Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Hood latches

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hood latches

One of the hood latches (passenger side) will not engaged after closing the hood. I slammed the hood few times but to no avail. I have to press on the hood to close properly. Not sure if cold weather is the root cause. Anyone?

Update: Nevermind, I fixed it. It is the weather. I sprayed some lube on the latch and now the spring on the latch is working as intended.

Last edited by fEArmE; 11-19-2014 at 01:27 PM.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by fEArmE
I sprayed some lube on the latch and now the spring on the latch is working as intended.
Good, quick fix! This sounds like something that is listed as being done at the scheduled service intervals and should be performed by Audi, assuming you have service done at an Audi dealer. I sometimes wonder if they actually do all these things. Just saying, he, he.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by irenesbob
Good, quick fix! This sounds like something that is listed as being done at the scheduled service intervals and should be performed by Audi, assuming you have service done at an Audi dealer. I sometimes wonder if they actually do all these things. Just saying, he, he.
I do not believe Audi dealer would lube the hood latches. I have a feeling that most dealers have the "dont fix it if it aint broke" mentality
Old 11-19-2014, 11:23 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fEArmE
One of the hood latches (passenger side) will not engaged after closing the hood. I slammed the hood few times but to no avail. I have to press on the hood to close properly. Not sure if cold weather is the root cause. Anyone?

Update: Nevermind, I fixed it. It is the weather. I sprayed some lube on the latch and now the spring on the latch is working as intended.
Had the same problem on the driver side hood latch. WD-40 fixed it
Old 11-20-2014, 02:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Same thing happened two weeks ago to me... Hood wouldn't latch on passenger side. Little graphite lube and exercised the latch manually fixed it. This should be a routine part of any "multipoint check"
Old 11-20-2014, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

I wonder if this problem is occurring because of the lack of “exercise" these latches get now that oil is checked via MMI. Many folks simply don't open/slam closed their hoods/bonnets any more, except to add wiper fluid and occasional antifreeze check. When I had a dipstick I was opening the hood at least once a week. Like they say, “use it or lose it” – lol. Anyway, just a thought.
Old 11-20-2014, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by irenesbob
I wonder if this problem is occurring because of the lack of “exercise" these latches get now that oil is checked via MMI. Many folks simply don't open/slam closed their hoods/bonnets any more, except to add wiper fluid and occasional antifreeze check. When I had a dipstick I was opening the hood at least once a week. Like they say, “use it or lose it” – lol. Anyway, just a thought.
That's not my case. I exercise the latches on a daily basis for 2+ years and this is the first time it was stuck due to cold weather.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Mine did this the other day when I topped off the oil. Pissed me off. I could push down the drivers side secondary latch with my finger but it wouldn't hook it would just spring back up. After a long drive home to really heat up the engine bay (it was only in the 40's and 50's out to get it stuck to begin with BTW) I got home, worked the latch release lever in the footwell pretty violently to really make sure I didn't have any slack there (although I'm sure there wasn't), walked back around front and the latch clicked right into place when i pressed it down. Released the latches again with the lever and the hood locked right in when I dropped it. While I'm pretty dissapointed any car would have issue with a hood latch let alone one with with 32k miles, I'm glad I didn't have to take it in. Lube probably would have freed up the other part of that locking mechanism under the surface but the engine bay is so clean I didn't want to add anything right away that would attract dirt and gunk over the long run. If the heat didn't work that was my next step.

Last edited by BetterThanVW; 12-03-2014 at 06:45 AM.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Lubed up my latches, but drivers side still would not latch. I ended up backing out the adjustment on the hood hold down locking bar. (Or whatever it is called) Both sides lock fine now.
Old 12-08-2014, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Have the same problem on the pass side. Have to slam it to get the sensor to turn off on the dash. Seems to be more of a sensor issue than latch in my case.

Quick Reply: Hood latches