Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

How Much Google Earth On Standing-Still Tether?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

At this point I think it's worth taking the time to give a standing ovation for his work to get Ethernet access to his vehicle. What wonders this possibly could offer.

Could you please create a separate thread and detail these steps? Have you done a port scan on the car?
Old 08-22-2016, 09:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by spoon2000
In all candor (and the reason for never going with a data plan of some sort), I have never TRULY understood the attraction of having the Google Earth overlay in the first place. I mean, it's cool to be able to approach a location while driving friends and to say, "Hey, check this out, this is neat" and have everyone ooh and aah, but in terms of keeping one from making a wrong turn, etc., it's a relatively benign feature. Maybe Audi thought Google Earth onboard would score them mad props from the techies of the world that would have a spill-over coolness effect on the rest of the car. I dunno.

The horse has been beaten to a pulp repeatedly, but I agree with others who think Audi's "futurists" blew it when they cooked up MMI in the first place. I don't know how far in advance they had to develop the system, but they should have figured out that people would be able to use their smartphone to do almost everything MMI does, that somebody would come up with WAZE (far more effective than MMI), that onboard Google Earth was more nice-to-have than need-to-have, and so on. And then forcing people to sign with T-Mobile was the final insult. (Putting a 5 CD changer in the glove box didn't inspire my confidence in Audi's trend watchers either, but I digress.)

The far neater trick would have been to come up with a widely-appliable screen mirroring facility that people could use to use whatever app they wanted from their smartphone while driving, control it with voice commands and/or steering wheel buttons or touch screen, and then let people have their fun. Those non-techies who wished to stick with a default package of MMI apps could have done so.
To each their own I guess, but the main reason behind Google Earth on the nav is to make the maps more realistic. As simple as that. The next level is augmented reality, where the navigation system is using the HUD or Virtual Cockpit to project the turn by turn directions directly onto the real world. I find the Google Earth map easier to process visually and getting a Google Street View of the final destination at the end is a nice touch so I know which building to look for.

Things are in the early stages with our generation cars, but if you get a chance I'd recommend you test drive a new 2017 A4 or Q7 with the Virtual Cockpit and turn on Google Earth. It's a thing of beauty. Puts Android Auto and Car Play and anything smartphone to shame, frankly.

How in car navigation might look like in a few years:

Last edited by superswiss; 08-22-2016 at 09:48 PM.
Old 08-23-2016, 03:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

On my car, I do use Waze on the MMI display, but I think only C7 pre-facelift can do this since AMI is gone on the newer cars.

Re: the augmented reality system, I built these systems 15 years ago using head worn displays, and we can have them IF we track the head of the driver. The challenge is that your height and head position has a dramatic effect on where the road and other objects are placed hundreds of feet ahead. Slouch a bit and the lines angle up into the sky, lean a bit to one side and the graphic moves to the other.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by schalliol
At this point I think it's worth taking the time to give a standing ovation for his work to get Ethernet access to his vehicle. What wonders this possibly could offer.

Could you please create a separate thread and detail these steps? Have you done a port scan on the car?
There are a number of threads on the topic on a number of Audi-related forums, but here is a link to a good summary:
https://thetechycorner.wordpress.com...-google-earth/
Old 08-23-2016, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
How in car navigation might look like in a few years:
Now that WOULD be a useful mash-up of navigation and Google Maps.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

I live in a developing city and neighborhood. The Google Maps overlay lets me see new roads that aren't on my map, and helps with little short cuts.

As much as I would like to set up CarPlay, I know where I'm going enough, and have my iPhone 6+ on the dash to use as needed.
Old 08-23-2016, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I agree with the Google Earth addition to show us roads that aren't on the maps. My home's road was there for three years before my car was built but still nothing
Old 08-24-2016, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by schalliol
I agree with the Google Earth addition to show us roads that aren't on the maps. My home's road was there for three years before my car was built but still nothing
That's because you live in Indiana
Old 08-24-2016, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I guess I don't get it, where the heck is Frisco? I certainly have driven hundreds of miles of nothing in Texas
Old 08-24-2016, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ha ha just messing around..I don't know if there's any rhyme or reason for the Google Earth overlay. I'm pretty impressed with the speed in which the updates are coming over.

FYI - Frisco is a suburb or Dallas. Frisco is the 4th fastest growing city in U.S. at 6.3% in 2015 and is where the Dallas Cowboys recently relocated their headquarters.

Quick Reply: How Much Google Earth On Standing-Still Tether?