Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Get yer' Prepaid Audi Connect!

Old 03-27-2015, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Calimus
You won't be able to use the Audi Connect with that sim as far as I know. Audi has it's deal with T-Mobile and won't register any other carriers sim. Unless I'm totally worng.

The idea of the Truphone sim is so that you can at least use Google Maps and make the car a Hot Spot without having to shell out $30 a month to Audi for the pleasure.
Your first statement is actually not correct. Audi Connect will work with an AT&T sim (though only at 2G speeds though before MY2014 C7). Audi doesn't care which is used. Note it has been reported that if you use a T-Mobile sim from another device's plan (i.e. an iPad sim), T-Mobile may render it inoperative when they audit for IMEIs.

Truphone and other T-Mobile network drivers can save money over sourcing directly from T-Mobile. But be advised if you regularly use the hot spot or Google Earth overlay (it's not a map) and travel outside a 20 mile radius where the cache will keep updating, the costs of the pay-for-use options can end up costing significantly more than the T-Mobile 30 month prepaid plan which works out to $15 per month.

Last edited by snagitseven; 03-27-2015 at 06:36 PM.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Your first statement is actually not correct. Audi Connect will work with an AT&T sim (though only at 2G speeds though before MY2014 C7). Audi doesn't care which is used. Note it has been reported that if you use a T-Mobile sim from another device's plan (i.e. an iPad sim), T-Mobile may render it inoperative when they audit for IMEIs.

Truphone and other T-Mobile network drivers can save money over sourcing directly from T-Mobile. But be advised if you regularly use the hot spot or Google Earth overlay (it's not a map) and travel outside a 20 mile radius where the cache will keep updating, the costs of the pay-for-use options can end up costing significantly more than the T-Mobile 30 month prepaid plan which works out to $15 per month.
I have Truphone and Audi Connect works just fine. But I can't register it at myaudiconnect.com. No big loss.
And yes, snag is right, that Truphone is economical when used judiciously, but can really rack up charges if used as he mentioned. But again, I don't use it that often, so it's economical and works for me. Also, makes me feel that I'm not held hostage by T-Mobile!
Old 03-27-2015, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Alphatero
I don't use it that often, so it's economical and works for me. Also, makes me feel that I'm not held hostage by T-Mobile!
Actually, while you are not locked in for the prepaid 30 month program, T-Mobile is still getting a piece of your money as Truphone, P-Tel and the others use the T-Mobile network.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love this thread....my 6 months of free T-mobile expired this weekend. Went to AT&T and asked for a sim card for my "Wifi Tablet" and added it for $10/mo to my family share plan. 10 min later, put in the ATT sim and voila, everything was up and running after I confirmed on the MMI that I wanted to set up a new data connection. $10 sure beats the $30/mo, 3G speeds (2015 A6) and have plenty of data to share....
Old 04-09-2015, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by yenner1
Love this thread....my 6 months of free T-mobile expired this weekend. Went to AT&T and asked for a sim card for my "Wifi Tablet" and added it for $10/mo to my family share plan. 10 min later, put in the ATT sim and voila, everything was up and running after I confirmed on the MMI that I wanted to set up a new data connection. $10 sure beats the $30/mo, 3G speeds (2015 A6) and have plenty of data to share....
Logged after ages today. Interesting to read this...will this work for 2012 A6 as well or this a newer car thing? I thought our cars were locked in to T-Mobile. I might have to look into the family share plans. Still on older AT&T plan for my 2 phones with unlimited data right now..need to compare pricing and benefits for both
Old 04-09-2015, 02:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Verizon sim compatibility?

Just curious, will a Verizon sim work?
Old 04-09-2015, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by AZ-A6
Just curious, will a Verizon sim work?
No. Verizon is a CDMA provider, not GSM. The SIM is used for LTE only.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by dcmetro
Logged after ages today. Interesting to read this...will this work for 2012 A6 as well or this a newer car thing? I thought our cars were locked in to T-Mobile. I might have to look into the family share plans. Still on older AT&T plan for my 2 phones with unlimited data right now..need to compare pricing and benefits for both
A newer car thing. On the MY2012/2013 C7 models, while an AT&T sim will work, it will only be at much slower 2G speeds. As an alternative to subscribing to T-Mobile directly, you can get the pay-for-use 3G providers like PTel, Truphone and others that use the T-Mobile network.
Old 04-10-2015, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

A newer car thing. On the MY2012/2013 C7 models, while an AT&T sim will work, it will only be at much slower 2G speeds. As an alternative to subscribing to T-Mobile directly, you can get the pay-for-use 3G providers like PTel, Truphone and others that use the T-Mobile network.
I figured, thanks for the confirmation
Old 04-12-2015, 11:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just would like to chime in and note that I am month 3 of Red Pocket without any issues. The past two months I did the $10/1GB monthly refill plan, but I noticed my usage averages between 150-200 MB with no more than 350... so this month I'll see how the 512 MB plan works out for me; can't beat that for $5!

My only qualm is that their website could use a bit of work; but service, so far, has been fairly good.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Get yer' Prepaid Audi Connect!