Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

How about Pirelli P7 AS Tires ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by TVR1977
I, too, am a Michelin fan, and would not put Pirellis on any car.

However, if you are looking for an all season HP tire, and you get a moderate to high amount of snow where you live, I would consider the Continental DWS tire. They offer reasonable (good) performance in the dry, but in the snow, they are in a class of their own. I've had them on 2 previous Audi's and was pretty happy with them.
I had the DWS on my '09 A4 and I generally liked them. Only drawback for me was they had a softer sidewall than I was used to which reduced handling to a degree. A couple of years ago, the DWS was not available in the A6 OEM 19" size and the Bridgestone RE970AS was not available in the OEM 20" size which made my choice easy. Not sure if that is still true today.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I (and a few others on this forum) have put the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3s on their car and have been extremely impressed with them. Good tread life and UHP grade of grip.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

If anyone needs a set a 19" Michelin Pilot Sports (brand new) let me know. They are in the classifieds. Thanks.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Once again, there is a difference between the Pirelli P-zeros and the Pirelli All Seasons,

You can't base your thoughts on one based on experience with the other. FWIW, my Pirelli All Seasons now have 16,000 miles on, handle as good as the day they were new, no noise and minimal treadwear
Old 08-07-2014, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 874 Likes on 715 Posts

There are significant differences for even typical drivers by moving up in class from the Pirelli P7 AS tires to the Michelin Pilot Super Sport season dedicated tires. Take a look at Tire Rack test results and you will see that the Michelins stop in considerably fewer feet (15 fewer feet in dry and 25 fewer feet in wet) than the P7 AS tires. This is a big improvement for every day drivers and can be the difference between an accident and a non-event.

For the more active driver the upgrade from the P7 tires to the Super Sport tires can be seen with dry cornering improving from .83g to .98g and wet cornering improvement from .69g to .82g. The additional cornering of the Michelin Pilot SS can be enjoyed by those of us that like taking corners at highway speeds.

So for people interested in performance, whether typical drivers or spirited drivers, the stepping up from the Pirelli P7 to the Michelin Pilot SS may be worth it.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

My opinion and experiences still stand. I've owned Pirelli P6 all seasons (two different Audis) and Pirelli P-Zero summers and for various reasons disliked them all. I have no desire to try any other Pirelli tire again - there are too many other quality alternatives available.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by KevinGary
There are significant differences for even typical drivers by moving up in class from the Pirelli P7 AS tires to the Michelin Pilot Super Sport season dedicated tires.
The OP was not asking about summer tires (which is what the Pilot Super Sport is). The OP asked about a specific all season tire. You can not compare an all season tire to a summer tire - it is a fool's game. Any all season tire makes compromises compared to a pure summer tire. But many people like an all season tire based on where they live and how they drive
Old 08-08-2014, 09:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
My opinion and experiences still stand. I've owned Pirelli P6 all seasons (two different Audis) and Pirelli P-Zero summers and for various reasons disliked them all. I have no desire to try any other Pirelli tire again - there are too many other quality alternatives available.
You know, I once thought just like you. My past experience with other Pirelli tires was not good and I really had no desire to try them again. But things change and it is amazing what you can learn with an open mind.

Pirellis does make some good tires - and that is something if you asked me 2 years ago , it was a phrase I would have never uttered - I probably would have reacted like you. But I had an open mind when my dealer offered me these in place of the P-Zeros and I couldn't be more pleased. Not saying every single tire model Pirelli makes are good, just like any brand some are and some aren't. But the all seasons I have happen to be good

But I know I won't change your mind - that is ok, you are entitled to your opinion as am I. Others though should know that the Tire Rack customer surveys also rate the P7 AS tire the OP asked about extremely high as well

Last edited by Maverick61; 08-08-2014 at 09:26 PM.
Old 08-09-2014, 02:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 874 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick61
The OP was not asking about summer tires (which is what the Pilot Super Sport is). The OP asked about a specific all season tire. You can not compare an all season tire to a summer tire - it is a fool's game. Any all season tire makes compromises compared to a pure summer tire.
The OP is considering jumping from season dedicated tires to all season tires, which obviously has certain compromises as you concede. I was just noting that the compromises do exist and the OP should be aware of them.

Last edited by KevinGary; 08-09-2014 at 02:31 AM.
Old 08-09-2014, 03:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Maverick61
But I know I won't change your mind - that is ok, you are entitled to your opinion as am I.
Well, we do agree there, we each have our opinions and you won't change my mind. After being burned three times with Pirelli, why would I even want to consider trying them again when there's so many others with with which I've had good luck over the years? Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Bridgestone RE, Continental DWS, Yokohama W-Drive, Dunlop and even General Exclaim to name a few. Any one of those provided a superior experience to the Pirellis.

Keeping an open mind is fine for a second or maybe even a third chance. A fourth chance? Pretty sure that's a no for me.

Quick Reply: How about Pirelli P7 AS Tires ?