Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Get yer' Prepaid Audi Connect!

Old 04-18-2015, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mya6tdi
Sorry, I'm a newbie, yet I'm flying to Germany to pick up my new a6 tdi in Ingostadt early next month. Any SIM card I can get which will be functional in Germany for a few weeks?
If you have an iPad, get a local data sim with 1-2GB and use the TomTom Western Europe app ($45?) If you have a T-Mobile iPhone, data is free, although slow, but will work fast enough for TomTom. Sound should come through the MMI with Bluetooth enabled. I will find out this June.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now granted, I do not use the connection much - mainly to occasionally download new google map overlays, but no complaints about Truphone. I still have a small amount of credit remaining from my initial $15 airtime credit signup (and a $5 courtesy credit they gave me for an issue I experienced). So in about 18 months I have spent the $29.99 for the SIM and initial airtime - and have about $4 of airtime credit still remaining.
Old 04-22-2015, 03:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Confusion

I have read all that has been written on the sim cards and would like to know if Red Pocket is the the way to go with their $10 month starter plan? I only plan to use Google earth on the maps and am not that tech savvy. If i go with this plan what steps do I follow to get it started. Any help would be really appreciated.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by kevin880
I have read all that has been written on the sim cards and would like to know if Red Pocket is the the way to go with their $10 month starter plan? I only plan to use Google earth on the maps and am not that tech savvy. If i go with this plan what steps do I follow to get it started. Any help would be really appreciated.
Do you drive much outside the same general area? If not, IMO you are better off with Truphone given how you will use the connection (Google Earth on Maps).

I say that because if you are in the same general area, once the Google Earth map overlays are downloaded, no need to connect / download them again each day. I only connect when I drive outside my typical area. So as I posted yesterday, doing this I have only used about $16 of airtime credit from Truphone. Cost me $30 for the initial SIM and starter credit. $30 over 24 months (18 so far and I think I have enough credit left to get another 6 months) = $1.25 a month

So why spend $10 a month on Red Pocket?
Old 04-23-2015, 05:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I am reaching the end of my 6 months free service and IF I decide to continue with cell service, I will be switching to AT&T tablet service. T-Mobile in my area is horrible and 3G is almost non-existent outside the immediate metro... and the dealer has not given me options other than "oh, T-Mobil is great... I don't know why you're only getting 2G service" answer.
Old 04-24-2015, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick61

So why spend $10 a month on Red Pocket?
A couple thoughts to consider, I have both Tru and Red:

1. See post #366 above, there is the link to get to the $5/month plan for RedPocket.
2. Buy the SIM for Red Pocket GMST and it is only $1 from the GoRedPocket site.
3. The actual cost per MB on RedPocket is half of what Truphone is.
4. Truphone insists on a Quarterly refill; which means minimum $60 per year. (At least they have with me). They will not let you coast with just a $15 refill and a $1/month usage; e.g., when March ends and you haven't spent $15, they will put a hold on your account regardless as to how much credit you still have, until you reload or call in ask them to reinstate your account. Until RedPocket, I was setting up a calendar reminder 2 days before the end of each calendar quarter to buy another $15 at Truphone to keep my account open. I personally think that's BS especially for what they charge per MB.
5. On a direct comparison (since I have both Truphone and RedPocket) for whatever reason, in the Chicago area, I get a better and more frequent 3G connection (vs. 2G which is worthless for all but sending an address to your Car) with RedPocket than TruPhone.

Your mileage may vary...
Old 04-24-2015, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Theoretically, there shouldn't be any difference in signal strength/availability with these pre-MY2016 Audi Connect compatible 3rd party providers since they all use the same T-Mobile network.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by JRomulus
A couple thoughts to consider, I have both Tru and Red:

4. Truphone insists on a Quarterly refill; which means minimum $60 per year. (At least they have with me). They will not let you coast with just a $15 refill and a $1/month usage; e.g., when March ends and you haven't spent $15, they will put a hold on your account regardless as to how much credit you still have, until you reload or call in ask them to reinstate your account. Until RedPocket, I was setting up a calendar reminder 2 days before the end of each calendar quarter to buy another $15 at Truphone to keep my account open. I personally think that's BS especially for what they charge per MB.
This is not correct. They did do this initially but their system was set up incorrectly and they have changed it. As i noted - I have only paid the initial $29.99 - and had the service for over 18 months. Never had to pay for an additional $15 refill every 3 months. There is NO quarterly refill requirement.

So for me Paying $29.99 for over 18 months is far better than even $5 a month on the Redpocket plan - which would have cost $90 over the same time frame

Last edited by Maverick61; 04-24-2015 at 09:07 PM.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick61
This is not correct. They did do this initially but their system was set up incorrectly and they have changed it. As i noted - I have only paid the initial $29.99 - and had the service for over 18 months. Never had to pay for an additional $15 refill every 3 months. There is NO quarterly refill requirement.

So for me Paying $29.99 for over 18 months is far better than even $5 a month on the Redpocket plan - which would have cost $90 over the same time frame
I have not seen this fix. I will check it out.
That said the cost per MB is still outrageous by comparison.
Old 04-25-2015, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought a straight talk tablet plan and its working great. Its 15$ for 30 days and 1GB Limit. I got this because it helps me understand if the online features are truly worth the extra money. If my wife and I find it to our liking, we will probably sign up for the TMo 30 month package since its the same price per month and almost unlimited data.

EDIT: One thing I noticed right away is that one cannot register the car on the audi connect website when using a non-TMo sim. This only seems to restrict the ability to send an address to the car. I am not sure what else the website offers .

Last edited by KickAss; 04-25-2015 at 04:22 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Get yer' Prepaid Audi Connect!