when I had my car on for service and they did the 715 MMI update. Not the fault of truphone - it was the MMI update that wiped the cache out. So I did get hit with some heavy initial usage - like 25 or 30MB as I downloaded a lot on near full zoom. But very little since then as I don't typically go outside my cached area that often

Lycamobile would even have been cheaper but did not know about them
Old 01-16-2014, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by feralc
sorry for answering in two different posts, but you are obviously CONFUSED
You DO NOT put neither your number nor password nor anything in the MMI, that is for you to go into lycamobile website and recharge, check your balance etc.
What you put in the MMI is the APN settings, go to phone, and then settings, I believe is connection settings and there you put this info
APN data.lycamobile.com
Username lmus
Password plus

hit back and the information is stored in your MMI.
I hate to keep COMPLAINING. However this is sooooo frustrating.
I take out the SIM card that came with my Audi, and insert the Lyca SIM card that has now been registered and $10 added to my account. I do as you suggested, and my MMI Locks up. AMAZING!. If I leave my orginal SIM installed, I can enter APN, etc. and it get's stored. However, when I put in my Lyca SIM and start entering APN, my MMI locks up, I can't go back, I can't select NAV or any other function, it's just totally locked, and I don't know what to do?
Old 01-16-2014, 10:55 AM
Banned

Click tel then settings and then turn off data module and then yes Wait a while and turn it back on That should reset the MMI, the system in the car is not the fastest and needs a reset once In a while Some problem I keep encountering is that when I restart the car it doesn't connect automatically and weirdly enough changed my APN settings to Vodafone ones I took the sim out reinserted it and it worked and the lycamobile APN settings were there again Also I am confused if roaming should be enabled or not, I live near Mexico and I do not know if they are considering USA as "home" and I will be roaming (at a higher rate) if I use it near the border OR the USA is roaming too?
And the reason I am asking if roaming should be enabled or not is because if you do online status overview of the MMI the Tmobile shows a triangle that I believe means it is roaming, but I do not have roaming enabled (so I have no idea haha)
Attached Images  

Last edited by feralc; 01-16-2014 at 11:08 AM.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

feralc
You have been such great help. I'll go try that. I don't know how I would ever have known the APN to use, the User name Imus or the password plus, if you had not listed them--I guess all this APN, Name and password is the same for everyone is that correct?
Old 01-16-2014, 11:17 AM
Banned

feralc You have been such great help. I'll go try that. I don't know how I would ever have known the APN to use, the User name Imus or the password plus, if you had not listed them--I guess all this APN, Name and password is the same for everyone is that correct?
Glad to help
APN settings are the same for everyone
Old 01-16-2014, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

When I go to TEL then Settings, I don't see any place where I can "turn off the data module". When I put my original Audi SIM card in the MMI operates normally and when I check the connection, all the APN, User Name and password are there. When I remove the Audi SIM card, and put in the Lycamobile one, and look at the data fields, they're empty. When I start trying to enter the data, within one of two letters the whole MMI freezes--It freezes so much I can't even use the button to close the display. I'm beginning to think maybe I have a bad SIM. I've tried every combination I can think of an still nothing works. I don't think signal strength has anything to do with this, but at my home I only have 2G (no connection, just signal strength). I even drove up the mountain where I got 3G signal and still it behaves the same way. Very confusing, very frustrating and it shouldn't be this HARD.

Quick Reply: Get yer' Prepaid Audi Connect!