Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Help with HBA retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 06:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with HBA retrofit

So I decided to go down the path of retrofitting High Beam Assist on my 2013 A6. It is the Prestige package and already has almost everything built into the mirror already. I found myself a new mirror, 8K0857511E, that seemed to fit the bill nicely from what I found online. It "should" be the perfect replacement on my car. Now that I have it, I have two things I need to solve for.

First, I can't seem to get the old mirror off. It should be a simple matter of rotating counter clockwise and coming right off. Watching several video's on the subject, it looks easy enough. Looking at the new mirror, I see how it attaches and how the rear of the mirror has a dimple used to keep it from rotating on its own. However, when I try rotating it, I can't get it to move. I tried turning it about as hard as I dare so I don't break anything but will not budge. Is there something I am missing?

Second is the wiring. I know I will need to run additional wiring but what I am finding and what I have seems to conflict. The new mirror has all 8 wires going to the plug. The existing female connector from the car to the mirror has wires 1-6 with 7 and 8 empty. The information I am finding states CAN-High and CAN-Low should be pins 3 and 8. Since the these are basically balanced lines, they need to be twisted to suppress noise being introduced by other electronics. My existing wiring seems to indicate that pin 3 is already in place but makes no sense. I haven't traced them out yet but hoping to get a schematic to make things a little easier. I am also seeing that pin 7 should be the humidity sensor. Pretty sure my car has that already telling me that it exists at a different location. I see several people have done this before, which is where I am getting the information stated, but doesn't seem to match up with what I am seeing. Has anyone attempted this and can help get me some direction?

It was pretty hard to read but got the number off my existing mirror if that helps. It's 8T0857511.

Last edited by zeab; 06-18-2016 at 10:42 AM.
Old 06-20-2016, 11:42 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

Quite simple. You are correct that pins 3 and 8 are your Can High and Low wires. Your existing mirror turns dimming off automatically when the vehicle is placed into reverse. It knows to do this when it senses power over pin 3 as it is tied into the backup light in one of the rear tail lights. When the mirror is a HBA mirror, this signal is instead transmitted over the CAN system. I don't like cutting up original harnesses so I just removed the existing wire from pin 3 in the connector housing, folded it back onto the small harness, and taped it off with fabric wiring harness loom tape. Make sure you isolate it properly so it doesn't touch chassis ground at some point down the line. Its especially nice to do it this way if you ever want to put the original mirror back and transfer your HBA mirror into your next Audi...Then, take a repair wire with two leads (000979034E), cut it in half, and then put one of the new leads in the pin 3 terminal and the other into the pin 8 terminal. If your vehicle has a driver assistance camera in the windshield above the rain/light sensor (shaped like a triangle and used for Adaptive Cruise Control and Active Lane Assist), then you will be in luck as that module taps into the same CAN system as the HBA mirror. If you don't have that module, then you will need to run new wires on down to the drivers side lower a pillar behind the panel where the hood release latch is. There is a connector station down there with a CAN disconnect junction. You can tap into the extended CAN system there. Fas far as the wires, use automotive grade wire (teflon coated). If you want to do it really by the book, you can go to Audi or VW and buy a spool of already twisted CANbus wire. Its part number is 000979987. Runs about 50 bucks msrp. Make sure you use heat shrink style connectors for maximum connectivity and weatherproofing. After all, you are dealing with communication wires. Once all is completed, code the car and you're all set.
Old 06-21-2016, 04:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

That is some great information and looks like my life got a little easier. I do have ALA installed and was hoping you could tell me which wires I need to tap into to get to the CAN system. I will definitely utilize proper solder technics as well as heat shrink depending on what I find.

Also, any ideas on the mirror mount. I am really twisting pretty hard and it is not even moving a little. Based on the replacement mirror, counter clockwise is the way to go but I really don't want to break anything.
Old 06-22-2016, 12:49 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by zeab
That is some great information and looks like my life got a little easier. I do have ALA installed and was hoping you could tell me which wires I need to tap into to get to the CAN system. I will definitely utilize proper solder technics as well as heat shrink depending on what I find.

Also, any ideas on the mirror mount. I am really twisting pretty hard and it is not even moving a little. Based on the replacement mirror, counter clockwise is the way to go but I really don't want to break anything.
Actually I stand corrected. The CAN wires do not go to the camera control unit in your windshield. Instead, they go to the image processing control module under the passenger side floor carpet. Looks like you will be running them down the a-pillar trim anyway. /sadtrombone And I wouldn't just tuck them up into the a pillar trim as the airbag components are behind it. Make sure you remove the trim and route the wires properly for your safety and the safety of others. If you need to look up wiring diagrams and disassembly instructions, you can get a 1 day subscription at erwin.audiusa.com and download or print anything you wish. As far as the mirror, its a breakaway mirror for a reason. You can take a flat head screwdriver and put it between the mount and the mirror itself. With slight pressure on the mirror with your and and also with the screwdriver, pry it away from its mount to pop it off like it would if something hit it.
Old 06-22-2016, 05:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

OK, no biggy with running the wires down the pillar as I was already anticipating that. I also fully understand fully in keeping the wires safely tucked away to allow the air bag to deploy in an emergency. I got a wiring harness from KUFATEC so I could cannibalize it for the new run and allowing me to use their wire and connectors already terminated. Hoping this works as well as I am hoping. oddly enough, I am still way more nervous in getting the mirror off than the rest of the retrofit. With all the technology under mirror mount so gotta be super careful but I wish I knew why it won't twist off.

Certainly appreciate your help