Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Get yer' Prepaid Audi Connect!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by HaveBlue
Send to car no longer works with Google maps/earth api.
Not true. I just checked and did a send to from Google Maps on a pc from Chrome and showed up right away, no issues. Click "Send to Device" in the legend on left side after selecting a pin location on the map.

I also noticed that the New Google Maps also listed my Android tablet and my smartphone as additional device options to send to in addition to "send to car".
Old 09-15-2015, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JRomulus
Not true. I just checked and did a send to from Google Maps on a pc from Chrome and showed up right away, no issues. Click "Send to Device" in the legend on left side after selecting a pin location on the map.

I also noticed that the New Google Maps also listed my Android tablet and my smartphone as additional device options to send to in addition to "send to car".
Using Windows 10, and Chrome, only device I had to send to was my phone. Car's not even listed. How do you add your car to the device List ??
Old 09-15-2015, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rush2112
Using Windows 10, and Chrome, only device I had to send to was my phone. Car's not even listed. How do you add your car to the device List ??
Make sure you are not using the "Lite" version of Google Maps.

Then, try this:

https://www.google.com/maps/sendtocar

See if that gets you there.
Old 09-28-2015, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Free 200 MB/month from T-Mobile

I've been following this forum closely and had Truphone and AT&T.

I added to the connection sticky in the forum.

In short, 200MB free/month through T-mobile prepaid

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...tions-2888761/
Old 12-24-2015, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default GREAT THREAD!

Lots of useful information and practical experience has been posted here over the course of the last 4 years.

My free Audi Connect trial expires in 10 days and I've been interested in finding a cheaper alternative. My usage for the past 6 months (Sent + Received) has averaged 3.9 MB/day. I use Google Maps and occasionally use the WiFi hotspot. At TruSim's price of 9¢/MB, my yearly cost would be $128 for the data and $15 for the sim card, for a total of $143/year, or 12 bucks a month. If I remain with AC T-Mobile, I would buy the $199/one-year plan rather than get locked into a 2½ year contract. It's only $19 more for a single year than the 30-month plan.

For the coming year, I've planned some long trips where I'll be using Google Maps and the hotspot also. For that reason, I'm leaning towards continuing with AC and not pursuing small savings with Trusim that may or may not materialize with my future usage habits.

Some questions:
1) The Audi Connect $199/one-year plan is for unlimited data, is it not?
I want to be absolutely sure about this.
2) One poster said that Trusim wanted $15 every 90 days to keep their account open, whether or not there was money on the card.
Have any other Trusim users experienced this?
3) Has anyone else checked their Hotspot internet speeds?
I'm getting about 2 Mbps down and 0.6 Mbps up and I'm on 3G. It's OK for surfing and email, but no way will you be streaming video at those speeds! BTW, as others have noted, the hotspot is a data hog...15 minutes of browsing and speed-checking used up over 70 MB of data!
Old 12-24-2015, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Truphone is not a good idea if you have significant usage. Take a look at us mobile. You can buy ala carte data plans and change it up or down every month.
Old 12-24-2015, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Check out US Mobile. $4.70 for 100MB @ month, $7.70 for 200 MB @ month and so on. You can pick any plan each month, i.e. you will need more for traveling, etc. No contracts. They use the same T-Mobile network as Truphone which would be $.09 x 200 = $18 in a month or T-Mobile direct which word out to for $16.67 per month with a 1 year prepaid plan (no refunds if you change your mind later). As I've mentioned earlier, I'm now using US Mobile which works fine.

T-Mobile has a promotion now for 200MB per month free. There's another thread on how to get that going with their $.99 sim card.

Another option if you have an AT&T plan on your phone is to add the car under the family shared plan for $10 @ month.

All the T-Mobile Audi Connect data plans are unlimited but back when I had my original 30 month T-Mobile acct I sometimes noticed speed throttling after some indeterminate amount of data used.

The car's wifi hotspot with T-Mobile 3G is too slow to do more than some basic stuff. Much better to use a smartphone with 4G LTE. I use my iPhone via Bluetooth Audio to stream music with Pandora, Spotify and other.

Last edited by snagitseven; 12-24-2015 at 01:35 PM.
Old 12-24-2015, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

US Mobile is certainly cheap, but there's no carryover from month to month. Looks like you have to setup and pay each month and try to figure out what your usage will be for that month. If you undershoot, you've got to go back and buy another block of data just to get you through the month.

I figure it might save me a 90-100 bucks over the course of a year, but it seems like a lot of work for that C-note. One-year of unlimited data means paying once and forgetting about it until next year. There's no need to plan for upcoming usage or wasting time with monthly (or even bi-monthly) billing. More importantly, no running out of data in the middle of the Mojave Desert.

For ease and peace of mind, I don't mind paying a premium. An extra $100 for a no-brainer data plan on a $70K car is chump change.

As snagitseven said (and please forgive my editing):
If you like the convenience of pay-once-and-play whenever and however much you like without worrying about usage tracking or payment hassles, then T-Mobile direct prepaid is the best option. If you are intent on saving a few bucks, plan to use Audi Connect judiciously, and don't mind tracking your usage and payments, then one of the alternative T-Mobile sim providers is the option for you. I'm in the first group. Pay once and fagettaboutit.

First group for me too!
Old 12-24-2015, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by HamOnRye
US Mobile is certainly cheap, but there's no carryover from month to month. Looks like you have to setup and pay each month and try to figure out what your usage will be for that month. If you undershoot, you've got to go back and buy another block of data just to get you through the month.
The thing is, as you posted, you have a pretty good handle on your usage already. If that's the case, why pay anything? 200MB would cover you most months so the no-charge 200 MB T-Mobile for life promo is the way to go. And It's free. Not even one penny to pay beyond the sim for a one-time buck. That's $200 saved each year - not an inconsequential amount (at least for me).

BTW, that quote you made of mine was an older post made before my 30 month sub ran out. Like you, I saw how much data I was really using so I started up with US Mobile when the prepaid sub was done this summer. Now I'm switching to the free 200MB T-Mobile promo - the sim is on the way. I can always swap sims back and get a larger 1 month plan from US Mobile if I'll be doing a long road trip and would like to use Google Earth more often.
Old 12-26-2015, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Now I'm switching to the free 200MB T-Mobile promo - the sim is on the way. I can always swap sims back and get a larger 1 month plan from US Mobile if I'll be doing a long road trip and would like to use Google Earth more often.
I ordered the T-mobile promo sim yesterday. For a buck, it's worth a shot, although it seems like a very YMMV kinda deal. From the threads I've read on the subject, I only see one user who was able to get the sim activated by T-mobile and he had to falsely claim that it was for a tablet when he gave them the IMEI over the phone. Others have tried phone activation and were denied on the basis of their IMEI.

Anyway, if I'm able to achieve sim activation, what do I need to enter in my MMI to set it up? I'm assuming that I'll need to turn off roaming.

Quick Reply: Get yer' Prepaid Audi Connect!