Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

ACC and audi braking guard:unavailable

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 08:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ACC and audi braking guard:unavailable

Should I be worried about this? Happened when I was driving down a dark road, and I guess the car won't turn the feature back on while you're driving. Once I got home, I was able to restart the car and the error did not appear.

I searched and found a few similar posts, but was wondering what would cause this error exactly, and if it is common?
Attached Images  
Old 08-08-2014, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by koalaballa
Should I be worried about this? Happened when I was driving down a dark road, and I guess the car won't turn the feature back on while you're driving. Once I got home, I was able to restart the car and the error did not appear.

I searched and found a few similar posts, but was wondering what would cause this error exactly, and if it is common?
It has happened to me a couple of times but has not happened in over a year. Both times it happened I pulled off the road in order to safely turn car off and back on which cleared the problem. I did not, unfortunately, check the computers with my VAG-COM to see what errors were thrown. I would not be to worried unless it starts happening often.

Last edited by jr'sAudiA6; 08-22-2014 at 12:55 PM.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I would be more worried about leaving the car parked on its side!
Old 08-08-2014, 10:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Haha, not sure why the image uploaded sideways... its displayed correctly on my computer as a standalone image file.
Old 08-09-2014, 03:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had the same issue come up once and the dealer said they had to clean the sensors to fix it.. No idea what that meant, but havent seen the problem since..
Old 08-11-2014, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have seen the problem many times. Sometimes it is because the sensors on the front have gotten very dirty(if you have been driving in a lot of rain with spray off of other cars getting thrown on them)
Or more frequently, it is because you have been going along a stretch of road with no other traffic. If the sensors go a pre determined amount of time (I think it is 10 minutes) where they don't pick up anything, they will disable and you will get that message. That error and warning goes away for me as soon as I get close to another car again. Most frequently I have had that happen when I am on the interstate with no vehicles around me for a long time as well as no street signs or anything close to the road for the sensors to pick up.
Usually about the time that the front of my car gets even with the back of the car that I am passing, the error goes away and functionality is restored.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Happened to me also and the dealer mentioned that someone had hit my front bumper (traces were visible), probably disturbing the sensors in the process.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

When I had this problem in my A8 it turned out to be a faulty sensor that needed to be replaced.
Old 08-24-2014, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 93 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyncris
I have seen the problem many times. Sometimes it is because the sensors on the front have gotten very dirty(if you have been driving in a lot of rain with spray off of other cars getting thrown on them)
Or more frequently, it is because you have been going along a stretch of road with no other traffic. If the sensors go a pre determined amount of time (I think it is 10 minutes) where they don't pick up anything, they will disable and you will get that message. That error and warning goes away for me as soon as I get close to another car again. Most frequently I have had that happen when I am on the interstate with no vehicles around me for a long time as well as no street signs or anything close to the road for the sensors to pick up.
Usually about the time that the front of my car gets even with the back of the car that I am passing, the error goes away and functionality is restored.
I highly doubt that's normal - why would Audi design it that way? I've never had an ACC alert message, no matter how long driving with nothing in front for the sensor to pick up; it just keeps the car at the preset speed. Something seems amiss with your system.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

I think it's in the manual, or I read it on another forum, where it says that after some distance without anything along the road or other cars in front of you the ACC will disable. It's like the computer needs to recognize objects passing by to confirm that it's still "seeing" things. It's also in the manual that snow and ice accumulating on the sensors may cause the ACC to disable but I have never seen this with rain (even lots of it on a busy road).

Quick Reply: ACC and audi braking guard:unavailable