Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Headlight indicator?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by newmoon
Honestly, I haven't seen the headlights come on just because the wipers come on. Because there's been a couple of times when I'm sitting behind another car and the wipers are on, but I can see the reflection of my lights and only the LED running lights are on (which are actually quite bright). So I go ahead and manually turn on the headlights. Maybe it's only LED headlights that come on with the wipers? I have a Premium Plus with HID headlights.
I have the LED's and I can confirm they do not come on when the wipers do. I wish they would as in my state you must have your headlights on if your wipers are on.
Old 06-15-2014, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

My LED headlights do come on with the wipers in Auto, but only after a couple of minutes of continuous wiper operation. I'm guessing it's designed to ensure there's a steady rain so they don't constantly switch on an off in a light drizzle.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
My LED headlights do come on with the wipers in Auto, but only after a couple of minutes of continuous wiper operation. I'm guessing it's designed to ensure there's a steady rain so they don't constantly switch on an off in a light drizzle.
+1, however, the Nav stays in DAY mode, very confusing, saw the reflection from the car in front before knowing the lights are on.
Normally, when the light comes on with the switch in auto, the Nav goes into night mode (if the map is set to auto day/night), not so when the wipers are on. Does your car do the same?
Old 06-19-2014, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by 13c7a6
+1, however, the Nav stays in DAY mode, very confusing, saw the reflection from the car in front before knowing the lights are on.
Normally, when the light comes on with the switch in auto, the Nav goes into night mode (if the map is set to auto day/night), not so when the wipers are on. Does your car do the same?
I believe the nav screen in auto mode operates from the same ambient light sensor as the auto headlights (and automatically varies the screen brightness). If so, when the headlights are activated by the wipers, that overrides the light sensor and would be independent of the nav screen. Which makes sense since it wouldn't be desirable for the nav screen to go into night mode during the day just because it's raining. In any case, I leave my nav in day mode all the time - I find the night mode is hard to read.