Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

had an A6 TDI loaner today

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 881 Likes on 720 Posts

The S6 is clearly the version of the C7 for those seeking performance.
Old 07-20-2014, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I absolutely love my A6. While I opted for the the 3T,with my driving style (not too aggressive, mostly city/suburb) either engine probably would had been fine. Honestly, the 2T would have been OK. One thing that dissuaded me from the TDI is that I had read (and this many or may not be true) that if you have frequent short trips, the TDI is not as good of an option. (Perhaps needing opportunity to burn off the residual ???).

Anyways- I have no regrets.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mike-nd
I absolutely love my A6. While I opted for the the 3T,with my driving style (not too aggressive, mostly city/suburb) either engine probably would had been fine. Honestly, the 2T would have been OK. One thing that dissuaded me from the TDI is that I had read (and this many or may not be true) that if you have frequent short trips, the TDI is not as good of an option. (Perhaps needing opportunity to burn off the residual ???).

Anyways- I have no regrets.
Stop and go traffic today...avg 33 indicated. Make your own call...

I'm very pleased with the TDI.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

I've been reading this thread with interest, and I believe that your choice of engines should be based on the where and how you drive. Round trip to my office is 100 miles on mostly flat New Jersey interstates. I had such a great experience on this route with our Q5 TDI that the choice of an A6 TDI was a no brainer. My Fuelly mileage (at the pump) after 5K is 36.2!

BTW I was given a S4 loaner for my 5K service (slightly more HP and torque than the 3.0 A6). In D mode off the line, I felt it was roughly equal to my A6 to 80. Above 80 it felt as though it had more power. The next day I tried the same blastoff with my A6 TDI in S mode, and it nailed me to my seat. Very happy with our 2 diesels (dos diesels)!

Last edited by macwm; 07-20-2014 at 05:05 PM.
Old 07-20-2014, 04:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default My thoughts on this discussion

I have been following this thread with interest as I recently purchased an A6 TDI after giving much thought to the 3T. I have a little under 3,000 miles on the TDI (about 50-50 split between short and long distance trips). While I have noticed some turbo lag, it has been nothing more than expected and in fact quite manageable as I have learned how to deal with the power curve.

I am thinking that something more maybe going on with the TDI detractors --- possibly some type of displacement or torque insecurity causing them to suffer from "diesel envy"
Old 07-20-2014, 08:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by guitars&cars
I am thinking that something more maybe going on with the TDI detractors --- possibly some type of displacement or torque insecurity causing them to suffer from "diesel envy"
Of all the observations offered in this thread so far, this one is the least constructive.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Get a sense of hurmo

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Of all the observations offered in this thread so far, this one is the least constructive.

Get a sense of humor, it's a car we're talking about - And FYI, my post DID contain a "constructive" point - I noted my observation that I was able to minimize the turbo lag once I learned to use the power curve. Have a nice day y'all and keep smiling.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

I think the concern is not mpg but the need for the engine to get hot enough to completely burn off oil. Again something I read and perhaps not a real issue.

Originally Posted by NoahWeb
Stop and go traffic today...avg 33 indicated. Make your own call...

I'm very pleased with the TDI.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have owned turbo gas powered Audis (S4, A4) and driven supercharged 3.o A6's. They all have their own personality. For top end the supercharged gas has to be the winner, for down low grunt the TDI (especially the new TDI V6 in the A6). For all the TDI's running in Europe (almost every car I rent in Munich during my frequent trips is a TDI) no one in Europe seems to be that bothered by any issues be it short trips or flat out on the Autobahn. From what I have read about 60% of all cars in Germany/Austria are Diesel.
I would just test drive all of them and buy what makes you happy. I drove the 2.0, 3.0T and the TDI A6 and the TDI was my favorite, when I was younger and loved things like my S4 I would have bought the 3.0T or if my wife liked the seats better the S6. Glad Audi has different flavors.
Almost 5000 miles on my 2014 A6 (built the last week of 2014 production) and no issues and love the car, overall 36.8 real MPG (gals burned vs miles the mpg computer is off about 3 mpg (high) the times I have checked it)
Old 07-21-2014, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mike-nd
I think the concern is not mpg but the need for the engine to get hot enough to completely burn off oil. Again something I read and perhaps not a real issue.
Again I disagree here. The regeneration cycle the TDI executes every 500-800 miles is designed to richen the fuel mixture to burn off and "clean" the exhaust system cats. Trust me when I say the EGT's jump noticeably while the TDI is engaged in this!!

Quick Reply: had an A6 TDI loaner today