Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Rear dashcam with automatic sunshade

Old 10-22-2017, 06:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear dashcam with automatic sunshade

Hi,
I just got a 2015 Audi A6 2.0T a couple months ago. I want to install 2 channel dashcam and still deciding between Blackvue DR750S-2CH or Thinkware F770-2CH.
For some reason I thought the rear sunshade was not going to be an issue, as on my friend's BMW F10 5 series, the sunshade still left a considerable gap to the top of rear window, leaving plenty of space above the sunshade for rear camera installation. So I just assumed my Audi is going to be the same, I thought I just need to install the camera beside the 3rd brake light.
Yesterday I get the sunshade up and realized the A6's sunshade is pretty tight, no way a camera can be installed above the sunshade (that said, A6 has a much better quality sunshade with dedicated rail and everything).
There is a gap in-between the shade and the window, but i'm not sure if the clearance is enough for the rear camera to stick there without interfering the sunshade operation.
Has anyone here with automatic sunshade installed rear dashcam successfully? I tried searching on this forum but i couldn't find one with rear dashcam installation on vehicle with rear automatic sunshade.
Thanks guys
Old 10-22-2017, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I mounted my rear facing camera on the windshield, next to teh forward facing camera (I have two separate cameras). It's not a perfect solution, but it works.
Old 10-22-2017, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by powertech83
Hi,<br />I just got a 2015 Audi A6 2.0T a couple months ago. I want to install 2 channel dashcam and still deciding between Blackvue DR750S-2CH or Thinkware F770-2CH.<br />For some reason I thought the rear sunshade was not going to be an issue, as on my friend's BMW F10 5 series, the sunshade still left a considerable gap to the top of rear window, leaving plenty of space above the sunshade for rear camera installation. So I just assumed my Audi is going to be the same, I thought I just need to install the camera beside the 3rd brake light.<br />Yesterday I get the sunshade up and realized the A6's sunshade is pretty tight, no way a camera can be installed above the sunshade (that said, A6 has a much better quality sunshade with dedicated rail and everything).<br />There is a gap in-between the shade and the window, but i'm not sure if the clearance is enough for the rear camera to stick there without interfering the sunshade operation.<br />Has anyone here with automatic sunshade installed rear dashcam successfully? I tried searching on this forum but i couldn't find one with rear dashcam installation on vehicle with rear automatic sunshade.<br />Thanks guys
Yes I have a rear camera installed with the sunshade. When the shade goes up it just barely kisses the camera at it passes by. Attached is picture.
Attached Thumbnails Rear dashcam with automatic sunshade-img_20171022_170442.jpg  
Old 10-22-2017, 08:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Nakedhoof
I mounted my rear facing camera on the windshield, next to teh forward facing camera (I have two separate cameras). It's not a perfect solution, but it works.
Oh ya that could work too, thanks!

Originally Posted by DanfZX14
Yes I have a rear camera installed with the sunshade. When the shade goes up it just barely kisses the camera at it passes by. Attached is picture.
Mind if i ask you what brand is your camera? I need to compare specs size wise with the camera I'm considering to buy.

Thanks guys for the response, I really appreciate it.
Old 10-22-2017, 08:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The Thinkware F770 rear camera also barely fits. The sunshade just barely touches it and maybe pushes it up by a mm or so. Not ideal but it works.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by powertech83
Oh ya that could work too, thanks!

Mind if i ask you what brand is your camera? I need to compare specs size wise with the camera I'm considering to buy.

Thanks guys for the response, I really appreciate it.
Compustar Dash CD-3200. Its also listed in my signature.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by DanfZX14
Can you please let us know where you got power to the read cam from? I am planning on adding a rear one, but wondering where is the best place to get power from. My front camera is getting power from the Garage door buttons.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by finzisa
Can you please let us know where you got power to the read cam from? I am planning on adding a rear one, but wondering where is the best place to get power from. My front camera is getting power from the Garage door buttons.
For my set up power comes from the front camera via a cable that runs between the two of them. It is tucked in along the headliner on the passengers side of the car. Originally we ran it down the drivers side but it was causing interference with the keyfob. If you are using a different camera I am not sure where you need to get power from.