Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Homelink range

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 03:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Homelink range

The operating range for homelink on my new 2014 A6 is pretty terrible. I have to be nearly in front of the garage door and facing it for it to work.

Contrasting this with the 2012 S4 I traded in recently which would operate on the same garage door from down the street pointing in any direction.

Has anyone else noticed this difference? I fear it's simply a 'feature' of the A6's homelink transmitter and not anything I could have replaced, but it's worth seeing if anyone else has noticed the same and then mentioning to the dealer at my next visit.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Mine functions at about the middle to end of the driveway. Honda Odyssey that we have does about the same. The garage is detached and driveway is ~100 ft, and passes along the side of the house, so the range would probably be better in a newer home with attached garage.

Originally Posted by thedjm
The operating range for homelink on my new 2014 A6 is pretty terrible. I have to be nearly in front of the garage door and facing it for it to work.

Contrasting this with the 2012 S4 I traded in recently which would operate on the same garage door from down the street pointing in any direction.

Has anyone else noticed this difference? I fear it's simply a 'feature' of the A6's homelink transmitter and not anything I could have replaced, but it's worth seeing if anyone else has noticed the same and then mentioning to the dealer at my next visit.
Old 08-24-2014, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is unbelievable. My Mercs would require me to be nearly touching the garage or gate to open them. I can be 75 feet from the gate transmitter facing a different direction and it'll work. On my street it will do my garage too, but it is lower and about 50ft away. Even my burly American SUVs never got that good of range.

Last edited by DasA6; 08-24-2014 at 05:03 PM.
Old 08-24-2014, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm getting three houses down from my garage.

Mind if you live in a city with a lot of wireless devices (WiFi, Cell phones, cordless home homes (do people still have those), baby monitors, etc) can all cause interference and thus limit range.
Old 08-24-2014, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Mine works from the street in front of the neighbor's house. Prob 75 yards away. Never tried any further because never needed to.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

thedjm - I think you have a problem. My 2014 A6 has the same range as my Acura and both are at least a house or two down the street from my house to operate.
Try programming your friends door on button #2 to isolate a car or a garage door issue.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah, mine works a good 150' from my doors... I've been pretty impressed.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Mine works when I turn the corner which is about 175'.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by thedjm

I have noticed mine feels somewhat lacking in range as well and even worse if the car's rear is facing the garage. My previous C6 S6 was better, and my Jeep Grand Cherokee has more range regardless of direction of travel.
As someone stated, it could have something to do with other interference.. I do have AT&T Digital Life home automation/security so i have a wireless garage tilt sensor on the garage door as well as a wireless outdoor camera nearby.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What brand openers do you have for those that have issues? I have a Craftsman myself. I have issues. Here is the kick, only an hot weather days. This past weekend with the humidity kicking in, I couldn't open the door unless I ran through it. Now I back in, so I attempt to open at the street which works most of the time. I also point the nose at the door as I swing around to back in. Neighbors have to think I am drunk. However in the heat, it will not work. My Nissan Pathfinder works all the time. I used to think I had problems, but my Q5 also has the same issue. Two Audis are a no go in heat, but my Nissan works. I personally think it is temp/heat/humidity related for me and the fact that the transponder is in the nose of the Audi I believe.

Quick Reply: Homelink range