Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A6 / S6 / RS 6 > A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011

Welcome to AudiWorld Forums!
Welcome to AudiWorld.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the AudiWorld Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-24-2014, 03:31 PM   #1
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 220741

Default Homelink range

The operating range for homelink on my new 2014 A6 is pretty terrible. I have to be nearly in front of the garage door and facing it for it to work.

Contrasting this with the 2012 S4 I traded in recently which would operate on the same garage door from down the street pointing in any direction.

Has anyone else noticed this difference? I fear it's simply a 'feature' of the A6's homelink transmitter and not anything I could have replaced, but it's worth seeing if anyone else has noticed the same and then mentioning to the dealer at my next visit.
thedjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 04:15 PM   #2
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 284214

Mine functions at about the middle to end of the driveway. Honda Odyssey that we have does about the same. The garage is detached and driveway is ~100 ft, and passes along the side of the house, so the range would probably be better in a newer home with attached garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedjm View Post
The operating range for homelink on my new 2014 A6 is pretty terrible. I have to be nearly in front of the garage door and facing it for it to work.

Contrasting this with the 2012 S4 I traded in recently which would operate on the same garage door from down the street pointing in any direction.

Has anyone else noticed this difference? I fear it's simply a 'feature' of the A6's homelink transmitter and not anything I could have replaced, but it's worth seeing if anyone else has noticed the same and then mentioning to the dealer at my next visit.
1990 Saab Turbo 900 SPG. Talladega Red
1985 Merkur XR4Ti. Strato Silver Metallic
mike-nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 05:01 PM   #3
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 266708

Mine is unbelievable. My Mercs would require me to be nearly touching the garage or gate to open them. I can be 75 feet from the gate transmitter facing a different direction and it'll work. On my street it will do my garage too, but it is lower and about 50ft away. Even my burly American SUVs never got that good of range.

Last edited by DasA6; 08-24-2014 at 05:03 PM.
DasA6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 05:31 PM   #4
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 148663

I'm getting three houses down from my garage.

Mind if you live in a city with a lot of wireless devices (WiFi, Cell phones, cordless home homes (do people still have those), baby monitors, etc) can all cause interference and thus limit range.
'07 A4 - Gone, meh
'04 allroad V8 - Gone, it was fun
NoahWeb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:06 PM   #5
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 244666

Mine works from the street in front of the neighbor's house. Prob 75 yards away. Never tried any further because never needed to.

Audio System
Audison BitOne DSP
Audison Voce AV5.1k amplifer
Eric Stevens Audio Ultra horns (HLCD)
Beyma 8G40 midbass
Dynaudio Esotar 1200 subwoofers (trunk baffle)

Other Mods
Bel STiR Plus, Blinder HP-905, BlackVue dash cams (front and rear), Black Optics grill, Window trim wrapped in gloss black vinyl, Rear and side emblems/badges painted matte black, LLumar ceramic tint (15% rear, 30% sides, AirBlue front)

subterFUSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:40 AM   #6
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 273391

thedjm - I think you have a problem. My 2014 A6 has the same range as my Acura and both are at least a house or two down the street from my house to operate.
Try programming your friends door on button #2 to isolate a car or a garage door issue.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:34 AM   #7
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 213809

Yeah, mine works a good 150' from my doors... I've been pretty impressed.
forza1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:51 AM   #8
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 216839

Mine works when I turn the corner which is about 175'.

2014 Audi A4, 2.0T, Prem Plus, Brilliant Black, Quattro, 18" Wheels

2013 Audi A6, 3.0T, Prestige, Phantom Black Pearl, 19" Sport Pkg. (gone)
2012 Audi A4, 2.0T, Prem Plus, Ibis White, CVT, 18" Wheels (gone)
2011 Audi A5, 2.0T, Prem Plus, Quartz Grey, 19" Sport Pkg. (gone)
DSL_PWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:56 AM   #9
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 138722

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedjm View Post

I have noticed mine feels somewhat lacking in range as well and even worse if the car's rear is facing the garage. My previous C6 S6 was better, and my Jeep Grand Cherokee has more range regardless of direction of travel.
As someone stated, it could have something to do with other interference.. I do have AT&T Digital Life home automation/security so i have a wireless garage tilt sensor on the garage door as well as a wireless outdoor camera nearby.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:40 AM   #10
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 170162

What brand openers do you have for those that have issues? I have a Craftsman myself. I have issues. Here is the kick, only an hot weather days. This past weekend with the humidity kicking in, I couldn't open the door unless I ran through it. Now I back in, so I attempt to open at the street which works most of the time. I also point the nose at the door as I swing around to back in. Neighbors have to think I am drunk. However in the heat, it will not work. My Nissan Pathfinder works all the time. I used to think I had problems, but my Q5 also has the same issue. Two Audis are a no go in heat, but my Nissan works. I personally think it is temp/heat/humidity related for me and the fact that the transponder is in the nose of the Audi I believe.

2013 A6 (C7) 3.0 Prestige. Estoril Blue
Mods: 35% tint all around, tinted tail lights. ABT trunk lid spoiler. Stasis Exhuast. Injen Intake. H&R Springs, Debadged, APR 93 Octane Tune, Stasis Sway Bar, all the cool vag com mods.
Planned: Black Optics, sub upgrade, trunk light upgrade, APR Supercharger pully upgrade

2014 Q5 3.0 Teak Brown Metallic Prem+, S-line+
Let the mods begin

2004 A6 (C5) 2.7T S line. Ming Blue (gone but not forgotten)
NVThs1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld
Audi R8

Paid Advertisement